There's a new Sheriff in FableTown...and his name is **DABIGRG!**
[Witty Fairytale Greeting], ya'll---DabigRG here!
Bought this game a month or two ago at Gamestop and new Xbox One powerbrick came early on last Wednesday, so I was finally able to play TWAU Season 1 Episode 1 this morning!
Here are my thoughts and notes throughout actually playing it:
Episode 1: Faith
- What is up with this title screen music? Its more musical than the walking dead,
- There are Fables living in Fabletown, New York. They used a spell called Glamour to blend in.
- Bigby seemingly voiced by Adam Harrington(Andy St John).
- Characterization: Is strict & a little gruff, but reasonable. Just doing job and enforcing the law for everyone's sake. Focuses on keeping things in order and getting to the bottom asap. Keeping the fables secret is main priority, but occasionally betrays charity for the little guy...or toad. Caring and protective of Snow in particular. Can employ tact and guile in potentially hostile situations. Tries not to provoke unnecessarily, but will demand answers at first or next opportunity.
- Mr. Toad. Schlubby Cockney superintendent. Has harder time affording increasingly shoddy yet expensive Glamour for family. Threatened with living on farm.
- Sternly stressed Glamour law, but sympathetically pointed out that just doing job.
- The dialogue prompts sometimes go pretty fast
- Fables can take a lot of punishment. Like, a lot.
- Woody. The Woodsman. Drunk with hairtrigger temper. Somewhat egotistical about being a hero.
- Not sure how to feel about Toad yet. Or Woody, for that matter.
- Prostitute/WorkingGirl. May be Fable as well, considering. Pointed out necktie for some reason. Came for $100 for pimp/boss.
- Gave own $51 to help her out.
- 15+ minutes in and we're just seeing this.
- Bigby clearly has Lee's walk in freewalks
- "Smallest apartment"
- Beauty was hiding behind tree, for some reason. Hiding from Beast. Is either Nikki Rapp or Melissa Hutchinson--can't really tell.
- Said I'm staying out of it
Apartment Front Desk
- Tried repeatedly to wait guard/receptionist. No sheep.
- Tenant listing:
- B Blue. J Hornet K Cole B Beard
- G Rimble F Catcher
- Sheriff didn't get permanent listing
- Beast caught Bigby in elevator. Looking for Beauty. Convinced something bad may be going on.
- Lied about seeing Beauty.
- P Pennsylvania case file along with B Blue. Bigby doesn't trust Blue
- Doesn't keep much in refrigerator. No ice(put water in the thing, idiot). Can't remember ordering Chinese.
- Why the fuck is there a Pig in his apartment?
- Name's Colin. Smokes. One of the three little pigs, apparently. Quotation marks on "little." Lives on Farm Bigby can threaten Toad about. Moocher with slight victim complex. A bit of an asshole with hurt feelings, but kinda funny and realistic too.
- Said it's better to be feared than loved, said can't change the past--Colin says you also can't change memories,
- Let Colin have drink
Very early next morning
- Working girl was beheaded and left on Apartment door. Snow found it. Deliberately placed. Supposedly killed by magical item
- Necktie with ring was placed in mouth
- Ichabod Crane is Acting/Deputy Mayor in King Cole's stead. Snooty Alcoholic and Unappeaseable Asshole, Gets massages habitually under stress, didn't provoke him as superior.
- Buffkin, Flying monkey/gargoyle, Alcoholic, Librarian and record keeper.
- Tipbits from book:
- Woodsman's axe was enchanted by Druids.
- Mr. Toad apparently comes from some fancy family/clan original. If he didn't doctor the book, anyway.
- Faith Donkeyskin. Cloak to hide beauty from father, who wanted to marry(?) someone of equal beauty to wife. Married to Prince Lawrence. Turned Prostitute to make ends meet.
- Red "didn't make it out"
- Seven Dwarves look creepy. Bigby would rather forget them? No comment from Snow at all.
