User Avatar Image

Wii version much more expensive than PC version?

posted by supermaz on - last edited - Viewed by 821 users
Hi Telltalegames team,

I just finished the first chapter on the Wii and I must say that this a really nice game. The riddles aren't to hard so no frustation during the play (also it could've been a little longer...).

But something really sets me up. I just saw that the PC version can be bought for 35 $ for the complete 5 episodes.

I bought the first episode as Wiiware for 10 € (which are about 15 $ atm). So, buying all 5 episodes on the Wii will cost me 50 € which are about 75 $ !!!

So buying the Wii edition will cost me more than twice as much as the PC version would.

I sadly must say that I have no understanding for this difference! There must be a different solution and then I would be happy to buy the other 4 episodes for the Wii (as playing living room is nice)!
29 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm surprised at some of the comments above that PCs need to be constantly upgraded. That's not true at all. To put things into perspective the PS3 uses a modified 7800GTX that was out on the PC four years ago and any machine with that card would be fine running most games today. Only those who want to keep their computer at the cutting edge and running games with 16xAA and AF on their 30" monitors will spend lots of money but that's the great thing about PCs, you can spend as much or as little as you want. You don't have to spend a lot on a new computer to play games that look better than the current 'next gen' consoles.

And their's the game prices, most new games cost £15 more on the PS3 or XBox360 than the PC. If you're a gamer who buys at least three games a year and has their computer unchanged for three years you've already saved £225.

And then their's the fact that PCs do a LOT more than gaming (they do everything).
  • The reason for example the PS 3 can use a 4 year old card and still get better graphics (yes better graphics) then the computer counterparts today is because 1) as you said it's a modified version, this allows it to be specialized to the circumstances in the console. and 2) You don't have any over head when coding for consoles, it is allowed and even recommended to code directly to the hardware, the OS is just a launcher pretty much it does not do all the things for example Windows does in order to keep afloat and therefor it doesn't really matter what hardware you have in the console you will still be able to get more out of it then the computer counter part.

But but but but, you can code directly to the hardware on Windows XP too! Well windows XP is an OLD OS, coding directly to the hardware in Windows XP is doable but very far from being recommendable, it causes a lot of problems. One of the main reasons for example Vista, Windows 7 or Mac OS X are considered to be slower then Windows XP is that the programmer is put further away from the hardware and hence can't mess up your computer configuration. This is a good thing btw.

Having a computer with the same hardware with the same typo of arch and the same type of OS the consoles use you can get the same performance out of it, but you won't be able to do much else with it, and the games developed would only be able to run on that specific hardware.

As for computer hardware being cheaper, at least in Sweden buying only the Geforce 7800GTX card will cost you more then the entire PS 3 console.

Upon doing some google, it turns out to be the same way in the UK, at least if you want a card a 7800 GTX card which corresponds to the one in the PS 3. Cheapest I found was 410£
  • JohanShogun;207139 said:
    Upon doing some google, it turns out to be the same way in the UK, at least if you want a card a 7800 GTX card which corresponds to the one in the PS 3. Cheapest I found was 410£
    That seems ridiculously overpriced to me. Maybe it's because they are obsolete and not being sold widely any more? I checked some shopping sites and you can get a much more powerful GeForce 9 series card for under £100. Compared to a PlayStation 3 for about £250-300. Even the latest ATI Radeon and GeForce 280GTX cards are under £300.

ehhhh, With that statement I have to assume that you are either a retard or a PS3 owner with a hidden agenda (Not that it's difficult to figure out that agenda).

Btw. For you people who's considering to buy a pc/laptop to game on, you just make sure to get one with a graphics card from nvidia or Ati and make sure that the model number includes either a 6, 7 or an 8 not anything lower.

Example:

Nvidia cards: 8600, 8800, 9600, 9800, 260, 280.

Ati cards: 4600, 4800, 5800.

