User Avatar Image

Crashes for first episode

posted by dioni on - last edited - Viewed by 900 users
I tried to download the first Monkey Island episode because it's pirate day and it's free for a day.

I think the message was 'monkeyislandexec101 has stopped working'

It happened at startup and I tried to reboot my computer. It worked.
Then it happened again in the middle of the game (after I got to the island).

Crashes make me give up on a game. It's a shame because I was just about to get into it and there's possibility of me buying the next episodes, but I wouldn't buy it if the game crashes all the time :mad:. It's the most tiring thing cos you have to start all over again from the last save. Well, lucky I could try the game out first on my machine.

I use Windows Vista.
40 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    Let me try to help you. The first thing we should check is if the episode downloaded correctly.

MD5 Check
    Please download and install Hashcheck.
    Then Download this MD5 File into the folder that contains the ToMI installers you downloaded from Telltale.

Finally just double click on the .md5 file for verification and tell us the results.
  • Having same issue...crashing on startup....tried clicking your link but got this message:

"Error

This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information."
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    kathy11515;199419 said:
    tried clicking your link but got this message
    Sorry, please try again. I Exchanged the link in the posting above.
    I now officially don't like rapidshare and it's 10 downloads limit.
  • Same issue here - game crashes on startup.
    I checked the integrity of the setup - the MD5 is a match.

Windows 7 Pro 32-bit
    GeForce 9800GT latest drivers
    Core i7 920
    2GB RAM
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    kathy11515;199419 said:
    Having same issue...crashing on startup....tried clicking your link but got this message:
    sushovande;199448 said:
    Same issue here - game crashes on startup.
    Is your display color depth set to 32 bit?
  • I tried running in XP compat mode - that seemed to help...
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    sushovande;199463 said:
    I tried running in XP compat mode - that seemed to help...
    That should not be necessary. I could take a look a t your DxDiag to see if there's something odd.

Please start dxdiag:
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then e.g. zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • DjNDB;199468 said:
    That should not be necessary.
    It works even without Xp compat mode :( Must have been an intermittent problem. Anyway - my dxdiag is here, but once again - it seems like I can run the game now.
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    sushovande;199476 said:
    It works even without Xp compat mode :( Must have been an intermittent problem. Anyway - my dxdiag is here, but once again - it seems like I can run the game now.
    I don't see anything wrong in your dxdiag.
    Let's hope it doesn't come back.
  • DjNDB;199480 said:
    Let's hope it doesn't come back.
    Yup! Thanks for looking, though.
This discussion has been closed.