List Everything You Liked about ANF

"Where are the positive threads", "why are people so mean". Well jeez, if you wanted a positive thread so badly why don't you just make one instead of complaining lmao. It's not that hard. So what did you like about ANF?

I'll list mine:

• Less bugs/glitches (I know there were some issues for others but I had none)

• I enjoyed David, Ava and Dr Lingard's characters

• Further proof that Kenny is literally a God

• Fact that Conrad can survive 'til the end. Although I still think he's one of the worst determinant characters in the series, the mere fact that he can survive is sweet.

• When Javier and David were being bros and the thot wasn't in the mix. I guess this is because I've always wanted Luke and Nick's relationship to be explored more but it never did.

• Clem shooting David depending on whether you shot Kenny was pretty cool

• 2nd Kenny flashback was the pinnacle of fanservice but it was still the best damn part of the whole game

• Loved the atmosphere in the 1st Jane flashback, and I'm happy the writers kept her character consistent

• Seeing Edith and Carver again, something I would've never expected. Plus Rebecca, Luke and Sarita being mentioned was cool.

• The mirroring between Gabe intervening between Javi vs David and Javi vs Conrad. Although it goes nowhere, and tbh I have no idea what point it's trying to make, but it was nice knowing at one point they put effort into it

• Story generator. Although I hate it for what it represents, since it's just a marketing tool and a device to trick fans, the questions and the multiple "types" you can end with are cool.

• And most IMPORTANTLY the crowd play feature!! Yo that thing is hella lit! Do you understand how many boring parties that thing has saved?!

What about you? Yes you! This forum is dead af so please answer

Comments

• edited September 16

(Waiting for a whole group of people to say nothing)
    Javier and his bat were cool.
    And also I told ppl to make a positive place cos I don't even use the TT forums that much anymore so it would be completely useless for me to create anything, and enough people around here have hissyfits over the smallest things so it will do some good if the negative people make the threads and not the positive people

• I really liked that I had to buy a DX12 card so I can play this.

• The system seemed to transition between scenes smoother than S2.

• Conrad s determinant handling , David s character arc , the ending where David dies and Kate dissapears ((Cause i think that death scene was alot better than Gabe s .))
    and most of the time i liked how Gabe was handled althought Telltale did jump the gun with Gabe in episode 4 making it so that no matter what if Conrad died no matter what relationship you had with Gabe he still snitches on you which i found pretty stupid even thought i did keep Conrad alive my first playthought.

• edited September 17

The best part of ANF was, by far, the credits after the game was over... and the little "delete game from library" option that promptly accompanied it.

• Use of flashbacks - I'm talking about the Javier ones more than the Clementine ones. Good, effective way to give the character some development. I wish they had done similar things with superior characters such as Lee in season 1 and Kenny in season 2.

Ava vs Tripp choice - Exciting, adrenaline fuelled, action driven choice. Something we haven't really seen in s1 or 2, probably because they aren't as action driven as season 3.

• edited September 17

The struggle is real.

• Conrad's determinant handling... only in episode 3... kind of. Now, I just wanted to make clear that I enjoyed the extent that he was involved in the plot, not how his character was handled and also that I'm only referring to his handling in episode 3, because in episodes 4 and 5 it was kinda bad. For as much as I liked his little revenge plot and the choice to have him shoot Badger, I don't think anyone can deny that Conrad's character does a complete 180º in episode 3. He held a kid at gunpoint just a few hours ago, just to have a sudden change of heart and apologize for no apparent reason, I felt it was bad handling, still, good determinant involvement.

• Joan's episode 3 character. Though she's butchered completely in the following episode, ahah, kms.

• The Kenny/Jane/Wellington/Alone flashbacks both in episode 1 and 4. Also Ava's flashback. Not saying that I liked that they killed, you know, everything the fans gave a damn about, but these flashbacks were the only instances in ANF where it felt you are actually playing "Season 3".

• Clementine's determinant actions and lines based on ending. For as few as they were... I also felt like it shouldn't have just been based on ending but on other decisions as well.

• The story generator. I wish they delved more into each one of the "42 Clementines", but oh well.

• The "your Clementine became..." screen. Though I wish they delved more into each one of the "42 Clementines".

