User Avatar Image

Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse - control and interface discussion thread.

posted by [TTG] Yare on - last edited - Viewed by 11.1K users
You know the drill.

Any other control/UI threads that spring up will be merged into this one or deleted.

Lackey wrote: »
Can I just point and click to move around?

If you click on something, you will walk to it before using it. Clicking on the ground doesn't do anything.

I really miss just being able to click where I want to go. Why can't you include that in addition to all the other schemes?

There are threads discussing this all over the forum. What it comes down to is this: Making a game support point-and-click imposes strict requirements on level design and cinematography. We don't want to work within those requirements, so we dropped point-and-click.

JedExodus wrote: »
Has click and drag survived from ToMI guys?

Yes.

Gman5852 wrote: »
Just out of curiosity, are you allowed to use WASD controls like TOMI.

WASD, arrow keys, and numpad are all supported.

Avistew wrote: »
Do you click or do you select it with the keyboard? Or something else?

On the PC, you click to select things. Unless you're using a gamepad.

Pale Man wrote: »
Gamepad support on PC? :D:D:D

Yes. If you use a gamepad on the PC, it will control the same as it does on PS3.

Diduz wrote: »
Is the gamepad support on PC limited to the Xbox 360 controller or pretty much every win-compatible joypad is supported?

It should work with any gamepad. <-- PROBABLY WRONG: I think that the engine supports Xbox and Logitech controllers, everything else is questionable. Some forum users claim that a third-party program called "padmapper" will allow any joystick to work, but I have not tried it first hand.

Diduz wrote: »
May I control the game entirely through keyboard?

You must use the mouse to select things on the PC.

Hotspot highlighting!

Hotspot highlighting is no longer tied to your graphic quality setting. I believe it is limited to gamepad controls, however, as it is tied in with the way you select things in that mode. Pressing the equivalent of "right-trigger" will make hotspots show up.

Tjibbbe wrote: »
Yare, could you tell us how dialogue works this time around? Will we see something like this in de PC-version (looks spiffy!), or do we get more traditional dialogue lines?:

sm301_dialogue.jpg

This interface is the same for both controller and pointer, though the way you interact with it differs to suit the control method you are using.
335 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Jake wrote: »
    Cut content spoiler: We almost did it -- having unique icons next to the shortened text prompts -- but there wasn't consensus in the studio about it being a good idea, and they ended up getting cut a couple months ago. I miss the icons but I also like the cleanness of the dialog interface we finally landed on.

Sure, I can see where pairing icons with the prompts might have gotten a bit cluttered.

You guys took a bit of a gamble with such an extensive reworking of the UI, but I'd say it's turned out beautifully -- apart from the egregious error in the matter of the rubber duck icon's absence, that is.

I'm particularly impressed with the team's apparent obsession with polishing absolutely everything, no matter how small (some of the touches with environmental music in "max mode" come to mind.)

I will say she-who-reconciles-the-checking-account isn't too thrilled with you guys at the moment, but I've been needing to upgrade my home PC for a while now anyway. :D
  • Cycling through the objects is kind of an unwelcome hint for me. Part of the fun of adventure games is to find the hot spot by the mouse on screen. It has happened to me sometimes to miss an obvious object right in front of me. It's fun when you finally find it and see what you have been missing.

For me the adventure games don't work on consoles with no mouse.
  • [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    Right stick is no longer a relative directional selection mode, but also cycles through objects left/right.

I was hoping it would control the cursor, similarly to how the XBLA ports of the first 2 seasons worked, but with the left stick doing direct movement. :(
    If you're using a game pad on the PC, you can cycle through objects with your controller's equivalent of left/right bumper. Right stick is no longer a relative directional selection mode, but also cycles through objects left/right.

The algorithm that determines which object to highlight in front of you has been improved, so that most of the time you shouldn't need to cycle manually.

What I meant is: if the gamepad isn't detected, there are no alternative ways to cycle through the hotspots via keyboard. So... if one wants to remap the keys to the joypad using Xpadder or Joy2Key, it will be impossible to apply anything to the right stick. One would be forced to apply the mouse emulation to the right stick, and that's not a comfortable solution.
    To sum up: if your gamepad isn't supported, you can't rely on Joy2Key or Xpadder as I did with W&G, unless one's ready to move the cursor around with the right stick. :p
    To me, the thumbstick feels better because it is a more accurate visualization of what I'm doing.

Does it actually operate like a thumbstick, where the further you move it from the "center," the faster you go? It did not work that way in ToMI, and I think it would be very intuitive. That's how it worked in the Marios you guys are always talking about with regards to direct control.
  • So if there are touch-centric controls for the ipad version, is there any chance this will be in the Windows version as well? I have an acer tablet PC that runs windows 7 with multitouch, and it'd be neat to try playing with just the touchscreen. Monkey island worked on the machine, but it was a little tricky to move around with the click/drag. If the "virtual joystick" ends up in the PC version though, it might be a better solution.
    If you're using a game pad on the PC, you can cycle through objects with your controller's equivalent of left/right bumper. Right stick is no longer a relative directional selection mode, but also cycles through objects left/right.

As a programmer, you'll probably reckon than doing a linear search in a container is not the fastest way to find an item (Grim Fandango legacy) :)
  • Tramb wrote: »
    As a programmer, you'll probably reckon than doing a linear search in a container is not the fastest way to find an item (Grim Fandango legacy) :)

No, but I do think it is the fastest way to familiarize yourself with all objects in a container that was previously opaque. The problem with a relative directional selection scheme is you have to already know where you want to go and what items are selectable, else you will miss things. People missed things all the time in Wallace and Gromit. Linear search prevents gamepad people from skipping things. There's always a reason behind the control decisions we make.
  • User Avatar Image
    Jake Telltale Alumni
    Tramb wrote: »

Are you referring to Grim's inventory system here? If so, the slow animations and unresponsiveness to mid-animation keypresses (plus insisting on not just selecting, but just showing one item at a time) is to blame. Not that it was laid out in a line instead of a browsable grid. Or you were talking about something else.
  • Jake wrote: »
    Are you referring to Grim's inventory system here? If so, the slow animations and unresponsiveness to mid-animation keypresses (plus insisting on not just selecting, but just showing one item at a time) is to blame. Not that it was laid out in a line instead of a browsable grid. Or you were talking about something else.

I was talking about Grim's inventory, and you're totally right about your two points. Yet I do prefer 2D selection for inventory items. Cycling invariably means you gotta skip the good object, roll back, and curse.
    Having both modes is probably a good trade-off, and of course it depends of the inventory size in the game.
Add Comment