User Avatar Image

The Last Resort or Escape From Monkey Island

posted by roberttitus on - last edited - Viewed by 2.2K users
Ok.... I know this is the Wallace & Gromit thread, but lets be impartial. I have been waiting for the Last Resort since the day that Fright of the Bumblebees came out on the XBLA. Thing is that it is taking its own sweet time in showing up on the marketplace. I only have 1551 points & now that Secret of Monkey Isle (sorry... I messed up the title of this thread) is released, I posed with a rather difficult choice. Should I get it or wait for TLR? Any suggestions?
64 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • roberttitus;164279 said:
    Ok.... I know this is the Wallace & Gromit thread, but lets be impartial. I have been waiting for the Last Resort since the day that Fright of the Bumblebees came out on the XBLA. Thing is that it is taking its own sweet time in showing up on the marketplace. I only have 1551 points & now that EFMI is released, I posed with a rather difficult choice. Should I get it or wait for TLR? Any suggestions?
    Do you mean Tales of Monkey Island? If so, I personally loved Tales a lot more than The Last Resort, but The Last Resort is still good.

    If it were up to me, I'd pick TMI.
  • Pale Man;164282 said:
    Do you mean Tales of Monkey Island? If so, I personally loved Tales a lot more than The Last Resort, but The Last Resort is still good.

    If it were up to me, I'd pick TMI.
    You beat me too it... I corrected myself sadly a second too late (yet we are still talking about two different games). I have never played a Monkey Island game before, but I played the demo & it didn't seem anywhere near as funny as people make it out to be (although I don't find W&G to be all that funny either, but I still like it), but at least it seemed remotely interesting.

    How long is the full game?
  • roberttitus;164286 said:

    How long is the full game?
    If you mean individual episodes, then between 3 and 4 hours each, like the rest of the Telltale games.
    The whole season? I couldn't possibly know, but 20 hours or so seems like a good estimation.
  • Megaloman;164304 said:
    If you mean individual episodes, then between 3 and 4 hours each, like the rest of the Telltale games.
    The whole season? I couldn't possibly know, but 20 hours or so seems like a good estimation.
    What are you talking about? I'm talking about the XBLA game the Secret of Monkey Island. Why would I ask about a game that isn't even released for the 360 when talking about microsoft points? No disrespect intended.
  • Just to clear the smoke and mirrors, nobody seems to have a clue that you are referring to The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition that just released today. I've played the original SoMI (and plan on getting the special edition), as well as the last resort on PC. To choose between them is a very difficult call, as I really can't say I like one more than the other. They are both gems in their own way, and if possible I'd say save up and get both. I know that doesn't help you choose, but it's the best I can do.
  • roberttitus;164332 said:
    What are you talking about? I'm talking about the XBLA game the Secret of Monkey Island. Why would I ask about a game that isn't even released for the 360 when talking about microsoft points? No disrespect intended.
    Ah, if you're talking about Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition, I can also highly recommend that game. Secret of Monkey Island is one of my all-time favorite adventure games, not just for the humor, but the puzzles are also brilliantly designed.

    I would also choose Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition over The Last Resort, if I had to choose. :)
  • They are both great games... it's a shame you can't just buy 100 Microsoft points. Dang point setup scheme.

    But wow. Tough decision. I say get monkey Island and then just buy more points when Last Resort comes out. (But who knows when that's going to be?)
  • roberttitus;164332 said:
    What are you talking about? I'm talking about the XBLA game the Secret of Monkey Island. Why would I ask about a game that isn't even released for the 360 when talking about microsoft points? No disrespect intended.
    Whoops, I just assumed that you meant Tales. Since SoMI is packed with things to discover and solve I don't really know how long it'll be. I remember that it was one of the longer Lucasarts games I played back in the 90's.
  • The last resort is great but NOTHIN beats SoMI
  • Why not just spend the extra £5/$5 and get both, I know there's a credit crunch on but surely things cannot be that bad.
This discussion has been closed.