• The relationship thingies by the end of the Season and also the choice panels with each character. Though it would've been cooler if such character's had impacted me in any way at all, and that the choices surrounding them were interesting in the slightest... which they weren't. For the future; it would be also cool to have relationship thingies for every character we interact with, not just some, and that it be shown to us throughout the Season, like in Batman... just don't make it only depend on one single choice... like in Batman.

It's sad that pretty much all I enjoyed was more involved with the continuation of S2 than ANF itself. I can't stress enough how sad I feel that they killed Kenny and Jane. I'm not sure how they'll ever have me caring from now on, but I hope they manage in S4.

• edited September 17

Javi was one of the few likable characters in the season - although that's probably because he was the PC.

Clementine was still "my" Clementine...if that makes sense. She's witnessed almost every kind of human to emerge from the zombie apocalypse: flesh-eaters (walkers), unrepentant psychopaths (Carver,) self-righteous brutes (David), backstabbers (Vern), killers-in-disguise (Lily), bitter cynics (Jane), pitiful weaklings (Ben), well-meaning fools (Kenny), sheltered victims (Sarah), and desperate assholes (the St. Johns) . Each person is an example of what Clem could become in this environment if she allowed herself to, and as a result she's evolved into something which transcends all of them. I saw much of that in Clem's characterization in S3.

That's all I've got.

• Well...

I thought Javier's voice actor did a great job.

I liked the episode 4 Kenny flashback.

I liked the twist of the Ava or Tripp choice.

...I can't really think of anything else. ANF was just plain bad.

• edited September 17

Conrad s determinant handling

Agreed

, the ending where David dies and Kate dissapears ((Cause i think that death scene was alot better than Gabe s

Yeah, it definitely opens up possibilities. I just don't think it's likely that they'll really take advantage of them.

most of the time i liked how Gabe was handled althought Telltale did jump the gun with Gabe in episode 4 making it so that no matter what if Conrad died no matter what relationship you had with Gabe he still snitches on you which i found pretty stupid even thought i did keep Conrad alive my first playthought.

Agreed.

UrbanRodrik posted: »

Conrad s determinant handling , David s character arc , the ending where David dies and Kate dissapears ((Cause i think that death

• Use of flashbacks - I'm talking about the Javier ones more than the Clementine ones. Good, effective way to give the character some development.

Agreed.

Ava vs Tripp choice - Exciting, adrenaline fuelled, action driven choice. Something we haven't really seen in s1 or 2, probably because they aren't as action driven as season 3.

Agreed, though it could've easily sucked without the twist.

wdfan posted: »

Use of flashbacks - I'm talking about the Javier ones more than the Clementine ones. Good, effective way to give the character som

• Conrad's determinant handling... only in episode 3... kind of. Now, I just wanted to make clear that I enjoyed the extent that he was involved in the plot, not how his character was handled and also that I'm only referring to his handling in episode 3, because in episodes 4 and 5 it was kinda bad. For as much as I liked his little revenge plot and the choice to have him shoot Badger, I don't think anyone can deny that Conrad's character does a complete 180º in episode 3. He held a kid at gunpoint just a few hours ago, just to have a sudden change of heart and apologize for no apparent reason, I felt it was bad handling, still, good determinant involvement.

I definitely wish they did a little more with him, yes, but the idea was sound enough.

Joan's episode 3 character.
    Clementine's determinant actions and lines based on ending. For as few as they were... I also felt like it shouldn't have just been based on ending but on other decisions as well.

Agreed.

The relationship thingies by the end of the Season and also the choice panels with each character.

Agreed.

just don't make it only depend on one single choice... like in Batman.

Woah, spoilers!

The struggle is real. * Conrad's determinant handling... only in episode 3... kind of. Now, I just wanted to make clear that

• Javier, while not really a character I'm particularly avid about one way or the other, was at least a neat little change of pace from previous playable characters and most of the possible issues I could have with him has more to do with the story itself.

Kate, for what comparatively little love and decreasing attention she was given, was at least the one character I liked in Part 1.

Max won 2nd place in Part 1 and stayed relatively strong until he unfortunately disappeared from the story. He almost singlehandlely made the villains side of things interesting and added the bulk of the moral ambiguity before Gabe, Conrad, and the Council did.

