User Avatar Image

The Incredible Puzzle Thread

posted by Klatuu on - last edited - Viewed by 17.5K users
Hi,

This is a thread to discuss some of your other favorite puzzles, riddles, brain teasers, armchair treasure hunts, etc.

To get started, here's an online puzzle hunt I've participated in before: Puzzlecrack. It's a week-long competition with clues given through the web page. Past competitions (and solutions) are still there for you to figure out.

Another similar one is Microsoft's College Puzzle Challenge.

Any other favorites?

-Klatuu
599 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • prizna wrote: »
    Heres one,

What will weigh the same when it is full and empty?

I would have said "a balloon", but I hear that due to pressure or something, they actually DON'T weigh the same. So I don't know.
  • Is it literally or figuratively? Because I can think of stuff like full moon or empty promises, but they only work for one of the two.
  • A writable CD/DVD? Or does the burning process remove mass?
  • Didero wrote: »
    A writable CD/DVD? Or does the burning process remove mass?

I guess your correct I was thinking of a hard drive but a writable cd works aswell
  • prizna wrote: »
    fine i lose now give this a go: http://www.mazeworks.com/hanoi/

I have the Tower of Hanoi down to a science...on my physical, 7-level tower, I can complete it in minimal steps in two minutes.

The number of steps required, if anyone is curious is 2^n - 1, where n is the number of levels.

Here's the trick: Any time a piece is moved to an empty peg, the next goal is to stack all smaller pieces on top of that piece. You might say "Well, isn't that the goal of the entire puzzle?" Sure, but it's also the goal of every single intermediate step, making it a recursive process.

Imagine a four-level tower. First, I move the top piece, creating a tower of 1. Then I move piece 2 to the empty peg and put piece 1 on top of it, creating a tower of 2. Then I move piece 3 to the empty peg...my goal now is to get a tower of 3 so that I have an empty peg for piece 4.

Here's a method I use to speed things up. Let's say I have a tower of x pieces that I'm trying to transfer onto the next largest base (example: I have a 4-level tower that I'm trying to transfer onto the next largest piece to make a 5-level tower). If x is odd, I move the top, smallest piece of my tower directly onto the new base. If x is even, I move the smallest piece onto the peg that the new base *isn't* on. The place where most people make mistakes, I'd imagine, is right at the beginning of these minitower constructions, because if you make this one false move, your tower won't be transferred to the base, it will be transferred to the other peg.

Anyway, I'm done with my crazy Tower of Hanoi raves.
  • I generally count how many rings I have, and then depending on whether its even or odd, move the top ring to either the second or third peg (even second, odd third). The rest of the puzzle pretty much does itself. I still make mistakes because I suck at counting but it works pretty well.
  • What weighs the same when it's full or empty?
    A birdcage with an electrified floor.

My puzzle from the last page:
    second ______ = third _______

A whole!

or it. Whether you are full of it or dont want anything to do with it:D
    A birdcage with an electrified floor.

Assuming birds levitate rather than flap their wings for upwards thrust?
Add Comment