- Toad had a friend Badger. Likes privacy.
- Beauty and Beast during "happier" days. Beauty holding mask of Beast's head, for some reason.
- Wonder if Mirror could show what was happening with Toad's office if asked
Leaving to Next Investigation
- Went to Toads apartment. Probably should've gone to the Prince, but wanted to check the kid and see who was searching the place.
- Toad Jr. Super tiny. Scared of Tweedle. Has bug collection. Possible crush on Snow. Voiced (kinda badly) by Melissa Hutchinson.
- Search place thoroughly. Tried to be a little tactful at first, but patience wore thin by window search. Considered searching TJ's room.
- Started to intimated Toad several times, but held off on actually attacking. Final time had Grab option--just what I was wanting.
- Honestly thought Dee/Dum was hiding somewhere in Toad's own room, but he apparently left through window...somehow.
- Prince Lawrence. Supposedly killed himself. Must be fable as well, as he was actually still alive. Did something to or maybe even blames Faith.
- Asked who did this to him. Should've asked what happened.
- Toad's Apartment was mostly waste of time, albeit concerned one. Should've came here first.
- Dee(and Dum). Hiding in Lawrence's closet and ran like hell. Not very good Fable. Working for someone, possibly pimp? Owe Dum asswhooping.
- Tried to tell Snow appreciation of help.
- Told Snow to leave the system if it'll get things done. It's about what's best for her, not Bigby.
[Seedier Side of Fabletown] Bar
- "I never turn to drink, it seemed to turn to me" ~Benjamin Franklin
- Dart Board names: GR, H, and WD
- Holly the barhostess, sister went missing, Devil monster thing.
- Initially danced around with affable small talk before eventually getting to the point. Asked for line(?).
- Sat next to man from Town Hall. Said stool was only spot next to him..
- 'We reserve the right to refuse service' Wonderful timing
- ''I am the Eggman Diner'
- 'Restrooms are for regular customer and employees only--Tough Shit'
- Woodsman was there to rob Red that day. Became hero because Big by was there wrong place wrong time. Only got free drinks out of it instead of cash reward.
- Gren. Man at Town Hall earlier. Friend of the Woodsman. Seemingly one-eyed with clear fake. Hates the Woodlanders for ignoring poorer Fable troubles. Blank eye had faint cornea before transforming. Fish monster likely from Beowulf.
- Didn't rip arm off. Kinda have to wonder why Holly transformed too if she wasn't gonna do much of anything, especially since Glamour is apparently expensive.
- 'Free beer tomorrow' Once again, great timing.
- Dee/Dum came in. Offered a hundred bucks for information on something. Tries to run opposite of Woody.
- Went after Dee/Dum's fatass, let Woody escape.
- Crime scene in Woodlands. Left Dee/Dum on streetlight(can't he just break that?). Must have been another murder.
- Why were those cops seemingly trying to stop Sheriff Bigby from entering the crime scene?
- Audibly said son of a bitch.
Next Time Segment
- Wow, just flew right into that without saying so, didn't we?
- Titty in the background
- "It's a serial killer" No shit.
- Holly be like "I'm acting"
- Crane did something
- Named Pimp as suspect at some point.
- Who the hell is bald guy at the last choice?
- Pierre Shorette wrote
- Erin Yvetee? Kid Beyond(Andrew Chaikin)? Brian Sommer? What is this, a TWDG Season 2 reunion?
- Mr. Harrington plays both Bigby and Woody. ...Interesting choice.
- Gavin Hammond plays lots of extras.
- Chuck unpronounceable as Colin and Buffkin
Overall, this was a good start to a good game that really gets you into the way the world works and had quite a bit of charm at points.
Ironically, the only real complaint I have fresh off the first episode is that it goes on for just so long enough that I felt a little drained around the bar sequence and had to step out for air, sunlight, and a takeout plate.
Oh and there were a few moments/areas where freewalk was a tad unnecessary/limited.