User Avatar Image

ToMI Chapter 1 : crash

posted by edadks on - last edited - Viewed by 840 users
Hi,

I just purchased, downloaded and installed Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1. Installation seems to have gone ok but when I double click the desktop icon to run the program, I get a crash notice : "Telltale Games has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I have an up to date machine running the latest patches of Windows XP Pro so not sure why I'm having a problem.

Any ideas on what to look for?

thanks,

Ed
19 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Hey Ed, do you know if your Internet Explorer is up to date as well? Could you try updating it just to be sure? The wrapper (which is what is loading at the point where you are crashing) is heavily reliant on IE specifically.
  • Will;209565 said:
    Hey Ed, do you know if your Internet Explorer is up to date as well? Could you try updating it just to be sure? The wrapper (which is what is loading at the point where you are crashing) is heavily reliant on IE specifically.
    That is not up to date. I don't use IE for anything and have avoided allowing v8 to install. I still have ie6 on the machine.

I'll set a restore point and then install ie8 to see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Ed
  • I just updated to IE8. That did not make any difference, I still get the same crash in the same place.

thanks,

Ed
  • Hmmm, ok, could you try downloading this hash checking program? Then right click on your installer, go to properties and check the md5 checksum for the installer and post it here. That way we know if the file itself is corrupt.
  • Will;209587 said:
    Hmmm, ok, could you try downloading this hash checking program? Then right click on your installer, go to properties and check the md5 checksum for the installer and post it here. That way we know if the file itself is corrupt.
    I'm a little unclear as to which program you refer to when you say installer.

I've just checked the md5 for the main executable in Program Files/Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1, here is the result:

f3d53a81b3d49358a4bba83a8ed07761 *MonkeyIsland101.exe

If I was supposed to check a different program, then please let me know.

thanks again,

Ed
  • In case you meant this file, here is another md5:

929bc7f96d471febfc54997e1194a0b2 *TalesofMonkeyIslandChapter1Setup.exe
  • yeah, it was the setup I was looking for, but I appear to have a different version than you. Out of curiosity, which site did you download the game from?
  • Will;209607 said:
    yeah, it was the setup I was looking for, but I appear to have a different version than you. Out of curiosity, which site did you download the game from?
    I purchased and downloaded the game from Amazon.
  • Ooooh, ok that changes some things. I'll need to see if I can track down an installer from them. Unfortunately the person I would usually bug about this is out of office today.
  • In the meantime, could you get me some of your system specs? Go to your Start menu and click on Run.
    Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.
    Then go to the Display tab
    While here, the useful things for us:
    Name:
    Current Display Mode:
    Main Driver:
    Version:
    Date:
This discussion has been closed.