User Avatar Image

Money?

posted by Avistew on - last edited - Viewed by 1.8K users
Is money an inappropriate subject?
I like talking about money. I find it relaxing. I was wondering if other people were in the same case and would like to talk about it.

I know it's often taboo (you're not supposed to ask people how much they earn or stuff like that) but I wasn't sure if it's considered controversial enough to be, well, something to avoid talking about on forums.

Either way, if anyone else is interested, here is a money subject. Well, for now. Who knows what it's going to turn into.
105 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Will BANNED
    I'm not sure if this is a southern thing or just my family, but growing up my family simply did not talk about money. I mean, financial advice was certainly discussed, but specifics of "I make x" or "that costs y" were pretty seriously frowned upon. People simply didn't need to know what you made, for better or worse. To this day I still have no idea what my dad makes a year, and I've never asked. As such, I try to be very careful to avoid such specifics when talking to people, but there are times when it would certainly be handy.

For instance, a friend recently wanted to know about moving to the Bay Area, so we were talking about some of the details. The fact of the matter is that everything out here is just expensive, and you can expect for your rent/food costs to be a significantly larger percentage fo your income than it would in say Georgia.

Personally, I try to adjust by not spending too much on gadgetry and such, but I think I fail more often than not. I'd say the bulk of my surplus spending goes into my stomach though. God I love good food, even if it does cost an arm and a leg out here.
  • Will;287644 said:
    God I love good food, even if it does cost an arm and a leg out here.
    Well, that's the problem with cannibalism :p

EDIT: Dashing! If you're here, the French equivalent would be "it costs the eyes from the head". Like there are eyes in other places...
  • Will;287644 said:
    I'm not sure if this is a southern thing or just my family, but growing up my family simply did not talk about money. I mean, financial advice was certainly discussed, but specifics of "I make x" or "that costs y" were pretty seriously frowned upon. People simply didn't need to know what you made, for better or worse. To this day I still have no idea what my dad makes a year, and I've never asked. As such, I try to be very careful to avoid such specifics when talking to people, but there are times when it would certainly be handy.
    In Norway you can actually keep track of other people's income. I think it's maybe two times a year that the government give out information of how much money you've taxed. It's basically a search engine where you can look up everyone you know and figure out how much money they have based on what they taxed.
  • Haha I can imagine people going there to try and figure it out... Although I guess most people don't care.

I have no idea how much my parents earn either. They always considered that talking about money was "vulgar" and that knowing how much money you earn or spend is a poor people's thing.

Which is funny because I'm the opposite. The only time it really makes me uncomfortable to talk about money is if I need some. Or if someone is talking about giving me some (like, my grandfather for Christmas or something). Then I feel all bad about it. That is, I don't feel bad getting money for Christmas, but it's awkward if my grandfather asks how much I need or how he should give it to me. I fell like I'm demanding it when really, he doesn't have to.

I also don't like talking details when I'm the one giving it. Well, I've never given money directly, but if I pay at the restaurant or the theatre or something, it feels awkward having to insist that no, you don't need to write down the exact amount and make sure the other person invites you for something that's the same value.
    Although it's not nearly as awkward as assuming that when someone said "I'll invite you", then meant they'd pay, and it turns out they don't :P

On that note I remember once, I was at a pub where friends of mine worked and I spent most of my evenings. I was sitting at the bar, minding my own business. Some guy comes to the bar to order and asks if I want something. I say "no, thanks". He insists, like, a few times, so in the end I said something like "sure, I'll have a coke" (I don't like alcohol). He orders it, gives it to me and tell the bar-guy "Oh, I'm paying for everything except the coke. She's paying for that" and he pointed to me.
    Then he turned to me and said "I only ordered it for you because I could see you didn't dare order it yourself" or something.
    Awwwkward, especially considering the reason I didn't have a drink already was that I didn't have any money. That was really weird, I mean, who asked him, right?