Gabe grew on me fairly quickly once he actually came into focus and was the most consistently interesting character, though I definitely think Thicker than Water and especially From the Gallows wasted him a bit.

Conrad grew on me slower than Gabe, but he helped add some much needed stakes and more moral ambiguity to the story. His vitriol with Clementine was one of the things that made her presence tolerable early on and it's actually one of the few disappointing aspects of Above the Law.

Ava. :blush:

Joan in Episode 3 in part for adding more diversity to the Rogue's Gallery in more ways than one and being a breath of fresh air compared to Carver(which I realize isn't saying much), to the point that she's up there on my list of wasted characters. Hence I've been very mixed on her characterization shift in Thicker than Water for obvious reasons.

The idea of the Richmond Council.

The flashbacks as a storytelling concept. They weren't all gold(except the third one), but I at least think it was good way of giving exposition, however outdated in some cases.

The twist on the Ava or Tripp choice, which really could've sucked without it. A brilliant twist on the Telltale formula that almost makes up for Joan's characterization shift. Almost, but not close.

The multiple endings in theory. The actual execution, particularly where Kate and especially Gabe in one of them are concerned, is bullshit. And Clementine is a walking STD to your save file.

The relationship end screens. This was something that was sorely missing from Season 2 and I appreciate.

• Javier
    • Clementine
    • Gabe's death
    • Lucilling Badger
    • Kenny Flashback Episode 4
    • Choices mattering
    • Finishing the game
  • edited September 17

enter image description here

enter image description here

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited September 17

Aside from some of the character models looking a bit waxy at times and the Kenny/Jane models in Episode 1, I really liked the increase in production qualities and what they did with the engine. Although the comic art style from S1/2 is more distinct, the characters and environments had a higher fidelity which was much appreciated. In future games, keeping the same fidelity of the models while borrowing a little more out of the classic Season 1/2 art style would be a good mix. Mixing in realistic character models/textures with the comic sketch lines can be a bit odd at times, but I hope that Telltale doesn't mistake that as people not liking the increase in character model detail as opposed to Seasons 1/2.

What they did with Conrad as a determinant character was also really impressive, with all the variations his story can have.

Although some may see the final execution of the Javier storyline as a bit mixed in areas, I personally liked that Telltale was willing to experiment with new characters besides Clem. I've said this before, but although I'm in the minority, I'm actually in the camp that thought Telltale should've gone all in on Javier instead of including Clem but using her mostly for five minute flashbacks in four of the five episodes. Javier's story definitely wasn't flawless, but I liked the general idea of focusing on focusing on different walks of life in the apocalypse (similar to what 400 Days also tried).

• edited September 17

Well... what did I like...

• The Episode 4 Kenny flashback was nice, I guess.
    • Max was an interesting character but just disappeared after Ep3.
    • I liked Conrad as a determinant character - but only in Ep3.
    • The relationships at the end were nice.
    • Badger's death with that sexy bat.
    • Joan in Ep3.

That's it really.

• choices mattering a little bit more
    • The way the endings are achieved. Instead of a binary "Press X or Press B" choice, the endings start to get defined since the begining. The only problems are a) All endings are shit and b) So much randomness (what determines what Clementine does? Random shit that makes no sense)
    • Nothing else.
  • I just don't think it's likely that they'll really take advantage of them.

That really depends on how much effort Telltale wants to put into that. As of the final episode, the writers seemingly put a lot of effort into progressing his character, making him more likable, and making people actually WANT to keep him alive as a result. I can't imagine the writers would willingly go through all of that effort only to end up writing him off like they've done with OTHER determinant characters before.

DabigRG posted: »

Conrad s determinant handling Agreed , the ending where David dies and Kate dissapears ((Cause i think that death sc

• I was talking about Kate.

patrickrc95 posted: »

I just don't think it's likely that they'll really take advantage of them. That really depends on how much effort Telltale

• Oh yea. I see your point.

DabigRG posted: »

I was talking about Kate.

• edited September 19
    • I kinda liked Gabe. I know, I know, it's weird, but I never hated him, and he was the most realistic and consistent character of all of them. I also liked his death scene, it was the best death scene in the game.

