User Avatar Image

New Genres? Intriguing...

posted by thom-22 on - last edited - Viewed by 2K users
The press release says, "The agreement broadens Telltale's product offerings into new genres and new styles of gameplay."

We clearly can't expect these just-announced titles to be the usual Telltale point-and-click fare. As much as I love their adventures games, I think branching out into new genres is great for Telltale. But I'd need to know more before I could say whether or not I'm interested.

On one hand, if I'm going to "be" in the Jurassic Park universe, I'd much rather have an action (or action-adventure) game than a straight-up adventure. But it ain't easy making successful, compelling action games. You can't just graft action elements onto an adventure game style -- you end up displeasing fans of both genres.

Or maybe it's something else entirely. Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning more details as they emerge.
29 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I have no problem with Telltale expanding into other genres, just as long as they do continue to make adventure games also.
  • I think by new genres they mean "not comedy". Dan Connors has been talking all year about the next IPs being more serious and less comedic.
  • Yes, but it also says "new styles of gameplay". I can't imagine pointing and clicking at my leisure with an angry T-Rex on my trail.
  • Yeah, I read the first part of that as new licence genres.
  • Haggis;322095 said:
    Yes, but it also says "new styles of gameplay". I can't imagine pointing and clicking at my leisure with an angry T-Rex on my trail.
    Perhaps the games could incorporate the feature that we see in games like 'Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon', where you have to react and click a particular object at a certain time to avoid dying.

Example.

Edit: I guess it's not really clicking at leisure though. And it is slightly different gameplay to your traditional point-and-click adventure game.
  • Quick-time events? Hmmm... I'm not really a fan of those. Oh well, as long as Telltale manages to put a proper degree of suspense into this I don't really mind what sort of game this will be. After all, straight-up adventure games can be pretty scary too, if done right.
  • There hasn't been so much pointing-and-clicking in Telltale Games for a while now...
  • jp-30;322116 said:
    There hasn't been so much pointing-and-clicking in Telltale Games for a while now...
    Hmmm... I always point and click at the items. :)
  • They might prove to be more action-oriented games, but it's been stated at least that they won't be "shoot-'em-ups."
    In the official announcement materials, Bill Kispert, interactive vice president at Universal Studios, seems to suggest that these games won't be shoot-'em-ups. Whew. "Jurassic Park and Back to the Future are two of our broadest and most beloved properties," Kispert said in a statement. "We were very interested in bringing them into the interactive space, but they're not exactly the kind of properties that lend themselves to the stereotypical shoot-'em-up style of gameplay."
    http://www.giantbomb.com/news/telltale-to-take-on-jurassic-park-and-back-to-the-future/2089/
  • Haggis;322111 said:
    Quick-time events? Hmmm... I'm not really a fan of those. Oh well, as long as Telltale manages to put a proper degree of suspense into this I don't really mind what sort of game this will be. After all, straight-up adventure games can be pretty scary too, if done right.
    There's always cutscenes as well.
Add Comment