User Avatar Image

The Pros and Cons of Culture Shock

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 4.1K users
what did you like,what worked, and what would you like to see?
what didn't you like, what would you like improved?
start listing! :D
74 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • PROS
    Everything that's been mentioned. In particular I like the visual style, the puzzles seemed fresh enough, the voice acting of both main as supporting cast are good, music is great (has it a very 'McConnell' sound to it, or is that me?)

Also, I like the interface the way it is. I don't mind "one action"; mostly you'll be only able to "examine" anyways. You get enough "That's not gonna work"'s when you try to use items on objects as it is.

CONS
    - The talk animations didn't convince me too much. It's not so much an issue of lipsync to me, more an issue of lack of expression. The characters look like cartoon characters, but are animated (when talking) like 'realistic' 3D characters. Max is fine, but with a big mouth like that it's easy to be expressive. Sam seemed alright too. But Sybil for instance barely moves her mouth. Of course, she doesn't have to move it like crazy if she doesn't want to, but that's when bad lipsync shows. Not saying the lipsync in this game is awful; personally I've never seen good, convincing lipsync anywhere ever. It baffles me people are still even trying.

- It's been mentioned before: Max doesn't do much. It's more "Sam" than "Sam and Max". The game would work perfectly well without him at all.

- Punctuation consistency in the dialogue options seemed a bit off. Not that a lot of people really care about such things, but it should be covered now anyway with Squinky aboard ;)

- One specific glitch: Max would often 'jump' from one place in the room to another; and I mean instantly, between frames. It would mostly occur when he's been kicked up by Sam, and Sam starts talking immediately afterwards. Max would then instantly be positioned right to deliver his lines, in stead of first finishing his animation.

- One other specific glitch: you'd sometimes click on the edge of the screen to make Sam walk, and he'd walk to a completely different spot in the room.
  • User Avatar Image
    Vog
    PROS:
    - Sam and Max(!!!)
    - Graphic
    - Sam and Max (!!!)
    - everything else except my cons :D
    - and: Sam and Max (!!!)

CONS:
    - 1. Far too short even for just one episode. Less than 2 hours :(
    - 2. For me, who played Adventures since DOS exists, it was far to easy...could be the reason for point 1. I just stuck 5 mins to disable the Graffiti guy. It was the same thing with "Geheimakte: Tunguska" (however it's called in english) or other current adventures... just clicking my way until the end of the game without to think about what I could do next because mostly it's obvious what I need to do next.
  • Could someone tell me what happened to the original Desoto? why the convertible? And at Boscos store in Hit the Road, was the kid in his store like a guy working there, cuz he got his lower lip stretched complitly over his head. I might have answered that question myself, being that Bosco is black and thats cool and all. guess things dont really need to run together with hit the Road.

Main thing: What happened to the Desoto.

Telltale u guys need to put Snuckys back in. Unless Bosco's replaces Snuckys.
  • Bosco is black? I thought he was grey
  • J-Blade;14507 said:
    Main thing: What happened to the Desoto.
    In game: Click on the bent parking meter and you'll find out.

In real life: I'm lead to believe that Steve Purcell decided to go with the newer Desoto. And why not? 'tis a fine automobile. Big 'n' beefy enough to run over motorbikes yet also stylin'. Or maybe because sam is a big dog and felt that being able to stick his head out the window wasn't enough. :p
  • Pvt._Public;14511 said:
    In game: Click on the bent parking meter and you'll find out.

In real life: I'm lead to believe that Steve Purcell decided to go with the newer Desoto. And why not? 'tis a fine automobile. Big 'n' beefy enough to run over motorbikes yet also stylin'. Or maybe because sam is a big dog and felt that being able to stick his head out the window wasn't enough. :p
    well its a change ill have to get used to. Just means no more Highway mini games for Max, being that he cant stand on the roof of the desoto.
  • J-Blade;14556 said:
    well its a change ill have to get used to. Just means no more Highway mini games for Max, being that he cant stand on the roof of the desoto.
    I thought that too. But I guess Highway surfin' is always achievable by standing on the bonnet. That way Sam can't see where he's driving and it's twice as fun!
  • PROS:
    Personally I thought they got everything pretty damned close to perfection (game of the year, as far as I'm concerned), so the best I can come up with are some

PEDANTIC QUIBBLES:
    -Poor use of positive/negative space, particularly when I need Sam to walk large distances (the street scene). I don't really need to see much of what's behind Sam, but if I could see more of what's in front of him, I wouldn't have to click as constantly to keep him moving (this has bugged me for fifteen years of adventure gaming; I think there may be something wrong with me).
    -Unable to continue moving around whilst Sam is still delivering his "look at" dialogue. He can't walk and talk at the same time?!? (Again, fifteen years, something wrong, me).
    -Blind obediance to the almighty 4:3 aspect ratio. Seriously, this is meant to be the age of flying cars and trips to the moon, y'know?
    -Being able to double-click on an exit to cut straight to the next scene would get rid of some petty frustration when "I just want to go THERE, dammit!"
  • Pros: Great game with good clean humor.

Cons: It does seem to have a memory leak. It gets sluggish after a while and when I close GameTap, WinXP is complaining about not enough virtual memory. I have 512MB installed and nearly 40GB of free HD space.

Thanks for the great game TellTale.
  • First, I didn't have any of the mentioned technical issues, everything ran smoothly for me.

I agree with most on the music being awsome.

The jokes were great, but they would have been really improved with a better acting. Not from the voices, but from the 3D models: they mostly use the same face to say something funny, something problematic, something witty, something angry, etc. There where times when I knew they where saying something funny, but I just couldn't laugh because of the lack of expression in their faces (remember that about a 70% of a message meaning depends on the non-verbal part of the comunication).

The game was short, but ok for it's price. I think most complains come because we're used to play big games, and it'll take some time until people get used to the idea of an "intentionally" short game. But that'll change once we've got more episodes available. I guess we'll see by the end of the season if I'm right...
    Anyway, TellTale have done a great job giving the game a "bigger" sense by leting you click on almost anything, but I think this should be improved by adding secondary charachters which don't have to have anything to do with the story (for example, Flint on Hit the Road was awsome, and he didn't even appeared!). This would also help to give the game world a more "live" feeling.

The other thing I miss from Hit the Road, but to which I think I'll get used to (I know, they're different games...), is the absense of alternative actions (look at, use, etc.). I'd love to use Max as an item again, or to hear Sam's amusing sobbing after forcing him to do something he can't...

So, as a final note, I'm really enjoying the series so far, but it still can be even better. Keep on the good job, TellTale! and Thanks!
Add Comment