• Joan was good too, especially in Episode 3. They kinda ruined her a little bit in Episode 4, and she never came back if she lived, but oh well, it was good while it lasted.

• Some soundtracks were awesome, the one where Javi fights his brother is my favorite.

• The "edgy" Clem in Episode 1 was cool, she acted like I would imagine my Clem would act. But there is another side to it - for some people "edgy" Clem is not really their Clem, so some players probably hated that part.

• Amazing voice acting.

• Great graphics. (Sure, a lot of people hated them but I truly liked them. I'd take those graphics over S2 any day.)

• Conrad actually having an impact in Episode 3, after sparing him in Episode 2.

• Javier Garcia.

• The gap between Episodes releasing was very short.

• Javier & Jesus jokingly flirting with each other.

• Kenny flashback in Episode 4. That was probably the highlight of the entire season.

• MrJavaMrJava Banned
    edited September 19

Just Javi and his fucking comedian potential, nothing else.

Also, I appreciated that they introduced Jesus and picking up the voice actor that voices Garrus on Mass Effect for him.

• I kinda liked Gabe. I know, I know, it's weird, but I never hated him, and he was the most realistic and consistent character of all of them. I also liked his death scene, it was the best death scene in the game.

Agreed. The fact that he has a death scene kinda pisses me off, but I can concur with or without the lack of competition.

Joan was good too, especially in Episode 3. They kinda ruined her a little bit in Episode 4, and she never came back if she lived, but oh well, it was good while it lasted.

Agreed. If only it actually was long enough to adequately say "it lasted."

Mawrak posted: »

* I kinda liked Gabe. I know, I know, it's weird, but I never hated him, and he was the most realistic and consistent character of

• being able to give AJ a middle name
    • the later flashbacks of David
    • Kate knowing what a busket is
    • the voice acting of all the major Garcias (minus Mari)
    • the Ava vs Tripp scene
    • Ava's character design
    • Mari's character design
    • Tripp's build >u>
    • Conrad's determinant status, mostly (it's more akin to Chet and that prince from TWAU)
    • that they bothered to fix Jane's model (but I didn't see anything different on Kenny's)
    • Mari's characterization
    • that Javi is bi, nice, and a survivor
    • Gabe's death scene - not because he died, but because of how it was delivered
    • Clem in the teaser
    • Javi in the teaser
    • [not allowed to be mentioned on these forums]
    • "They're all fucking walkers, okay?"
    • when Gabe brought up us killing Conrad (even though he's the one who asked for it)
    • someone older than Clem who is now her friend surviving the season
    • something else but I forgot what
  • being able to give AJ a middle name

The only mildly interesting thing about Jane's flashback.

Kate knowing what a busket is

It was indeed a nice touch, even if the developers admitted it's mainly a term/portmanteau they came up with.

the Ava vs Tripp scene

Should've determinately been Ava vs Conrad, but whatever. I was indeed a delight.

Ava's character design

Same! :blush:

Mari's character design

It has a nice bit of minute detail, yes.

Tripp's build >u>

It's purely cosmetic, I assure you. :lol:

Conrad's determinant status, mostly (it's more akin to Chet and that prince from TWAU)

Agreed.

that they bothered to fix Jane's model (but I didn't see anything different on Kenny's)

Meh.

Mari's characterization

What characterization? :lol:

I'm joking. Mostly.

Gabe's death scene - not because he died, but because of how it was delivered

I would've much preferred it not be a thing, but granted.

Javi in the teaser

It looked somewhat interesting, yes.

[not allowed to be mentioned on these forums]

Curiosity! PM

when Gabe brought up us killing Conrad (even though he's the one who asked for it)

It could've been a lot better if the gameplay integration didn't absolutely suck.

someone older than Clem who is now her friend surviving the season

...Javier, I assume?

something else but I forgot what

Lol.

* being able to give AJ a middle name * the later flashbacks of David * Kate knowing what a busket is * the voice acting of all

• -Smoother graphics

-Excluding From the Gallows, the story got better and better with each episode.

-Javier

-Conrad

-Clementine's flashbacks (Excluding Ties That Bind)

-Episode 4.

