User Avatar Image

Problem with Tales of Monkey Island

posted by cacophonypop on - last edited - Viewed by 3.3K users
Hi

I have just downloaded ToMI chapters 1 and 2 ... I haven't yet tried chapter 2, but I can't get chapter 1 to work. I've tried a load of suggestions from the other threads but nothing seems to be making any difference.

Basically, I launch the game, nothing happens for a minute or two, then I get a black screen for about 3 or 4 minutes. The lucasarts/telltale screen comes up, and at the bottom is a whole bunch of brown and green squares. The menu screen comes up, and I can see the right hand side (which says monkey island etc) fine, but the left hand side, which I assume must be text like load game is brown and green squares. I also have no mouse cursor once it gets past the black screen, but if you move the mouse about enough the squares get bigger (must be when the mouse is pointing to them) I managed to start the game once by clicking away like this, but graphics were painfully slow and a page full of those brown and green squares reappeared at which point I couldn't get any further.

My drivers are all up to date, please help!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:
37 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Here's a screenshot of the problem
  • oops, it didnt attach
  • Just incase anyone else has this problem, I've now sorted it. Copied everything to external hard drive, formatted my laptop and reinstalled drivers and it appears to be working now
  • I'm having this problem too, but is there a way to solve it that doesn't involve reformatting my laptop? I don't own an external hard drive and even if I did, that seems kind of excessive.
  • I am having the same problem, I really do not want to reformat my laptop for this, someone please help!
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    So you are all Laptop users?
    Please tell me the Manufacturer and exact Model.

Further please give us some more information:
    dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then e.g. zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • My laptop is crappy but I figured I'd be able to run ToMI. I've had graphical problems with games before due to the integrated graphics on my latop.

Here's my DXDiag...

http://www.filedropper.com/dxdiag_2
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    StaticChu;199976 said:
    My laptop is crappy but I figured I'd be able to run ToMI. I've had graphical problems with games before due to the integrated graphics on my latop.
    This looks promising.

Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
    Driver Date/Size: 6/29/2007 11:15:18, 2363392 bytes
    Some old graphics driver, probably the reason for the problem.
    Please download and install the latest Intel GMA 965 Driver

Description: Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)
    Date and Size: 11/2/2006 05:06:49, 235520 bytes
    I would also suggest that you install the latest Realtek HDA driver.
  • Thx for the advice!

I actually just got the game to work by downloading a prefs file you uploaded in another thread, the 800x600 windowed quality 1 prefs file. Game is running OK so far, no more green and brown square blotches where text should be and the fps is gone way up.

I'll get the new drivers and post back if it worked to get the game running on a better quality.
  • I can't run the intel driver's installation; it tells me I need to go to my computer's manufacturer (dell) and I found the same driver as what the first guy listed.
This discussion has been closed.