User Avatar Image

Interesting find about MI mermaids...

posted by hplikelike on - last edited - Viewed by 454 users
According to World of Monkey Island, "These pictures are used with permission from Bill Tiller and LucasArts.
The first image was supposed to be in the opening credits, but was scraped because the project leaders found out a mermaid wasn't suitable for the Monkey Island world"

http://www.worldofmi.com/thegames/monkey3/index.php#Bill%20Tiller%20art

I still like the Mer-folks, but I know a lot of people here don't, and I thought this would make an interesting discussion.

(But Telltale, don't listen to Mer-folk haters.).
27 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I like the TMI merpeople more than the boring classic ones.

You know what I'm curious about? All those statues in Spinner Cay.
    What are those? Merpeople? Some kind of sea lions? Manatees? They look like nothing we've seen in the game so far.
  • I wouldn't say "found out" would be the right word.

And anyway, I don't think the project lead for Curse really had the absolute best grasp on what was right for Monkey Island. They didn't have that bad of one, mind you, but I'm already a bit more fond of Tales atmosphere-wise, hand-painted backdrops aside.
  • The Merpeople do seem a little out of place.... seems like something from Sam & Max more than MI. But I'm not going to let it drag me down..
  • As mentioned in some other thread: there is a Merfolk picture in MI2:
    ...I never thought merpeople would be out of place in MI universe...
  • that's more in a "Here be dragons" style, when you have uncharted, unknown or distant territory

"Here be dragons" is a phrase used to denote dangerous or unexplored territories, in imitation of the medieval practice of putting sea serpents and other mythological creatures in blank areas of maps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_be_dragons

as for merfolks, and whether they fit or no, who am i to judge... if Mr. Grossman thought they would fit then i can not argue with that, although we can have our opinions on how they are actually presented in-game and whether they could go with a different approach

the concept art of their place is great and much more believable

the actual approach and appearance could be better maybe with a slightly different background story to them, with an added feel of them as a group. you also have cannibals which are actually three or four characters but you think of them really as a tribe... i think i'd be more satisfied with something more in a line of a classic "The Little Mermaid" style
  • Yeah they creep me out
  • In Monkey Island 3 one of the brochures says: Mermaids or manatees, whats the difference?
  • I have no problem with mer-folk in Monkey Island. It's not much of a leap when we've already got ghost pirates, a talking monkey...

...and a GIANT MONKEY ROBOT. Though I'm sure that last one didn't fit much.
  • Irishmile;189734 said:
    The Merpeople do seem a little out of place.... seems like something from Sam & Max more than MI. But I'm not going to let it drag me down..
    Pretty much my feeling.
  • Jerec84;189782 said:
    I have no problem with mer-folk in Monkey Island. It's not much of a leap when we've already got ghost pirates, a talking monkey...

...and a GIANT MONKEY ROBOT. Though I'm sure that last one didn't fit much.
    It seems people, including the game, are mostly not counting anything in EMI, because it was terrible.
Add Comment