116 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • i very much disagree with that score. i would give this epidsode an 8.5. i loved all of it, from begining to end.
  • If the guy says Merfolks are the greatest blasphemy happening to Monkey Island, it's sure he never played Monkey Kombat. Merfolks fits the story fine and Spinner Cay is just beautyfull.
  • Why does everyone hate monkey combat?
    It was a nice little puzzle.
    Are you upset because you needed to get a pen and paper out to solve that one?
  • bobdevis;185549 said:
    Why does everyone hate monkey combat?
    I used the chart on the playstation version
  • bobdevis;185549 said:
    - Too many fights
    - Too many moves and combinations
    - Boring and not challenging
    - Not funny
    - Very repetitive
    I don't say EfMI was bad. I liked it, it has some good moments (Rasputin, whole reeducation thing and grim atmosphere of this little island, swordfight with Ozzie just to list a few) but Monkey Kombat wasn't fun for me.
  • Naaah. You could use the moves that you know to tempt the opponent into making the moves you didn't know yet and so learning all moves very fast.
  • That's still very repetitive.
  • I find it interesting that the reviewer uses half of the review to complain about the Merfolk not fitting in, yet never gives a reason why they do not fit in...
  • bobdevis;185549 said:
    I like puzzles, but that was going too far. It was just too long and very repetitive.. It seemed like they were trying to go for something like insult sword fighting, but it just fell flat.

The sword fighting worked because, although you had to remember a lot it was all pretty funny and you could logically work all of it out, even if you forgot what the correct response was.. With Monkey Kombat, we had nothing but "oop, eek, ack" sounds that you had to remember in correct combinations, as well as which stance was effective against each other stance. It wasn't funny and it wasn't memorable, just a complete nuisance.

I have to say I found the Merfolk to be hilarious, especially the one that kept flirting with Guybrush. :D
  • Haggis;185648 said:
    I find it interesting that the reviewer uses half of the review to complain about the Merfolk not fitting in, yet never gives a reason why they do not fit in...
    Bacause there wasn't merfolk in MI2 and MI2 is the fucking holy grail of MOnkey Island and they never should do any new to the MI-Universe cause MI2 is perfection and they never should made LeChuck human and the Merfolk isn't Monkey Islandish because did you see Merfolk in Monkey Island 2, besides from the strange skeletons in LeChucks high-fantsay fortress? I didn't. So: There you go.

People like you destroyed the SAGA cause you like the Merfolk. Guess you adored Jar Jar Binks back in Episode 1. n00b. I played SMI when i was the age of 3!
Add Comment