User Avatar Image

Save the whales!

posted by JohanShogun on - last edited - Viewed by 810 users
Legal whale slaughter

Dear friends,

The International Whaling Commission has just unveiled a proposal to legalize commercial whale hunting for the first time in 24 years.

Countries are now deciding their first responses -- and they're watching public reaction closely. New Zealand called its provisions -- which include a legal quota for hunting endangered fin whales -- "offensive," "unacceptable," and "inflammatory." But other key nations are rumoured to be leaning in support of it. They need to hear from us now.

Avaaz has launched an urgent petition to show our leaders their people want to protect whales, not hunt, kill, and sell them. The petition is being sent to the International Whaling Commission each time it reaches another 100,000 signatures -- sign here and forward this message:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/whales_under_threat/98.php?CLICKTF

A strong international consensus has opposed whaling for decades -- but for just as long, Japan, Norway, and Iceland have continued to hunt whales, ignoring the global ban on whaling or exploiting a loophole by claiming their expeditions were "scientific research." Now they could be rewarded by this "compromise" proposal, in which their commercial whaling would be made legal in exchange for unenforceable promises to slowly reduce their yearly catch.

Worse still, a number of other countries are watching the process closely in hopes of launching their own whaling programs. If Japan, Norway, and Iceland can hunt whales and sell their meat, others will ask "if them, why not us?"

It's time to save the whales -- again. The IWC proposal will be voted up or down by country delegates this June, but their positions are hardening fast -- let's respond massively, right away, everywhere. Click below and forward this message to oppose the legalization of commercial whale hunting:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/whales_under_threat/98.php?CLICKTF

Forty years ago, whales were on the brink of extinction. But thanks to a global social movement, the world banned commercial whaling in 1986. The ban is one of the environmental movement's great triumphs.

Today, whales still face many threats: not just the whalers' harpoons, but also climate change, destruction of ecosystems by overfishing and pollution, and nets intended for other fish. A renewed wave of commercial whaling could devastate these extraordinarily intelligent and social cousins of humanity. This is no time to move backwards.
34 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well, just to clarify here, Norway and Iceland have not ignored the moratorium on whaling, it simple chose to take exception from it, as they and any other nation had the right to do when this moratorium was put in place. Japan, however, signed the deal, and have since hunted whale under claim of scientific research, a lot of which they also conduct, but it is no secret that the reason they do it is because it's perfectly acceptable to sell the meat as food.

That said, it is high time to allow for the continuation of whaling. Whales were hunted to the brink of extinction, like other species before it because of a lack of control with qoutas. The whaling Norway and Iceland conduct now are on species of whale that are not threatened, and in qoutas (that are rarely, if ever filled) that are adjusted each year to account for variables in breeding. There is simply put no valid reason to not allow whaling in controlled forms any longer, but of course only on species of whale that are not threatened by it. Again this won't be a problem, because the hunting that caused the near extinction of certain species of whale was for their oil. The world has since moved on, naturally. The only hunting of whale happening at the moment is for food, and all other potential whaling would also be for food.

Whale meat is delicious. You guys are missing out. There are no rational arguments for not allowing whaling. If you oppsose all hunting of animals, I can at least understand that argument, but if that's the case, try to sell me on that and not some save the whales rubbish. Go tell someone you support whaling instead and help fight the good fight against irrational people everywhere.
  • I could eat a whole whale with good conscience. I would have preserved tons of other species just by doing so :D
  • Somehow I get the feeling that an organization called the "International Whaling Commission" isn't going to care about any petitions sent to it. If you want a chance of making a difference, write your own country's legislators.
  • WarpSpeed;296320 said:
    Somehow I get the feeling that an organization called the "International Whaling Commission" isn't going to care about any petitions sent to it. If you want a chance of making a difference, write your own country's legislators.
    Actually, the International Whaling Commision instigated the moratorium on whaling, and it's pretty much their call whether or not to allow it again. The moratorium was needed at the time, many species of whale was hunted to near-extinction, but there simply is no need to keep such a moratorium any longer for non-endagered species of whale.
  • It's a conflict of interests for me, I don't wanna see whales die by any means. But if I ever get the chance to eat whale meat i'm game (the poor thing's already dead, it'd be a waste not to in my head)

I'd say the whaling commision cares about whale numbers, no whales means no whaling, but i'm sure the numbers are a hell of a lot off from what they were.

In short, I have no idea what i'm talking about, but i'd probably eat whale meat and then feel guilty about it
  • While I don't know anyone there, I am pretty sure that there are many good people in Wales. Thus I agree to save it. After all, we wouldn't want an innocent Welsh to die, right?

• A petition to show the leaders they don't want it to happen? It'll never work. People will still buy whale meat. If all the Veggies in the UK made a petition against Beef, that wouldn't be banned. Not justifying it or anything, just saying that a petition will have little effect (affect?)
  • Friar;296471 said:
    A petition to show the leaders they don't want it to happen? It'll never work. People will still buy whale meat. If all the Veggies in the UK made a petition against Beef, that wouldn't be banned. Not justifying it or anything, just saying that a petition will have little effect (affect?)
    Effect. Affect (as a noun) means feeling. As verbs, affect means to influence (which results in an effect. I know, not very straightforward). To affect can also mean to fake. To effect means to accomplish.

Most of the time though, effect is a noun (an effect = a result) and affect is a verb.
  • I agree!
    SHAVE THE WHALES!
    Their hair has been cloggin' up my drain for much too long...
  • Avistew;296498 said:
    Effect. Affect (as a noun) means feeling. As verbs, affect means to influence (which results in an effect. I know, not very straightforward). To affect can also mean to fake. To effect means to accomplish.

Most of the time though, effect is a noun (an effect = a result) and affect is a verb.
    That's what i thought (and generally do), but i always end up self-doubting myself!
Add Comment