Telltale Autumn Sale

Tales of monkey island on wii is unbearable

245

Comments

  • edited July 2009
    Aeterna wrote: »
    I looked up a video of the Wii version on youtube (link)

    And the mentioned things (framerate, sound horribly static) seem okay.
    Can't say anything about the subtitles though as the person recorded it used a camcorder or something.

    Hey! It doesn't look that bad. Standard wiiware kinda graphic/performance.

    I think people just have too high an expectation of it being an AA production, without realising that there is just simply no way for the current Wii to handle big downloadable content and answer to high performance demands.

    I think the game should satisfy the majority of Wii gamers. Remember, a big proportion of people who owns the Wii ain't that big on PC gaming anyway.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm sorry, maybe I just don't get it. But achievements truly seem like a waste to me.

    Replayability. And bragging rights.

    And I watched the video linked above. Jesus christ the sound hurts. And everybody looks wider.
  • edited July 2009
    smashing wrote: »
    Hey! It doesn't look that bad. Standard wiiware kinda graphic/performance.

    I think people just have too high an expectation of it being an AA production, without realising that there is just simply no way for the current Wii to handle big downloadable content and answer to high performance demands.

    I think the game should satisfy the majority of Wii gamers. Remember, a big proportion of people who owns the Wii ain't that big on PC gaming anyway.

    Just watched it - actually looks fine to me. A little choppy but no so much so that it would render it unplayable.
  • edited July 2009
    Obviously, Nintendo's at fault here. But I do think that Telltale should've seen the problems with releasing the game on the service, and predicted any shortcomings and balanced it against their reputation.

    I will buy further episodes, but I do think this could leave a bad taste in many Wii owners mouths. I haven't bought the PC version of the game because my laptop and home PC are garbage.

    And it seems as if patches aren't possible on the Wii. Nintendo had a problem with Wii Sports Resort, and have to provide an entire system update just to fix it. When there was a problem with Star Fox 64 on the VC, you had to re-download the game again with the fixes.

    Anyways, I'd hope that Telltale could possibly release each episode in two chunks or so. Say you beat the first chunk on Chapter 1, the game could then prompt you to download the next. I'm not sure how this fits into WiiWare's rules, or if TT would even want to bother, but it's just an idea.

    Great game though, shame it's rough around the edges on the Wii is all.
  • edited July 2009
    Pale Man wrote: »
    Liar! It's only ~1.43 times the price of the season set!

    For EU-citizens it's twice the price. 25€ for PC, 50€ for Wii.
  • edited July 2009
    Yeah, all these reports are very disappointing :(

    I was planning to get an episode (when available in EU) just to try it out also on the Wii, but my expectations have just sank :(

    Dan2593 wrote: »
    I barley touch my wii because I don't feel I achieved anything and It doesn't seem very.. personal

    :eek:
    Hey! Which of your wiis are you talking about here?? That's gross!

    ... :D

    Alrighty, I'm going to try again, this time by adjusting a few settings on my Wii.

    Duh? Is this a joke? Which settings are available on the Wii that can affect performances? :confused:
  • edited July 2009
    Wow... I didn't expect it to be THAT bad. No offense, TTG team, we know it's not your fault! For a 40Mb game it's great! ...but it may not be so great from a novice's point of view.
    Damn...is there any way to fix this in the future episodes?
  • edited July 2009
    Marzhin wrote: »
    I didn't try the Wii version, but I have a question to the people who did and have problems with it : are you playing from the Wii hard-drive or from the SD card ?

    well im playing from the wii hard drive though i didnt know there was supposed to be a difference
  • edited July 2009
    cywarlock wrote: »
    well im playing from the wii hard drive though i didnt know there was supposed to be a difference

    I don't think there should be a difference, but you never know ^^
  • edited July 2009
    I have to disagree with everyone giving Telltale a free pass on this, instead blaming Nintendo and the 40MB restriction. If the best TT could do on WiiWare is a subpar port with such severe technical problems, they should have just avoided the platform and gone with something less restrictive, like XBLA. All they've accomplished is giving themselves a bad reputation with Wii owners and possibly turning newcomers off to the whole Monkey Island series. I don't think we should be affording TT any such excuses. They've been around long enough to know better and I really would have expected them to show their customers more respect.
  • edited July 2009
    Whoever bought it on wii is retarded

