User Avatar Image

Sam et Max en Francais?

posted by queen_of_the_lobsters on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users
To the peeps at Telltale, is there a way I can download a French language and subtitle track for my Sam and Max games? I'll be studying abroad in France next spring, and I want to practice my listening comprehension skills before I go. Since you're games are interactive, it would be much more effective to learn French that way than through French television. Please let me know if I can find a version that I don't have to torrent. My school isn't that torrent friendly.
queen_of_the_lobsters
38 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • 04/25/2010 and we dont have a translated (subtitled version) sam&max season 2 in spanish, french, etc.

And this people make jokes in "april fool" day. Its really a shame.

But oohhh. Telltale is a small company and dont have money.. Only they can make games in xbox 360, ps3, ipaq but no translated version .....

People with minimal resources can make patches to traslate tales in monkey island. But telltale cant make subtitles (Except in xbox for obligation, of course)
    Patetic ...
  • Games that are translated are almost always translated by their retail publishers. It's Atari's job to translate them, not Telltale's.
  • bamse;295322 said:
    And still French pop culture, like Alizée, is probably extremely well known in the USA. Um, sorry if I'm not contributing anything useful to this thread folks. She's really hawt though.
    I asked around, absolutly none of my friends (we're American) have heard of her.
  • StonkBad;295882 said:
    Games that are translated are almost always translated by their retail publishers. It's Atari's job to translate them, not Telltale's.
    But atari dont launch the game .. Only in Wii.

Common !. Its Telltale job too. Its more easy. quickly (Three years for a fu..ing translation in season 2).
  • GaDo;295964 said:
    But atari dont launch the game .. Only in Wii.

Common !. Its Telltale job too. Its more easy. quickly (Three years for a fu..ing translation in season 2).
    Out of curiosity, how much would you be willing to pay for such a patch?
    Unless you think it should be provided for free, and the translators not paid for their work?
  • If I pay Telltale 35$ for the English only season, I'd gladly pay them another 7 or 10 $ for an official translation patch, provided it comes faster than the non-Telltale retail version.
  • avistew;295984 said:
    Out of curiosity, how much would you be willing to pay for such a patch?
    Unless you think it should be provided for free, and the translators not paid for their work?
    Its more expensive a ipad, ps3, wii version of Sam & max (licenses, programmers, etc) or only a few subtitles ??

The cost its only for no speak english users. Not for you.

This have a name. Is DISCRIMINATION.

We miss Lucasarts and multilanguage versions of classic games ...
  • GaDo;296178 said:
    Its more expensive a ipad, ps3, wii version of Sam & max (licenses, programmers, etc) or only a few subtitles ??
    "Only a few subtitles" are hundreds of different lines, with a different translator for each target language.
    The programmers, as far as I know, have a salary, so they're not paid more for working on something different.
    A translator is usually paid per word or per line (or sometimes per page for things like comics, leading to silly things like a wall-of-text kinda page earning the same as a page with one or two words on it).

They would need to pay the translator (a new person) a flat rate. For each language. Depending on how many people buy the page, it would probably not be worth it in the end. Not to mention they first need to find an agency to work with (in every country I've been, even freelance translator are contacted through agencies, never directly), and I don't expect they would find a single agency with native speakers of all these languages.
    So they might have to deal with a different agency for each.

That sounds like a lot of work and trouble when they can let the European distributor deal with it.
    It's nothing unusual. Translations are released later than original works, and Telltale has absolutely nothing to do with the delay for Season 2. Season 3 is likely to be translated sooner.
    About a year after the original product would be an average time for a translation. In this case, since it's episodic but the retail will contain them all, you need to start waiting when all episodes are released, since later episodes might influence how the earlier ones get translated, too (references to later episodes, things that take a second meaning later, etc).

I'm a French speaker originally, and I'm used to waiting for translations. And that's normal. I feel like you're being incredibly disrespectful of translators here, by saying their work is absolutely needed RIGHT NAO!!!11!! but you're not willing to pay a cent for it.
  • Apprenez l'anglais sacrebleu ! Les blagues sont meilleures :p

(Learn english! Jokes are better :p)
  • Z-4195;296189 said:
    Apprenez l'anglais sacrebleu ! Les blagues sont meilleures :p

(Learn english! Jokes are better :p)
    I notice you strategically removed "sacrebleu" from the translated sentence, une fois. (Are you Wallon or Flemish?)
Add Comment