User Avatar Image

The Incredible Puzzle Thread

posted by Klatuu on - last edited - Viewed by 14.7K users
Hi,

This is a thread to discuss some of your other favorite puzzles, riddles, brain teasers, armchair treasure hunts, etc.

To get started, here's an online puzzle hunt I've participated in before: Puzzlecrack. It's a week-long competition with clues given through the web page. Past competitions (and solutions) are still there for you to figure out.

Another similar one is Microsoft's College Puzzle Challenge.

Any other favorites?

-Klatuu
599 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I really don't consider that a legitimate puzzle. It's more like a joke. "What did the barman say to the cowboy?" would have about as many possible answers as your original question. It's not really possible to solve without having heard it in the past, because it needs you to assume that a detail in the original question was not as it was said.

But, to move on.
    I'm not sure if I posted this already.

Here is a series of numbers:
    152 -> 18 -> 8 -> 5 -> 4 -> 4 -> 4 -> 4....

Here is another:
    23 -> 11 -> 6 -> 3 -> 5 -> 4 -> 4....

And another:
    100 -> 10 -> 3 -> 5 -> 4 -> 4....

Now, create a series from the number 49.

Also, ask me for another number if you want to.
  • NeatNit;345441 said:
    Now, create a series from the number 49.

Also, ask me for another number if you want to.
    Took a bit of thinking, this one, but I think I have it:

49 -> 9 -> 4 -> 4 ...
  • Ah yeah, I gottit.
    Also 45 - > 9 - > 4 - > 4...

And the bicycle puzzle isn't impossible when you haven't heard it before. I hadn't heard it before and got it pretty quickly.
  • doodinthemood;345696 said:
    And the bicycle puzzle isn't impossible when you haven't heard it before. I hadn't heard it before and got it pretty quickly.
    I think my key dislike for the type is the fact that it's not impossible to get it right, but it *is* impossible to eliminate valid wrong answers. It feels like you're not trying to find the right answer, just the answer the questioner wants you to give.
  • Geez, no one's posted anything on this in forever. How about this, a feeble attempt to revive this thread:

You are on a street corner. You are standing next to a banker who is going into the nearby barbershop, whose owner has a passion for photography. Next to the barbershop is a fire station. The fireman inside is cleaning his fire engine. Where are you?
  • On the street corner.

Or, in Litigation Land, where the barber will be startled when the fire engine siren goes off, stabbing the banker in the head, just as the automatic cameras in the shop record the whole event.
  • doodinthemood;344697 said:
    Yup, if the earth span the other way, then we would have 367 days on our calendar :)
    Explain? I don't see why this would be the case at all... and villagio doesn't explan why he thinks days would be "8 minutes shorter". Surely if all that changes is the spinning direction, each day would be just as long?
  • Soultaker;356427 said:
    Explain? I don't see why this would be the case at all... and villagio doesn't explan why he thinks days would be "8 minutes shorter". Surely if all that changes is the spinning direction, each day would be just as long?
    The length of a day is not just the time the earth takes for one rotation. It is the time it takes any one point on the earth to be facing the same direction from the sun, but the earth also takes one trip around the sun in a year, so this place isn't exactly one rotation around. If the earth took 4 days to orbit the sun, then in one day it only needs to spin 3/4 of its axis, to get from midday to midday. If it spun the other way, it would need to spin 1.25 times around its axis.

As it is, the earth is doing more work than just one spin for us to perceive a day, and if it spun the other way, it could get the job done sooner.
  • Ah, thanks! :) That makes sense!
Add Comment