User Avatar Image

Why does Sam and Max lag and how should i fix it?

posted by Bertan1311 on - last edited - Viewed by 460 users
I have

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 5400+
GeForce 9800 GT 512MB
4GB RAM

All drivers updated and background programs turned off and Sam and Max still lags, it happened with episode 2 and it happened with episode 3... I play the game for 5 minutes and it starts to lag and it lags for about 30seconds-1minute and then it stops and the same cycle goes over and over... please help how should i fix it?:confused:
16 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Lower the graphics quality.
  • Check to see if you have an overheating issue.
  • Try running the game in windowed mode. That works swell with my computer, and I don't have to lower the graphics quality.
  • Download Speedfan and tell us what your rig's temp is. Could be overheating like Avel said.
  • GPU 83C
    Temp1 52C
    Temp2 52C
    Temp3 -128C
    HD0 39
    Core 29C

Is this it or did i mess something up
  • Negative 128C is preposterous. You'd have to cool it with liquid nitrogen or something like that.
  • Bertan1311;335892 said:
    GPU 83C
    Temp1 52C
    Temp2 52C
    Temp3 -128C
    HD0 39
    Core 29C

Is this it or did i mess something up
    Is this during play or outside of it? If its not during play you won't have an accurate picture of what's going on.

Those temperatures seem a bit low for in use, especially the core temp (though the GPU temp seems high for idle as well).

Also, I think the -128C is normal in SpeedFan, its just trying to grab a temp that's not there and probably returning the minimum value or something.
  • Hatley;335698 said:
    Lower the graphics quality.
    This helped, but i don't get it... Is my pc so weak that it can't stand playing sam and max on higher resolution ?
  • Bertan1311;335913 said:
    This helped, but i don't get it... Is my pc so weak that it can't stand playing sam and max on higher resolution ?
    Your PC should easily be able to handle the game on max settings.

Maybe you have some spyware? Or crazy overactive antivirus software?
  • I have a slightly better cpu than you and a quite a bit worse graphics card and I can play lag free at a fairly good resolution (1280x1024) and quality (9) so that shouldn't be it.

Besides overheating you might want to check that all your drivers are up to date.

Also, and someone else would likely know better than I, I think a lot of AMD boards tend to function better with ATI cards over Nvidia so you might check out your board as well.
Add Comment