    I love the wii for its exclusive.. but other games dont seem to work too well with a few exceptions

    MI is only for PC

    though i wouldnt have mind seeing how it wouldve worked on my 360 or ps3..

    but if u have the console + pc..
    always pc (for MI i mean)
  • edited July 2009
    hamzie wrote: »
    Whoever bought it on wii is retarded

    Maybe those people didn't have a PC capable of running it. Or maybe they just wanted to try it on the Wii for a change, to see what it was like. Or maybe they just really like playing games on their Wii, so chose it over PC. Don't be so rude.

    --

    Anyway, I haven't seen it on Wii yet but if these reports are anything to go by I think that TT either need to fix this or seriously reconsider the Wii as a viable platform for their games, sadly. I'll wait to see what more people say.
  • edited July 2009
    schlew wrote: »
    Obviously, Nintendo's at fault here. But I do think that Telltale should've seen the problems with releasing the game on the service, and predicted any shortcomings and balanced it against their reputation.

    I don't think Nintendo is at fault. Nintendo sets standards, and companies are supposed to make games within the limits. Like you said, TellTale should have realized that ToMI would not play in an acceptable way and never released it.

    I got it on WiiWare version because my computer played ToMI awful and I figured that it would play better on a console. But I found out it plays just the same if not worse on the Wii.... I wish I could get my money back
  • edited July 2009
    Maybe those people didn't have a PC capable of running it. Or maybe they just wanted to try it on the Wii for a change, to see what it was like. Or maybe they just really like playing games on their Wii, so chose it over PC. Don't be so rude.

    --

    Anyway, I haven't seen it on Wii yet but if these reports are anything to go by I think that TT either need to fix this or seriously reconsider the Wii as a viable platform for their games, sadly. I'll wait to see what more people say.

    It's great for games like SBCG4AP. From what I read, though, the games which require a lot of graphics should stay with other platforms.
  • edited July 2009
    Marzhin wrote: »
    I didn't try the Wii version, but I have a question to the people who did and have problems with it : are you playing from the Wii hard-drive or from the SD card ?

    I played from the system memory and the SD card both times it looked and sounded like a car crash!! It really is that bad to me!
  • edited July 2009
    I don't think Nintendo is at fault. Nintendo sets standards, and companies are supposed to make games within the limits. Like you said, TellTale should have realized that ToMI would not play in an acceptable way and never released it.

    I got it on WiiWare version because my computer played ToMI awful and I figured that it would play better on a console. But I found out it plays just the same if not worse on the Wii.... I wish I could get my money back

    They should have realized that the wii would be a bad port and went with the xbox 360 as the port or no port at all!
  • edited July 2009
    hplikelike wrote: »
    It's great for games like SBCG4AP. From what I read, though, the games which require a lot of graphics should stay with other platforms.

    Woooh! Now ToMI is a high performance game, and not a crappy adventure game that should run on machines on integrated graphic cards, or PC that are 4 to 5 years old?

    Anyway, the point is it make logical sense to have ToMI on the wii, seeing that it is the biggest console around, and the ability to reach a crowd beyond those who are acquainted with PC games or other high graphic intensive games. Look at the audience Wii is hitting. With a game so accessible to the casual crowd, people who wanted more than just seek-a-hidden object games will seek out for something more, something like ToMI. Being deterred by the technical challenges should not cause TT to shy away from Wii.

    In fact, I applaud them to keep the game faithful to the PC game released earlier.
  • edited July 2009
    I was looking forward to trying out the Wii version as well.

    Maybe after the WiiWare releases are out, they can release a disc version? That would likely solve the audio compression problems, not sure if it would affect the frame rate.
  • edited July 2009
    smashing wrote: »
    Woooh! Now ToMI is a high performance game, and not a crappy adventure game that should run on machines on integrated graphic cards, or PC that are 4 to 5 years old?

