User Avatar Image

The successor to the Nintendo DS is announced!

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 2.9K users
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=118173

Coming from an official Nintendo PDF...

Nintendo Co., Ltd. (Minami-ward of Kyoto-city, President Satoru Iwata) will launch "Nintendo 3DS"(temp) during the fiscal year ending March 2011, on which games can be enjoyed with 3D effects without the need for any special glasses.

"Nintendo 3DS"(temp) is going to be the new portable game machine to succeed "Nintendo DS series", whose cumulative consolidated sales from Nintendo amounted to 125million units as of the end of December 2009, and will include backward compatibility so that the software for Nintendo DS series, including the ones for Nintendo DSi, can also be enjoyed.

We are planning to announce additional details at E3 show, which is scheduled to be held from June 15, 2010 at Los Angeles in the U.S.

Holy hell, this came out of absolutely nowhere! 3D without glasses...what in the world is this thing going to be?! The backwards compatibility with DS/DSi is the icing on the cake. I called that aspect during our last podcast! Thanks to everyone that sent this in!
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=118176

Basically it will be like-

-but you won't need glasses.

Apparently it also has rumble, and a control stick.

Discuss.
92 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I just got a newsletter that mentioned this. It sounds pretty cool, but Nintendo should probably come up with a new system instead of just upgrading the DS. Now everyone who just got there DSi XL will want to upgrade to this.
  • dentbuds;277137 said:
    I just got a newsletter that mentioned this. It sounds pretty cool, but Nintendo should probably come up with a new system instead of just upgrading the DS. Now everyone who just got there DSi XL will want to upgrade to this.
    Huh? If this source is accurate, this is as much "just an update to the DS" as the SNES was "just an update from the NES".
  • Oh great, and I had just bought a new DS. But tiny screens are able to do 3D images without glasses?
  • Yeah, it's not just ANOTHER DS. Successor to the DS means that it's a completely new handheld system.
  • Secret Fawful;277167 said:
    Yeah, it's not just ANOTHER DS. Successor to the DS means that it's a completely new handheld system.
    And because it's a new Nintendo handheld, you're better off waiting until hardware revision #3.
  • This is all well and good, but it won't be long before 3DTVs that don't require glasses are out, and then developers will probably start putting 3D into their ps3/xbox games.
  • Hopefully that means it'll be released within one or two years instead of the next five months. I'm still trying to figure out how it would be 3D without any glasses. Is it like a multi-layered screen that will create the illusion of 3D or something?

I also hope this will have another silly-sounding name that will create nerd rage everywhere.
  • Secret Fawful;277167 said:
    Yeah, it's not just ANOTHER DS. Successor to the DS means that it's a completely new handheld system.
    Yeah, I know this. I just think that announcing it right after the XL was released is a little soon.
    Secret Fawful;277167 said:
    I'm still trying to figure out how it would be 3D without any glasses. Is it like a multi-layered screen that will create the illusion of 3D or something?

I also hope this will have another silly-sounding name that will create nerd rage everywhere.
    I have no idea how they'll pull it off. In the interview on gamespot, Iwata said ''I have doubts whether people will be wearing glasses to play games at home. How is that going to look to other people?" I wonder if this means that he doesn't think he can pull it off, or if people just wouldn't buy it if glasses were necassesary.

As for the name, they should just call it the Super Nintendo DS or something.
  • dentbuds;277185 said:
    Yeah, I know this. I just think that announcing it right after the XL was released is a little soon.

I have no idea how they'll pull it off. In the interview on gamespot, Iwata said ''I have doubts whether people will be wearing glasses to play games at home. How is that going to look to other people?" I wonder if this means that he doesn't think he can pull it off, or if people just wouldn't buy it if glasses were necassesary.

Iwata never makes sense.

This could be extremely interesting, but I, too, have some uncertainty as to how they could pull this off.
  • dentbuds;277185 said:

Well now thats not so far off. I spoke to a guy recently who said that playing the Wii makes him look like a jackass, and plenty have complained about using the microphone in games in public on the DS. Having to wear 3D glasses in public while playing your handheld could end up looking kind of embarrassing for a lot of people. Personally, I think it would be freakin awesome. I could look just like the kid from Ghoul Patrol.

Oh and that quote was from PecanBlue, not me. XD
Add Comment