-The action, despite there being too much of it, was still well-done

-Less character deaths are done purely for shock value.

• -Excluding From the Gallows, the story got better and better with each episode.

Eh....

-Episode 4.

...Eh, agreed. Some things could've been added, kept, done better, or left out altogether, but I do like the episode in spite of its missteps.

ralo229 posted: »

-Smoother graphics -Excluding From the Gallows, the story got better and better with each episode. -Javier -Conrad -Cl

• What determines if Clem follows you is if she injects AJ or not, if she spits in David's face or says goodbye. I'm not sure I have everything right, Google it there is a very detailed post somewhere.

* choices mattering a little bit more * The way the endings are achieved. Instead of a binary "Press X or Press B" choice, the e

• Javi was a funny person(imo)
    • Choices seemed to matter a little more.
    • The graphics were a little better
    • Ava
    • The character design was better
    • How Conrad was handled
    • Conrad's detrimental life
    • The opening was intense
    • Some of the flashbacks specifically the Javi and Kate go looking for propane....and the Domino game with David and Javi's father. Both of those sorta prove that the game should have been about the Garcia's and not mix them in with the Clem's story. They had a lot of heart.
  • One thing I REALLY liked about the final episode in particular is that scene where they had Clem show Gabe how to do the Kneebreaker move. While I can say at this point that I dont necessarily agree with the way in which the shipping was executed, I loved this part because Im pretty sure that I or one of my friends suggested this in the forums at one point. So when I actually SAW this in the episode, I freaking lost it and started clapping. And people say Telltale doesn't listen to the fans?

• I know. It's just so random! Like, why does injecting AJ or spiting on David make her make different choices? It's not like those choices change your personality too much or something.

What determines if Clem follows you is if she injects AJ or not, if she spits in David's face or says goodbye. I'm not sure I have everything right, Google it there is a very detailed post somewhere.

• Clementine showing Gabe he knee trick.
    • Kenny in episode 4 flashback also the mention of Sarita, Katjaa and Duck.
    • Jane in episode 4 flashback also seeing Carver’s corpse. Also if you watched Kenny kill Carver or not, Jane will also mention this.
    • Edith in episode 1 flashback.
    • Clementine holding David at gunpoint or shot him in the shoulder, depends if you shot Kenny or not in Season 2 episode 5.
    • Who Clementine decides to go with in the end decision, depends on your choices.
    • Episode 1, introduction flashback.
    • ANF graphics.
  • The funny thing about that is one of the things I didn't want to see was the idea of Clementine explicitly teaching any of the Garcias how to "survive" for obvious reasons.

The only reasons I didn't mind her showing Gabe the knee trick that one time was because he had already been in a number of fights, it was simply an easier way for him to deal with walkers at the moment, and it was just a quick little interaction that the game doesn't make that big a deal out of.

• I think its because its supposed to be that the choices we made as Clementine is supposed to show what kinda person she has become, however that doesnt really work when Telltale interprets what those choices mean for Clementine, since different people does things for different reasons, if I recall, taking Avas offer in episode 1 about seeing the New Frontier or not is also one of the choices that decides whether or not Clementine goes with Javier or not, and I guess the idea is that if she doesnt go meet the New Frontier, she works better alone? or doesnt want to be with other people? except thats only one possible interpretation of that choice, it could also be because she doesnt trust Ava, doesnt trust the group, isnt ready to make that kind of decision? its one of those things where you realize that putting the previous protagonist in a side role again is a problem, since Telltale gets to interpret what all your choices meant

I know. It's just so random! Like, why does injecting AJ or spiting on David make her make different choices? It's not like those choices change your personality too much or something.

• 1: Tripp
    2: Tripp
    3: Tripps beard
    4: tripps hair
    5: tripps muscles
    Basically anf made me go gay

• enter image description here
    Oh my

1: Tripp 2: Tripp 3: Tripps beard 4: tripps hair 5: tripps muscles Basically anf made me go gay

• -Less character deaths are done purely for shock value.

"Mariana will remember that"

ralo229 posted: »

-Smoother graphics -Excluding From the Gallows, the story got better and better with each episode. -Javier -Conrad -Cl

Sign in to comment in this discussion.