User Avatar Image

How did Guybrush get his name?

posted by Nimeni on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users
Maybe some of you who have been fans of MI for a long time know the answer to this. But being a newcomer to the series (heard of it through TT) I was rather taken aback by the strangeness of his name. True, it grows on you, but my initial reaction was something like, "Seriously? How are you supposed to take a name like Guybrush Threepwood seriously?" And then I played the game and realized you're not!

But I'm still curious, does anyone know how they came up with it? I've never heard of anything at all like it.
46 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • From my understanding, Guybrush's sprite from the first game was named "guy.brush", and out of naming laziness, it stuck. Threepwood was Grossman's cousin's DnD character's last name, which he took from a series of novels that I currently don't remember the name to.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Stemmle says we can blame the origin of Ulysses on literary pretentiousness, an undying love for Star Trek, and his penchant for stupid acronyms.

I need to stop screencapping posts because it makes me feel like a creeper.
  • Giant Tope;257519 said:
    From my understanding, Guybrush's sprite from the first game was named "guy.brush"
    Wrong.

And for those who don't trust Wikipedia blindly, sauce.

Also, the way I heard the story it was Grossman's character, not his cousin's.
  • monkey_05_06;257535 said:
    Wrong.

Also, the way I heard the story it was Grossman's character, not his cousin's.
    Um, he's not wrong. Guybrush's sprite name was guy.brush.
  • monkey_05_06;257535 said:

Is that tomato, bbq, sweet chili?
  • READ THE LINKS. READ WHAT THEY POINT TO. READ ALL OF IT.

Then tell me I'm wrong. And I'll laugh at you.

Learn what you're talking about.

Noting of course that if you were to actually follow the links you would see that Dave corrected me for citing the same info...:p

@haydenpanettiere: Somebody doesn't ever been so far even as to actually know their memes.
  • monkey_05_06;257539 said:
    READ THE LINKS. READ WHAT THEY POINT TO. READ ALL OF IT.

Then tell me I'm wrong. And I'll laugh at you.

Learn what you're talking about.

Noting of course that if you were to actually follow the links you would see that Dave corrected me for citing the same info...:p

@haydenpanettiere: Somebody doesn't ever been so far even as to actually know their memes.
    Okay, I read the second link. You shouldn't have posted two links contradicting each other. lol
  • They don't contradict each other if you actually read them. They both say "guybrush.bbm".
  • Check the history, the page hasn't been edited since the 17th.
  • Secret Fawful;257551 said:
    You edited it.
    Hahaha I like where this is going, I honestly do.

Someone needs explaining where LeChuck and Elaine names come from?
Add Comment