User Avatar Image

I call shenanigans on the "SECRET"

posted by Irishmile on - last edited - Viewed by 580 users
Thats right.... what I think is that the "Secret" was and always was intended to be that the giant monkey head (second biggest) opens and leads to a labyrinth to which you can navigate (if you can get ahead in navigation) your way to hell...

I also think that LeChuck found this probably with the aid of the locals... or died, ended up in hell,.... made a deal with the Devil, and or escaped on his own finding his way through the underworld, and out of the monkey head.... as a ghost.

THAT is what I believe the secret is... and it WAS pretty much revealed in the very first game.... I just think people didn't quite get that, that was the secret and Ron either thought it was too embarrassing that people didn't understand that was supposed to be the secret or he just figured it was more fun to let people think there was indeed a different secret and didn't correct people..

So what are your thoughts? shenanigans? Or there is still a secret that we have not been shown?

Either way I am emailing Myth busters to get on this myth..
29 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Sounds plausible to me.
  • so then, what do you believe the "escape" of monkey island is? Wait, FROM? No wonder I never understood that game!
  • I think at that point they were just throwing nouns in front of the title even if it didn't have anything to do with Monkey Island.
  • MusicallyInspired;299466 said:
    I think at that point they were just throwing nouns in front of the title even if it didn't have anything to do with Monkey Island.
    kind of like with tales XP
  • At least Tales doesn't hint at a vague plot point....
  • Irishmile;299489 said:
    At least Tales doesn't hint at a vague plot point....
    when I first herd about the game cos its my first episodic game I assumed each ep was a diffrent tale mainly cos I was so hysterical about there being a new one I wasnt reading wikipedia propoly XD
  • User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff
    Yeah, I'll come along with you on this.

In fact I always thought that Monkey Island was the secret in and of itself, because of its almost mythical status and the near-impossibility of getting there. Saying "The Secret of Monkey Island" is like saying "The secret of Steve's penchant for dressing up as a sexy policewoman and pulling over cars on the freeway" - the latter part of the sentence IS the secret.

If there actually is some big secret, there is absolutely no way it will ever live up to fans' expectations... I know that Gilbert has said that there is a real secret that is yet to be revealed, but like you said, I think that's more likely to be something he conjured up after the first game. Of course, I'm still interested to know what that is though. :)
  • I think I have been pulled over by steve....... the strip search will haunt me til the end of my days.
  • I wouldn't be suprised if there is no 'secret' hidden away somewhere.
    But I like your way of thinking, Irishmile.

(And you too puzzlebox, especially the part about Steve.)
  • When I first played Secret, that's exactly what I thought. The secret is that the monkey head is really a gateway to hell. Works for me. (certainly makes a lot more sense/is less stupid than it being a giant monkey robot)

And yes, I do think that a lot of the fuss about the 'real' secret is just handwaving, like it's been seized on as a way to keep fans interested in the series. Given how many people seem to want to know the 'real' secret, it works!
Add Comment