User Avatar Image

the ending is confusing me

posted by HamsterofDeath on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users
i understand guybrush conveniently ending up on the narwhal and elaine expecting that.
she was just waiting at the crossroads-spot at the real world and expecting guybrush to come through the rip again. she had no idea that guybrush might have problems reopening it.

but why was he dezombified and got his hand back?
62 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Earlier in the chapter, Guybrush attempted to resurrect himself using the same Voodoo spell that Le Chuck used. By using the ring at the very end, Guybrush completed the ceremony in a more 'significant' manner. The power of love, essentially.

That is the commonly accepted interpretation. I still think it's convoluted but a lot of people disagree with me.
  • One-Eyed Kijin;243240 said:
    ...Guybrush completed the ceremony in a more 'significant' manner. The power of love, essentially.

That is the commonly accepted interpretation. I still think it's convoluted ...
    Yea.. just a bit.
  • The voodoo lady said that a more complete form of resurrection was possible - but not through voodoo. Guybrush would have to use a different power, that even she did not understand. Higher power = love.

Simple, poignant, and ties things up nicely for continued adventures with a completely alive Guybrush for ToMI Season 2!
  • Yeah it was kinda obvious guys, he takes the time to quote the recipes before putting the ring in place...

He was resurrected.

Voodoo power only allows the spirit to go inside the living's world, while the "non voodoo" way (through true love) gives the user a full resurrection. Actually it could probably work without Guybrush's body, his spirit was materialized. Thus destroying the dead body (zombie).
  • Look, it's a very simple "The power of love is greater than the power of magic" solution. It's really, really simple and explaining it is somewhat difficult because it's something that you just "get", and I have a really hard time thinking of people that think it's complicated as anything other than really, really dense. I try, though.

The first time he performed the spell, he used Voodoo ingredients. The second time, he used the same ingredients as symbolized by the wedding ring. He replaced Voodoo with love, which was more powerful. The Voodoo Lady outright says that he can return to his "true form" by utilizing a power greater than any Voodoo, though she doesn't know what/can't comment on what it is.

It's a really sappy solution, but executed so well that most people will feel it's organic, natural, and heartwarming. Others will try to tear it apart into mechanical workings and rules, which doesn't work, because that's not what was meant. And yet even then, it fits into the series "better ingredients=better spell" dynamic. And if you think "magic did it" is stupid storytelling, you are in the wrong series. Why does root beer kill ghosts? Why are there ghosts? Why can LeChuck come back from ghost death as a zombie? Many puzzles in tales make you assume that it will work because the paper you receive say "This Works Because Magic", and you accept this.
  • Steve2000;243249 said:
    The voodoo lady said that a more complete form of resurrection was possible - but not through voodoo. Guybrush would have to use a different power, that even she did not understand. Higher power = love.

Simple, poignant, and ties things up nicely for continued adventures with a completely alive Guybrush for ToMI Season 2!

That reminded me alot of harry potter. That's old magic.
  • Rather Dashing;243256 said:
    ...And if you think "magic did it" is stupid storytelling, you are in the wrong series. Why does root beer kill ghosts? Why are there ghosts? Why can LeChuck come back from ghost death as a zombie? Many puzzles in tales make you assume that it will work because the paper you receive say "This Works Because Magic", and you accept this.
    Not really. ToMI is not just a simple comedy - if that were the case, then the tone never would have changed as dramatically as it did. Guybrush went from not caring when his hand got chopped off in Chapter 2, to vowing to kill DeSinge for murdering Morgan in chapter 4. ToMI became a much more serious game, so I take the ending much more seriously. Secret always struck me as more of a comedy, same as the other games in the series, so I don't analyze them in any detail.

In any case it's clearly a matter of opinion - some like the ending, others don't.
  • HamsterofDeath;243232 said:

but why was he dezombified and got his hand back?
    You could also ask why is it that even though his hand is back, that there is jar of liquid LeChuck suspending his old poxed hand on the voodoo lady's desk... But thats a silly question to ask when we've already been given the ultimate explanation: The mysterious powers of Nor Tribleg triggered on the crossroads by Guybrush's love for Elaine was powerful enough to give him a new body and reunite them. No other questions need to be asked.:p

Yeah sure, it seems too simple considering every other aspect of the over arching manipulation/eternal fate plot was much, much, much more needlessly complex than this. But that's what makes it so darn good. This is the end of the game, you don't have to think any more, just let it all go and accept it for what it is. More questions to be answered in Season 2. After all, it is much much easier to write sequels when you leave an ending open rather than leave things concluded. Unless it's MI2, in which case Ron Gilbert is the only one capable of writing a sequel, after all he is the only person that knew what was going on with that ending. And leaving room for speculation makes for great discussion, just look at how the forum buzzes because of it.

Remember, gimmicks compliment good writing. Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go hide before I get attacked by a horde of raging three headed monkeys.
  • sharper;243385 said:
    You could also ask why is it that even though his hand is back, that there is jar of liquid LeChuck suspending his old poxed hand on the voodoo lady's desk....
    I think it was not Guybrush's hand in the jar, but rather LeChuck's belt buckle. The thief guy stole it from Guybrush, and Morgan must have stolen it from him.
  • I've said this somewhere else but while all the 'Love beats death/voodoo/magic' stuff applies, you don't necessarily need it to make the ring solution make sense. Think of it this way:

Remember in Monkey Island 2 where you build a voodoo doll of Largo, but the ingredients aren't quite optimal, so it works but only just?

Well, the first time you complete the voodoo spell, with the gold anchor, the dog, Morgan etc. you are using less than optimal ingredients because mostly they're just things you found lying around, rather than anything of any personal significance. So you get to return to the land of the living, but only as a ghost, and it causes other problems.

Think of the wedding ring as the ultimate ingredient to that spell, the one that not only embodies each of the four ingredients, metaphorically speaking, but does so in a very personal, emotionally significant way. That's why it worked so much better this time round, not only returning Guybrush straight to the living world, but completely to life as well.
Add Comment