    Anyway, the point is it make logical sense to have ToMI on the wii, seeing that it is the biggest console around, and the ability to reach a crowd beyond those who are acquainted with PC games or other high graphic intensive games. Look at the audience Wii is hitting. With a game so accessible to the casual crowd, people who wanted more than just seek-a-hidden object games will seek out for something more, something like ToMI. Being deterred by the technical challenges should not cause TT to shy away from Wii.

    In fact, I applaud them to keep the game faithful to the PC game released earlier.
    Um, my PC is 4 to 5 years old... :(
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    The voices and textures are the way they are because we're limited to 40 megs for WiiWare titles. The PC versions of our games are usually 150+ megs, and most modern games range anywhere from 1-10 gigabytes or more. Talk to Nintendo about this one.

    Frame rate issues will probably get sorted out eventually, but keep in mind that the Wii is just not a powerful console. An iPhone is much more powerful than a Wii, even.
  • edited July 2009
    Might be worth for you scrapping the Wii, it will save you more time for PC, it will avoid unhappy customers, as we say here, either one does it right or not at all, and having a game lag on console, its unacceptable by any standarts.

    Might be best to just refund Wii owners and scrap it on wii :)

    Anyone having the skills of moving verb wheel and that inventory over into a screenshot of Tales of Monkey Island, im sure it would fit PERFECTLY! :)
  • edited July 2009
    RMJ1984 wrote: »
    having a game lag on console, its unacceptable by any standarts.

    I agree. lag on PC is one thing, but on a console it should not happen
  • edited July 2009
    I did not realize that there was a 40mb limit on wiiware games, but it does explain a lot. However, if TT knew that those were the constraints of publishing on the system, they should have taken a long hard look at what they were doing. I have been a die hard fan for years, and although I enjoyed ToMI, those errors I listed earlier are really inexcusable . If the system isn't powerful enough for it, don't put it on it. And for the naysayers that watched a video, and think that proves we're all just nuts... Well it does run alright at times, but when there are a lot of animations/characters/actions going on in the same scene it tends to hang up quite a bit. Guess this all means I need to buy a new PC so I can play ToMI without issue...

    Other than technical issues, LOVE THIS GAME!
  • edited July 2009
    I did not realize that there was a 40mb limit on wiiware games, but it does explain a lot. However, if TT knew that those were the constraints of publishing on the system, they should have taken a long hard look at what they were doing. I have been a die hard fan for years, and although I enjoyed ToMI, those errors I listed earlier are really inexcusable . If the system isn't powerful enough for it, don't put it on it. And for the naysayers that watched a video, and think that proves we're all just nuts... Well it does run alright at times, but when there are a lot of animations/characters/actions going on in the same scene it tends to hang up quite a bit. Guess this all means I need to buy a new PC so I can play ToMI without issue...

    Other than technical issues, LOVE THIS GAME!


    Dude has a point. The reasons for wanting to release on Wiiware are obvious, but there are standards of quality to uphold too, surely. 'The Wii just isn't very powerful' doesn't seem to be a particularly good excuse because it makes one wonder why the game was crammed onto it in the first place.

    But it's good that the issues will (hopefully) be fixed.
  • edited July 2009
    Dude has a point. The reasons for wanting to release on Wiiware are obvious, but there are standards of quality to uphold too, surely. 'The Wii just isn't very powerful' doesn't seem to be a particularly good excuse because it makes one wonder why the game was crammed onto it in the first place.

    But it's good that the issues will (hopefully) be fixed.

    I think it was probably Lucasarts' idea to jam it onto the Wii regardless of anything else, and while it's a good idea to put an adventure game on the Wii, as the controls work perfectly for TMI, it'd would've been MUCH more enjoyable as a disc release, rather than WiiWare. Sam and Max Save the World on Wii, for all its faults, puts TMI to shame.
  • edited July 2009
    Other than technical issues, LOVE THIS GAME!

    I agree, it really is a great Monkey Island game! The puzzles, the atmosphere, all the zaniness you can only get from Guybrush Threepwood. That's what makes the roughness of the Wii version so annoying, but even so, I'm glad to have this franchise back. Thanks to Telltale for making it happen.
  • edited July 2009
    Pale Man wrote: »
    I think it was probably Lucasarts' idea to jam it onto the Wii regardless of anything else, and while it's a good idea to put an adventure game on the Wii, as the controls work perfectly for TMI, it'd would've been MUCH more enjoyable as a disc release, rather than WiiWare. Sam and Max Save the World on Wii, for all its faults, puts TMI to shame.

