User Avatar Image

Dvd drm?

posted by jweir on - last edited - Viewed by 1.9K users
I know there was a discussion about people that noticed the change in the type of DRM used for Wallace and Gromit. I would like to hear an official Telltale response on how the DRM on the Tales DVD will work. Will it be essentially the downloaded versions like Wallace and Gromit, or will it be disc based like S+M 1/2 and SBCG4AP? This will affect my priority of ordering the disc, so I'm really interested to know.
185 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I don't have the Gromit disc, do you mean it's internet activation based?

Because that'd be pretty terrible, I don't like relying on that for the physical copies.
  • lord darkstorm;272223 said:
    I don't have the Gromit disc, do you mean it's internet activation based?

Because that'd be pretty terrible, I don't like relying on that for the physical copies.
    Yes, the Wallace and Gromit DVD's DRM is based on online activation.
  • Urgh.

Telltale, please count me as one virulently opposed to internet based activation for the physical based copies. I don't mind it for your digital downloads since I can email you for the unlock code, but the disc versions are my archived versions that I keep. If in ten years I want to play it and (god forbid) ttg no longer exists, on an internet based activation I'd no longer be able to play the game I've bought.

I know companies have made promises in the past to release unlocks in that event, but that just adds another thing to have to keep track of.

Please stick to disc based protection in the future.
  • Why do the DVDs need protection at all? So far, the download versions were all cracked long time before the DVDs were released. Thus, any protection on the DVD won't prevent piracy at all. Not even for a second.
  • I am pretty sure it's because the versions on the W&G disc are just burned online copies that online activation is necessary.

With the bugfixing that's going on with ToMI it seems less likely to be the case again this time, but confirmation would be nice.
  • If there ever are retail copies those would be disc-only DRM protected. My copy of S&M Season One Retail doesn't require online activation.
  • Add me to the list of those who want to know about the DRM used on the ToMI DVD.

FOR JUSTICE!
  • I bought the Deluxe package for the extras so it's not going to influence whether I get the disk or not (since I've ordered it already), but I'd like to know as well.
  • It'll be the same as the rest. Online activation. Only retail copies are free from that.
  • MusicallyInspired;272467 said:
    It'll be the same as the rest. Online activation. Only retail copies are free from that.
    No, Wallace and Gromit was the only DVD with online activation.
Add Comment