User Avatar Image

Telltale needs to hire these guys.

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 579 users
Some guys remade a bunch of Blood Island backgrounds and characters in 3d, and their work is stunning. Now this is Monkey Island.

More artwork here.
29 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • At first I was all like :)

Then I was all like :D
  • And I'm like :confused:

And after some :rolleyes:

I am still :confused:
  • Stan is neither manny enough to be Manny, and Manny isn't stanly enough to be Stan. Not to mention being a height deficient Mexican.
  • nice!

Their environment designs are pretty great, and they match Tiller's layout & painting style. Whether that's a good or bad for Tiller, I don't know, but it's pretty cool none the less.
  • Cool for something not made professionally(or for a professional job), but I wouldn't want to play a Monkey island game that looked like that. That is, I'd probably play it, but I'd hardly be sold on the looks alone, nor would I say "this feels like Monkey Island". Then again, I'm in the minority of people that thinks Curse doesn't at all "feel like Monkey Island", so perhaps I'm just a contradictory, contemptuous git.
  • Rather Dashing;264952 said:
    Cool for something not made professionally(or for a professional job), but I wouldn't want to play a Monkey island game that looked like that. That is, I'd probably play it, but I'd hardly be sold on the looks alone, nor would I say "this feels like Monkey Island". Then again, I'm in the minority of people that thinks Curse doesn't at all "feel like Monkey Island", so perhaps I'm just a contradictory, contemptuous git.
    Well, as long as you're aware of it.
  • Man Blood Island still looks awesome in awkward 3D!
  • Rather Dashing;264952 said:
    Then again, I'm in the minority of people that thinks Curse doesn't at all "feel like Monkey Island", so perhaps I'm just a contradictory, contemptuous git.
    GuruGuru214;264953 said:
    Well, as long as you're aware of it.
    haha! indeed.
    I love Curse.

However good the background art is in this 3D rendering, the character models are bad. Stan, the Voodoo Lady, Elaine-turned-to-gold, and Goodsoup all look awful. Also when I look at Elaine's gold statue, the shadowing on her body makes her breasts stand out. Literally. Kudos to the background artist, but whoever did the characters needs to keep their day job.
  • Meh, CMI doesn't really need 3D. 3D never beats beautiful handcrafted 2D. That said, I barely notice any difference at all in the first posted shot.

Can't be bothered to see all pics in the link, but I would say I would prefer the old CMI style look.
Add Comment