    I wouldn't count on it being much to do with LucasArts. That's highly speculative and probably inaccurate. Lucasarts, just like all the other companies TTG have licensed IP from, probably have little to nothing to do with decisions like that. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

    As for the controls, yes, I see how they would be perfect for Wii.
  • edited July 2009
    I wouldn't count on it being much to do with LucasArts. That's highly speculative and probably inaccurate. Lucasarts, just like all the other companies TTG have licensed IP from, probably have little to nothing to do with decisions like that. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

    As for the controls, yes, I see how they would be perfect for Wii.

    I would imagine that Lucasarts would have some say in what platforms it would be developed for, I doubt they'd just blindly sign the rights over and say "do what you want"
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    RMJ1984 wrote: »
    as we say here, either one does it right or not at all, and having a game lag on console, its unacceptable by any standarts.

    Frame rate issues are obviously not good, but I think you may be exaggerating a little. I'm having a hard time thinking of a Wii (or any console) title that is free from lag. Most games are more action-oriented, though, and their slowdowns usually happen during intense, action-packed moments and wind up looking unintentionally cinematic.
  • edited July 2009
    It was already said before by a wise sage

    "The Wii is a piece of shit"
  • edited July 2009
    Gotta love the trolls who just have to keep telling Wii owners to get another system, or their system sucks. :rolleyes:
  • edited July 2009
    I'm sure Telltale is flattered that everyone is willing to throw LucasArts to the dogs when it comes to the product, but from Telltale's past few releases I get the impression that it's their idea.

    I think it's understandable to be annoyed, as a PC customer, that development on another platform that you'll never see is holding back the product you want.
    Gotta love the trolls who just have to keep telling Wii owners to get another system, or their system sucks. :rolleyes:
    Yes, trolls like one of Telltale's own engineers. The Wii is not powerful, that is a TECHNOLOGICAL FACT, not an opinion. To develop for it, you need simpler textures. And Wiiware's limited filesize is 40mb, this is a TECHNOLOGICAL FACT that limits downloadable titles on that platform. Wiiware has the LOWEST LIMIT of all major download platforms. These are facts, not opinionated comments meant to incite anger.
  • edited July 2009
    pele325 wrote: »
    I have to disagree with everyone giving Telltale a free pass on this, instead blaming Nintendo and the 40MB restriction. If the best TT could do on WiiWare is a subpar port with such severe technical problems, they should have just avoided the platform and gone with something less restrictive, like XBLA. All they've accomplished is giving themselves a bad reputation with Wii owners and possibly turning newcomers off to the whole Monkey Island series. I don't think we should be affording TT any such excuses. They've been around long enough to know better and I really would have expected them to show their customers more respect.
    If it's as bad as these people said, yeah - I agree completely. I'm tempted to buy and download it to see for myself.
  • edited July 2009
    i'm so p***ed off over this, i was tempted to get a wii because of sam and mac ports and few other games.

    However, TOMI is what made me decide to go buy a second hand wii.

    So after finding out that the port is watered-down experience, i'm pretty irritated. I was hoping to play it on the wii because i didn't expect any lag (since it's on a console after all)

    The wii is probably the worst purchase i've ever made in my life and i'm kicking myself over and over for not buying a fecking xbox. I have absolutely no games to look forward to and i'm not going to buy TOMI for the wii anymore.

    Telltale better release it on the disc!

    £120 down the drain...
  • edited July 2009
    I think it's understandable to be annoyed, as a PC customer, that development on another platform that you'll never see is holding back the product you want.

    Only if you're a little kid. How exactly is the Wii "holding back" the product you want? You may as well blame the market, or Telltale, or life in general. Being angry at a gaming system is juvenile.
    Yes, trolls like one of Telltale's own engineers. The Wii is not powerful, that is a TECHNOLOGICAL FACT, not an opinion. To develop for it, you need simpler textures. And Wiiware's limited filesize is 40mb, this is a TECHNOLOGICAL FACT that limits downloadable titles on that platform. Wiiware has the LOWEST LIMIT of all major download platforms. These are facts, not opinionated comments meant to incite anger.

