User Avatar Image

Tales of monkey island on wii is unbearable

posted by cywarlock on - last edited - Viewed by 14.8K users
I love the monkey island series like many of us do but i cant even pretend to be satisfied with the product i've bought on wiiware today. for 10 dollars i dont expect the mona lisa but i sure as hell expect a game that functions without the insane amount of frame rate issues. so im just wondering... is this going to be fixed via update or is telltale going to lose customers?
163 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well, ten bucks isn't too much of a risk, for those of you who want to judge the Wii version for yourselves. If you're not too concerned about polish, the game is highly enjoyable, and I thought it was a worthy addition to the Monkey Island franchise, in terms of puzzles and atmosphere.

I'm thinking about using the "Crossover Games" program that was mentioned on the forum here someplace, to check out the PC version.
  • User Avatar Image
    Macfly77 Moderator
    Frederick Kim;173038 said:
    Well, ten bucks isn't too much of a risk, for those of you who want to judge the Wii version for yourselves. If you're not too concerned about polish, the game is highly enjoyable, and I thought it was a worthy addition to the Monkey Island franchise, in terms of puzzles and atmosphere.

I'm thinking about using the "Crossover Games" program that was mentioned on the forum here someplace, to check out the PC version.
    I played through the whole game on my Mac using CrossOver Games and did not encounter any problem.
    Should you decide to check it out, follow the instructions on the tips/tricks tab of the Tales of Monkey Island page on the Code Weavers website.
    It also works with most other Telltale point-and-click games (not with Wallace and Gromit for me, though)!
  • [TTG said:
    Yare;172617']Please quit with the console fanboy stuff.
    The Wii and DS are extremely underpowered and their popularity doesn't remove the hardware limitations
    If Telltale is just a bunch of console bashing hypocrites, then I'm not sure I want to play their games. Why make a game for a console and then just insult it?
  • natlinxz;173070 said:
    If Telltale is just a bunch of console bashing hypocrites, then I'm not sure I want to play their games. Why make a game for a console and then just insult it?
    How is it insulting to say that a console is underpowered? Especially when the console IS underpowered and it's a well known fact that it's underpowered?
  • Pale Man;173072 said:
    How is it insulting to say that a console is underpowered? Especially when the console IS underpowered and it's a well known fact that it's underpowered?
    he also said something about the DS having a worse processor than a toaster. And the Wii is not underpowered. It can run mario galaxy just fine. It's underpowered when you try porting halo 3 or Crysis to it.
  • natlinxz;173073 said:
    he also said something about the DS having a worse processor than a toaster. And the Wii is not underpowered. It can run mario galaxy just fine. It's underpowered when you try porting halo 3 or Crysis to it.
    The Wii's video capabilities are equivalent to approximately 7 year old video cards on the PC, that's pretty underpowered.
  • Pale Man;173079 said:
    The Wii's video capabilities are equivalent to approximately 7 year old video cards on the PC, that's pretty underpowered.
    So you are saying the wii doesn't have as much graphics capabilities as it requires? I don't know about you, but Mario Kart Wii and Brawl work just fine for me.

By your logic, the Xbox 360 is also underpowered...when you try to run PS3 games on it. So the argument that the Wii is underpowered just doesn't make sense.

Nintendo seems to have games working fine on it, but some games just can't be ported. The 360 can't have every game ported to it either, and neither can the PS3 for that matter.
  • To those questioning, if you can play it on the PC do it. I thought it would be a comparable experience and it is not so I am switching over. I also think the problems might vary system to system. I bought mine first day and it seems to run far worse on it than others are claiming. I just wish I could get some credit back :'(
  • natlinxz;173083 said:
    So you are saying the wii doesn't have as much graphics capabilities as it requires? I don't know about you, but Mario Kart Wii and Brawl work just fine for me.
    This is like comparing apples to oranges. Mario Kart and Brawl are disc-based titles, so their resources don't have to be hyper-compressed. Uncompressed resources mean less time is spent decompressing them at run time.

Also, remember when I posted this?

profit = ( (game price) * (copies sold) ) - (development cost)
    Profit can be (and is often) negative, by the way. You can trivially deduce from this equation that a company that expects to sell more copies at a higher price can afford to spend more on development.

Unfortunately, copies sold is not a variable dependent on development cost. There are a lot of great games out there with very high production values that do mediocre sales. Valkyria Chronicles, Little Big Planet, and so on.
  • Well, originally, the wiis built in flash memory was for virtual console games. Most of which are in the KB. So Nintendo didn't see the need for a lot of space. When the Wiiware games came out, there wasn't a whole lot of space in a console designed for downloading NES games. But Nintendo had to start wiiware. Without some form of online distribution, they would lose a huge audience.

However, now that they have SD card support, they really should remove the 40 meg limit.
This discussion has been closed.