And aprox. 2 Gigs of ram and you are pretty much golden, unless you have to run a game like Crysis on the highest possible settings.
    Oh and btw. no current console is able to run a game like Crysis so if you pc can run this on medium settings you should be allright.
  • maul_inc;207555 said:
    ehhhh, With that statement I have to assume that you are either a retard or a PS3 owner with a hidden agenda (Not that it's difficult to figure out that agenda).
    I can assure you I'm neither of those (I would never buy anything from sony). :)

I want to point out that I said was to get the same card on your computer as the PS 3 has you need to pay that much, I did not mention other cards or anything like that. Let's leave discussions like these for people able to read and comprehend next time? Then we can avoid embarrassing posts like that one in the future :) Just a tip :)

On Crisis, Crisis could be run on consoles but will not be ported, crisis 2 is due for both PC, Eggbox 360 and Piestation 3 :)
  • JohanShogun;207560 said:
    I can assure you I'm neither of those (I would never buy anything from sony). :)

I want to point out that I said was to get the same card on your computer as the PS 3 has you need to pay that much, I did not mention other cards or anything like that. Let's leave discussions like these for people able to read and comprehend next time? Then we can avoid embarrassing posts like that one in the future :) Just a tip :)

On Crisis, Crisis could be run on consoles but will not be ported, crisis 2 is due for both PC, Eggbox 360 and Piestation 3 :)
    Fair enough, and yes, Crysis 2 is coming to consoles BUT believe me, it won't be like Crysis 1, forget the very large maps with high details, there is just not enough ram on consoles and because they have to stream the data from a disc as opposed to a harddrive on the pc, the console version will be limited compared to Crysis 1. I guess that Crysis 2 can be just as beautiful and open world on the pc as Crysis 1, but that will not happen as it will probably be developed primarily for consoles so the pc version will suffer.
  • There is a way to be a really cheap and legal PC gamer. Waaaay cheaper then you ever could with a console.

You needs a PC (Macs count as PC's) regardless of your gaming habit. You have to buy some cheap PC once in a while anyway.
    Now go for the bargain bin. All the blockbusters of some years ago can be found for 5 to 20 euro or so. Your cheapo PC will generally be more powerful then the expensive stuff at the game's release date so there is no problem with performance.
    Yes, you will be lagging behind but if your budget is tight this is the best deal you can go for.

That card is no longer in production, as it's massively outdated.

However, you could get a much more powerful card, the Nvidia 9800GT, which is two generations newer, for £75.

My own PC I bought in 2002, upgraded once for about £100 (new graphics card and more memory), and I'm only just now planning to replace it.

It's lasted right through a significant part of both the Playstation 2 and the Playstation 3 lifecycles, and I can still play less demanding newer games on it (as well as watch DVDs, online TV, use Office, play music, play all my older games dating back to about 1993, etc).

I can understand the argument that if you spend all day at the office you don't want to mess around with a PC when you get home, but mostly for me the 'messing around' consists of double-clicking the game icon I want and then starting to play. It's not like I have to install the game again every time I start up my PC.

Really, if I only wanted to play games, then I'd probably get a console. But since I'd be buying a £300 PC anyway, for work, Internet, etc, I might as well spend another £300 and get a HD-capable game machine built in, that I can then upgrade three or four years on for another £100.
  • Consoles are a cheaper solution, and offer better quality. A 5 year cycle is not typical for them; the Master System lived from 1985 - 1996, Mega Drive/Genesis lived from 1989 to 1997, SNES from 1990 to 1998, PlayStation from 1995 till 2006, PlayStation 2 was launched in 2000 and is still supported.
    You cannot judge the life cycle of a console by when you yourself switch to a new system; many consoles live well into the lifespan of their successors.

Add to that the broader variety of games and gameplay concepts, with the PC having gotten pretty stuck on the same 1st person shooters and RTS over the years.

And because the programmers have a definite hardware to tweak the game for, you get better quality than on a PC with similar specs. Even years after the Xbox 360´s launch you can get the same games as on PC with maximum settings to play flawless on the system; you can´t do that on a PC of the same age.

The problem of console games costing more than PC-games comes from licensing fees; consoles are not free platforms since the days of the Atari 2600. Every publisher has to pay royaltis to the system manufacturer; and pass the quality control of Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo, while their is no such thing for PCs.

But I honestly prefer to pay a few Euros more on games than having to tune my PC and fiddle with compatibility problems, download new drivers and adjust settings to play in the best possible quality.
  • think of it as paying a premium to have the ability to play while sitting on your couch.... worse graphics though.
Add Comment