    Thanks for using ALL CAPS at the appropriate INTERVALS to make YOUR POINT!

    The Wii may not be the most powerful platform on the market (though it is an innovative one). Calling it a POS in a Wii specific thread is just trolling, and claiming that trolling is "merely being honest" is a tired old tactic.
  • edited July 2009
    Only if you're a little kid. How exactly is the Wii "holding back" the product you want? You may as well blame the market, or Telltale, or life in general. Being angry at a gaming system is juvenile.
    No, there's a technological logic behind it. If Telltale has to develop with the Wii's limitations in mind, then they simply cannot make a product that fully takes advantage of the PC platform. Holding back certain developments for the limitations of another system more or less adds the limitations of the Wii to the PC version.

    I bought TOMI on the PC, but the game is made with the assumption that it will be played on a Wii. Wii users get the benefit that it will run on their system(though apparently not too well), I get the benefit of that fact holding back the PC release.
    Thanks for using ALL CAPS at the appropriate INTERVALS to make YOUR POINT!
    I never realized that putting emphasis on important aspects was a bad thing.
    The Wii may not be the most powerful platform on the market (though it is an innovative one). Calling it a POS in a Wii specific thread is just trolling, and claiming that trolling is "merely being honest" is a tired old tactic.
    Or it's stating the facts of the technology. I really don't care for "console vs" discussions, because it generally boils down to childish screaming matches after the technical specs are gone over. But those technical specs are now affecting the product I want, and I don't really like that too much at all.
  • edited July 2009
    No, there's a technological logic behind it. If Telltale has to develop with the Wii's limitations in mind, then they simply cannot make a product that fully takes advantage of the PC platform. Holding back certain developments for the limitations of another system more or less adds the limitations of the Wii to the PC version.

    Everything you said just backs up my earlier post (if what you claim here is true, which I find doubtful). You may as well be angry about market forces, which cause Telltale to seek out Wii gamers, or Telltale itself for being too "lazy" to create different versions of the game, in the same manner as the Ghostbusters video game.

    I find it much more likely there are other reasons Telltale isn't putting in the developments you want, such as time, budget and manpower issues.
  • edited July 2009
    Everything you said just backs up my earlier post (if what you claim here is true, which I find doubtful). You may as well be angry about market forces, which cause Telltale to seek out Wii gamers
    I believe you misread me. I am actually iffy about Telltale's decision to release it on the Wii in the first place. I am not mad at the Wii itself specifically. I enjoy the thing. I love Boom Blox, WarioLand, and Endless Ocean. But I don't think ports from other systems work for it, and I think developing for Wii and PC is a bad idea. Another option is to develop exclusively for the Wii, but I'd hate to miss out on the benefits I get from them for a PC release.
    or Telltale itself for being too "lazy" to create different versions of the game, in the same manner as the Ghostbusters video game.
    Telltale does not have the resources of the Ghostbusters game. The thing was developed for $15 million dollars and with a HUGE team of developers with as much time as they could possibly need. This is not the situation Telltale is in, and I'm actually fairly happy with this in most cases.
    I find it much more likely there are other reasons Telltale isn't putting in the developments you want, such as time, budget and manpower issues.
    Except that this is not the case for Sam and Max and Wallace and Gromit, their games built for the PC or the PC and a less limited platform. Now while it's true that a lto more money and a lot more people would allow them to overcome these, it's just not worth it for what they'd get out of it, unlike something more mainstream like the Ghostbusters retail release.
  • edited July 2009
    Having seen the flash video on youtube I must say it does not look as bad as people complain here. The framerate while not fully reaching the pc version looks fine to me, the audio compression oh well, especially Elaine has suffered but it is understandable even for me and I am not a native speaker. I am really tempted to buy it for the wii just to check out the complaints.

    The PC version is better of course (well even Mario 64 looks better on a PC but that is a different issue) but the wii and especially wiiware has technical limits and to judge by the youtube video telltale did one hell of a job to port it.
  • edited July 2009
    Has anybody from Tell Tale commented about the Wii issue?
This discussion has been closed.