User Avatar Image

Who is playing the Monkey Island series for first time

posted by shaark on - last edited - Viewed by 290 users
Anything you want to comment on? Your thoughts on the Monkey Island series from the point of view of a newbie?
15 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • pretty sure they are few and far between i have been playing monkey island for nearly 20 years and im only 25
  • Guess most of us are veterans. Old. Bitter. Pig-smellin'.
    :)
    Seriously - my first time was with LCR, long time ago in totally different world. Couldn't understand most of it (hey, I was in my prime school, with one lesson of English a week), used walkthrough, didn't understand most of the jokes, but still loved it.
  • Think new players to MI might get intimidated by your singling out to post. I'm sure there are lurkers around who are playing MI for the first time.
  • Intimidating? Me? But I'm your friend! My name's... :)
    Didn't mean to intimidate anyone. I guess MI community is one of the friendliest and almost everybody's welcome...
  • ...I'm a newbie. A friend said I should buy this, and he's good with choosing good games, so I did.
    Monkey Island is great and funny. I'm sure there's references I'm missing, but it doesn't change the fact the game is awesome.
  • Me! And loving it. However, I also watched a complete playthrough of CoMI and the 5 minute cartoon for SoMI in order to get alot of the in-jokes.
  • Novotnus;166063 said:
    Intimidating? Me? But I'm your friend! My name's... :)
    Didn't mean to intimidate anyone. I guess MI community is one of the friendliest and almost everybody's welcome...
    Just stay away from the insult swordfighters.
  • hplikelike;166126 said:
    Just stay away from the insult swordfighters.
    Well, I am one of those, but I don't bite. In fact, I am glad when I can help with something... if I can, that is. Just don't insult me. ;)
  • Mad Mary;166163 said:
    Well, I am one of those, but I don't bite. In fact, I am glad when I can help with something... if I can, that is. Just don't insult me. ;)
    You fight like a diary farmer.
  • I actually had never heard of MI until TT came out with ToMI. (Hmm, I wonder if I can put any other acronyms in that sentence?) The funny thing is, I considered myself an adventure gamer, because I grew up on all the old Sierra games and try to keep up with good up n' coming adventure games. Somehow I managed to miss the very presence of LucasArts, though, and so missed out on being a veteran MI player.

Once they announced, though, I got a hold of the games and started playing. I finished MI 1 and 2 before caving and playing ToMI, and have since finished MI3. (I'll get to MI4 as soon as I figure out how to make it run on my computer. I hate Vista 64).

I really liked ToMI, its very humorous, beautifully rendered, and has an engaging plot. I was well aware of when I was missing a reference, though, and it kind of bothered me, but its more the perfectionist in me than anything. I think it would stand alone, well, but is much more enhanced by knowledge of the previous games. I guess one advantage is I have no ideals to shatter about what a character should be like or anything like that. Having played them so close together, unlike veterans, its easy for me to accept a character, i.e. Elaine, in ToMI as it is to accept her style of character in the earlier games. They all just sort of . . . blend together.
Add Comment