User Avatar Image

The Pros and Cons of Culture Shock

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 4.1K users
what did you like,what worked, and what would you like to see?
what didn't you like, what would you like improved?
start listing! :D
74 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Now, it's a good while since I last played HTR, but I also felt that the humor was even edgier in this game - as in more provocative and violent. Which is good!

Make it even nastier next time around! Sam and Max might look like a kid's game, but that's what makes it funny - the adult humor.

Also, like many have said, the voices are set too low compared to the music and sound effects on default. It's not a problem to adjust it, but still.

Wo wo wo!
  • baardhimself;11558 said:

Cons:
    $10,000 Puzzle was poor

Spoiler Warning!

The $10,000 puzzle was poor? It was hilarious! First realizing that you could actually shoot people's tail-lights out was pure hilarity in itself, but then figuring out that you could pull people over for it and fine them was even funnier! Getting your $10,000 was just the icing on the cake.
  • I loved everything. Maybe adding in some more resolutions would be nice *Cough* 1680 X 1050 *Cough*. Oh, and make the right mouse button do something more than look at stuff in your inventory. Maybe it could look at stuff OUTIDE your inventory... Other than that, everything was nigh on perfect.
  • All right, I'm not sure WHERE to post suggestions, but I guess this one's just fine. But first of all, I REALLY liked the game. Took me about 2.5 to 3 hours to finish, and got some really hilarious moments. Yet:

- Increase the polygon count for the characters. I'm sure that doubling the polys used on each character would still keep the game playable on lower-end machines. S&M was an improvement from Bone (Thorn looked VERY jaggy), and I know what a pain in the ass re-modeling can be (assuming you can keep the animation and just re-do the rigging), but still, I hope it can be upped, since the wonderful camera-work (close-ups) make this necessary, IMO.

- Scaaaaaale. I don't mean the length of the game, but the scope of it. Right now you're wandering around a relatively confined space. Taking the duo out for a road trip should be doable, and just having some scenes look "big" (something like a huge view across the landscape would help... doesn't have to be walkable), maybe having the walkable area allow for a 360 degree turn of the camera, to show all of the surroundings (the far ones don't have to be modeled, just like the city background in Ep1). "Hit the Road" did this (not the 360 degrees thingy) in quite a lot of scenes (Ball of Twine, Bungee Park, World of Fish), and it increased the epic ("road trippy") feel of the game.

- More attention to secondary characters. The animation of the secondary characters looked very simple for most parts. I know, lip-synching is a lot of work, and maybe you're already doing this, but can't the lip-synching animation be combined with the speech-files? Like, having the necessary phoneme-morphs for the faces ready, and just have each speech-file contain the lip-synch info (so that basically every character could say every line of text lip-synched the same way, without extra work, because each file just plays down the necessary phonemes from the "face morph library" of the particular character)? Hope this was understandable...
  • Narwaffle;11736 said:
    Spoiler Warning!

The $10,000 puzzle was poor? It was hilarious! First realizing that you could actually shoot people's tail-lights out was pure hilarity in itself, but then figuring out that you could pull people over for it and fine them was even funnier! Getting your $10,000 was just the icing on the cake.
    I didnt mind getting it but the whole fact that a guy would have $10,000 in his car.. that he phoned his attorney.. it felt like they needed a way to give them Sam and Max money but they couldnt think of anything so they almost GIVE it to you.
  • baardhimself;11795 said:
    I didnt mind getting it but the whole fact that a guy would have $10,000 in his car.. that he phoned his attorney.. it felt like they needed a way to give them Sam and Max money but they couldnt think of anything so they almost GIVE it to you.
    That seems to fit in, though. The whole thing is built around random convenient occurances... Sam makes some kind of comment about that near the end of the game, I think (can't say where; spoilers XD). They seemed so utterly sure that the way to get money was to pull over a rich driver that it couldn't NOT happen.
  • Personally I would have liked better controls for the car. The arrow keys on my keyboard, for example :)

For the rest, I loved the game. The student loan joke was good :cool:
  • Pvt._Public;11745 said:
    Maybe adding in some more resolutions would be nice *Cough* 1680 X 1050 *Cough*.
    I second that :D As far as the story and voicacting goes its pretty much perfect. I would have a few sugestions though. The steering of the car with the mouse wasn't really a good solution, I'd preferr the arrow keys on my keyboard. I#d also like to see a mini timewaster game included in every episode, like for this episode an extended action racing game with sam and max, just something you can play for fun that doesn't take much time and that you can play over and over after you finished the main game. Even though I'm not gonna complain about the difficulty level, I certainly wouldn't mind if it would rise in the next episodes. I was also missing a way to use max on things and combine stuff in the inventory. Oh and Laserschwert is right, it would be nice if you could up the poly count a bit. It looks good to me, but I know it could look even better :p
  • There's one thing that bothers me.
    Whenever a person says a line, the game zooms into a close-up of that character, except for Sam. A system where the camepera pans or pans & zooms to view the the person talking would be much nicer.

Perhaps when talking to Bosco, the camera could automatically zoom into a view where you see Bosco's face and on the side you see Sam's head. I'd enjoy the game using cinematic view angles much more than the instant hopping between character mugshots.
  • Ive been waiting for this game for 13 years so I cant help but compare it to the original... although bearing in mind its obviously going to be a lot shorter.

Pros : Just the fact that there is a new sam and max game is amazing, the graphics are great, the humour is there and the characters are really good. It was great to see Bosco's again. And Jesse James's hand!
    I loved the psychoanalysis bit. But....

Cons : TOO EASY! I finished it in under 4 hours which isnt bad and as long as I was expecting... but the puzzles are very linear... I need to get C to happen so ill use A on B and it will. Remember things like getting the twisted spanner to unscrew the metal fish and have it taken away on the helicopter in Hit the Road? Or making the Sasquatch costume? Thats what im talking about. One puzzle leads into another and the results are hilarious and much more rewarding.

As a sub game the driving was ok but could have been developed more. One of the best things about sam and max was the games some were worth playing in there own right and, quite frankly, driving the car with the mouse and shooting tail lights was too easy, repetitive and dull. Gator golf for instance was hilarious and included a difficult puzzle. The results of which were really funny as well.

Also the camera angles need some work. Sometimes I found myself looking at a close up of the back of maxs head. This is a bit sloppy... which brings me to the mess with the release of the activation key. :mad:

I think telltale have looked at what made the original game so good and thought about that in their design - I just think they need to look a little bit harder. Gameplay is THE most important factor in games like this and if they are going to make a comeback thats what needs to be concentrated on.

Edited... the sounds not great everyone talks like sylvester the cat ('schukering shuckertash') I just didnt notice at first cos I was so overjoyed to HEAR anything from sam n max! (I originally owned the floppy version)
Add Comment