User Avatar Image

Pirates of the Caribbean Sequel Title Announced...

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 2.9K users

Source -
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Official-Title-Pirates-Of-The-Caribbean-4-On-Stranger-Tides-14739.html
At the D23 Expo in Los Angeles this weekend, Disney is regaling journalists and fans with scoops about their upcoming projects as well as looks at memorabila from the old ones. They've also used the opportunity to announce the official title for one of the most anticipated movies they have coming out, the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean film.

So the fourth film, going into production soon, will be called Pirates of the Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides.
Let the comparisons begin....
142 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I guess we could all benefit from a resurgence of pirate-love.
  • Seeing how Die Hard 2 was based on a book completely unrelated to the one Die Hard was adapted from, and Die Hard 3 and 4 both started life as original screenplays with no relation to the Die Hard franchise, I could very much see the title of Pirates 4 being more than just a coincidence.
  • I just looked on mixnmojo.com, and it looks like potc are ripping things off again. the 4th movie is being called on Stranger tides, sound familiar? the book that inspired the monkey island games? I have some weird feeling that its gonna rip off our beloved game series. So, tell me what you think.
  • Please no!

EDIT: Let me rephrase that: For the love of all things good and holy NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • The reference loop this creates made my head explode.
  • Wasn't that the book that Monkey Island was based off of? My goodness they're really going all out to rip off Monkey Island any way they can, aren't they?
  • I just read a very interesting tidbit on the MixNMojo Forums. By the way, I find the series of movies very enjoyable and believe that Monkey Island fans should just DEAL WITH IT.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2671844&postcount=4
    A fellow by the name of IndyTim on the Tim Powers group message board, where Tim visits mentioned the following:
    --------
    "I had the good fortune to meet and chat with Mr Powers earlier this
    year at a sci-fi convention in England, and he told me then that Disney had
    contacted him about optioning the rights to his book for the next Pirates of the
    Caribbean movie (as they should seeing as they stole most of his ideas for the
    first movie!).

He told me that he had informed Disney he had two conditions before signing his
    book over ... 1) that his wife and he would have dinner with Johnny Depp as part
    of the deal and 2) that Tim and his wife got to appear in the movie as extras!
    Ready for your close-up, Mr Powers?"

--------
    Why my student film "On Stranger Tides" was released on that message board, and here on Mojo news, his lawyer was quick to put the kabash on it, stating that "They were in talks with Big Movie Makers and that I need to remove the video at once!". ~pseudo-quote

So, when POTC3 ended with Depp on his way for the Fountain of Youth, I figured they already had it in mind to buy Tim's story and incorporate it. I'm just happy to see it happen.
  • By the way, I find the series of movies very enjoyable and believe that Monkey Island fans should just DEAL WITH IT.
    I only watched the first one. But I guess I'll agree with you.
Add Comment