Choices vs. the DC Continuity Alignment
Being a fan of Telltale's approach of storytelling and being a fan of the comics. I enjoy the unique take they bring to characters, who have been standardized in main stream media. But there is an unfortunate problem with the new season that I can not shake off; the inevitable realignment of their comic book characters over the Telltale character they have created, making most of my choices mute.
While Telltale are known for some instances of choices not mattering or fake choices they got around that changing the Universe Batman was in. In the first season;
- The Wayne Criminal Empire was a different take on the Wayne Family Legacy.
- Batman not being Batman for years, and is basically 'greenhorn'.
- Playing as either Bruce or Batman.
- There doesn't appear to be heroes just Batman.
- Cobblepot not being the 'fat' man and was poor.
- Vicki Vale's past and villain.
- John not being the Joker.
But then during the season the Batman universe started to resync and factors you believed might not happen or could be changed aligned back to what we know;
- Copplepot was always going to be a villain.
- Catwoman and Batman were always gonna hook up.
- Harvey was gonna become Two Face with or without the visual side.
With the latest Season, I'm having the same double-thought process but it's not because the choices are hard, its just making me worry that in the end choices won't matter due to the characters moving back to their 'continuity alignment'.
- Waller no matter how helpful you are to her, will always be smarter and destructive then you and you will always be under her thumb until Batman pulls a fast and heavy one on her.
- Gordon no matter the betrayal will always trust Batman to some degree.
- Alfred will always be by Bruce's side.
- John will turn into the Joker.
- Harley will be Joker's Queen of Crime no matter how smart or mischievous she is.
- Mr Freeze will always look out for Nora as a number one priority.
- Bane breaks people.
But a question for you all, if you are a fan of both genres (DC and Telltale) do you find yourself stuck in two minds while playing the latest season? Like you want you choices to matter but feel like it won't?