Oooh, and another awkward time related to money. I had lent money to a friend. Well, it's been over five years and I've moved countries so I guess at this point I won't get it back, but at the time it was supposed to be a loan. I ended up having sex with the guy (incredible, I know) and then he asked something like "does that mean I owe you more money now?"
    I wasn't sure how to react lol. I was all "did you just call me a prostitute?". Although I think it's better than if he had asked "do I owe you less now?", as there would have always been a doubt that he was only trying to save money and wasn't actually interested in me at all.
    I think he was just trying to make a joke, though, because he's a cool guy and we stayed close for years, but that was a big "what the heck?" moment for me.

So, I would definitely say that money can bring awkwardness :p
  • In Norway you can actually keep track of other people's income. I think it's maybe two times a year that the government give out information of how much money you've taxed. It's basically a search engine where you can look up everyone you know and figure out how much money they have based on what they taxed.
    That seems a bit of an invasion of privacy.
    roberttitus;287231 said:
    [QUOTE=Rather Dashing;287217]Also, Avistew continues to make very good posts. It reminds me of the internet before every 12 year-old and their dog got onto it.
    You can't possibly be THAT old.[/QUOTE]
    Why shouldn't he be able to remember the early 90s?
  • Shwoo;287868 said:
    That seems a bit of an invasion of privacy.
    Yeah, I guess it is. I think it's okay to be against it in terms of political principles. Each to his own. The thing I hate about it is when people take the "I make more money then you" attitude. Most people don't care though.

Don't quote me on this, but maybe it works as a valuable tool for detecting crime and corruption. Not just for the media and people's personal interests.
  • Well, it only says how much people pay in taxes, and taxes are the government's property. I'm not shocked by it, I don't think it's supposed to be a secret anyways. I know in France your income tax declaration counts as a proof of residence, for instance, and if you have only electronic bills and/or don't have a landline you can't use much else. (Since anything official asks for originals, and a print of an e-bill isn't the original).

But I guess I can see how you could see it that way. Although I don't get people who want to hide how much they earn, it feels like they're ashamed of something or don't trust you. I mean by that that I understand not screaming it or telling everyone you meet, but if it comes up and you refuse to say it, it makes it look like you've got something to hide, and that just makes everything awkward.
    I've never worked in a place where I didn't know how much everyone there earned, and I know how much my friends earn, too. Nothing specific to the cent, of course, more of a range. It's not that bad, it helps know if you can suggest a date (you can use that word for non-romantic stuff, right?) or if they can't afford it and you should rather plan something cheaper like renting a movie or playing videogames.
    Plus, I'm not sure how common it is elsewhere, but I've had meals where the person who earned the more of the two just naturally payed the bill simply because they earned more. Hard to do if you don't know how much each other earns.

But you know, I guess that's cultural. I was thinking, in France religion for instance is a very personal matter. I don't know most of y friends' religion or even whether they believe in God. I don't know is my parents or brothers do, either. Sure there were hints at school when some students didn't have pork or didn't eat during the ramadan, but we never talked about it.
    And I seriously can't imagine someone in France publicly say "let's pray" like you see in American movies. It honestly would be similar to someone publicly saying "let's masturbate". It's just private.

So I guess how much money you earn might feel the same. But so many people HAVE to know (your job, your country, your spouse, your business partner, or whatever else applies) that it just doesn't feel private to me to begin with.

EDIT: actually, a correction. While we never talked directly about belief in God and the like, several of my brothers have made strong anti-religion comments that lead me to believe that they're at least anti-religion, and I'd assume it's not in a "I believe in God but I think religion is misled" way. So I guess I know for them.
  • I have enough money to be buried in if i took it all out in 5 cent coins and was 100cm tall...
  • The Highway;287962 said:
    I have enough money to be buried in if i took it all out in 5 cent coins and was 100cm tall...
    But then you'd suffocate to death.
  • if im being buried in them, chances are im already dead.
Add Comment