Puzzle Agent impressions!

posted by Jake Telltale Alumni on - last edited - Viewed by 6.6K users

Puzzle Agent is here!

Get it
Official site!

Store!

Marketing!
What is the mystery of Scoggins?

What the heck is going on Scoggins, Minnesota? When White House inquiries to the Scoggins Eraser Co. are answered only with curious puzzles, the U.S. Department of Puzzle Investigation's Nelson Tethers is sent on the case.

As the government's sole Puzzle Agent, Tethers has his hands full: the strange case of Scoggins plunges him into a mystery that will challenge every ounce of his expertise, and possibly his very wits too. Tethers must overcome brainteasers at every turn, including mazes, logic puzzles and riddles. He soon realizes that these - along with the clinically pre-occupied townspeople, secret societies, and mysterious sounds from the forest - are intimately connected to the core conundrum. And what's with the gnomes?

---

So you guys have been playing it a bit, I hope! What do you think? Let's talk Puzzle agent!
296 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • richmcd;338245 said:
    Trial and error in adventure games is fine, but this is a puzzle game which explicitly punishes you for experimenting by reducing your rank. If the scoring system encourages first time solutions then you should be able to solve the puzzles first time, without entering a trial solution to work out what the rules mean.

Even if you enjoy that it still wouldn't excuse the puzzle with the maze to get to the lightbulb, where a totally missing rule means there are several alternate solutions.

I agree that the easy jigsaws were a shame - allowing the pieces to be rotated would have reduced the problem of too much of it solving itself by accident.
    Reduces your rank compared to whom?

But in all seriousness, I do understand where you're coming from, and yes, I screwed up my first attempt at the brain puzzle too by not filling in all the boxes. c'est la vie.

also:

I liked the snap in feature of the jigsaws, but I totally agree some rotation would have been a good feature (I don't mind when I get things by accident, but I'd like to think I'd done it myself without the 'oops' factor.)
  • tbm1986;338346 said:
    Some of the puzzles appeared to have more than one solution (ones that come to mind are the last carrier birds one and the 3 dining couples one), which teed me off that I had to go change my answer to the specific one they wanted.
    What do you think is an alternative solution to the dining couples puzzle? I think it's definitely unique. But I think the number of people who have had this sort of problem strongly supports having the rules on the same page as the puzzle. I think people can handle a smaller font size!
  • richmcd;338409 said:
    What do you think is an alternative solution to the dining couples puzzle? I think it's definitely unique. But I think the number of people who have had this sort of problem strongly supports having the rules on the same page as the puzzle. I think people can handle a smaller font size!
    But can we handle THE TRUTH?

sorry, had to be said
  • Finished the game now. After my previous praise now some minor criticisms:

The ending was too anticlimactic for my taste, especially if it's not certain that we'll get more episodes. The final puzzles were very easy, too. Would have expected some "boss puzzle" at the end.

The widescreen format could have been used better. In some puzzles, it would have been possible to display the rules and the actual puzzle at the same time.

I also second the suggestions regarding the user interface. Especially I'd like to be able to scroll through the puzzle files using the mouse wheel. Actually, I'm always frustrated when there's scrolling to do and the mouse wheel is not supported properly... reminds me of cruddy Flash homepages.

Nevertheless, a good start for the Telltale pilot program. I keep looking forward to new episodes. Oh, and fantastic music of course. Did Jared compose the main theme? There were three people mentioned in the credits, if I recall correctly.
  • nodoctors;338392 said:
    Plus that diner song is beautiful and really helps set that eerie Twin Peaks feel in that particular setting. Soundtrack mp3 downloads please.
    There's one tune available here: http://www.telltalegames.com/puzzleagent

click on the tape recorder.
  • scoundrelking;338413 said:
    There's one tune available here: http://www.telltalegames.com/puzzleagent

click on the tape recorder.
    Damn. Talk about your audio teaser.
  • Am I the only one who remembers Goosebumps after the end?
  • Okay after I finished the game:

Liked:
    - the story, the characters, the puzzles, the music, the game over all
    - I liked that in the puzzles the parts snap into place when they are at the right spot
    - No time based puzzles
    - the mouse curser expands and shows clickable objects in a small radius
    - the "how"-notes

disliked:
    - The Ending. Many will disagree with me on that but I think if the scene in the office was cut or placed after the credits it would have fitted the style of the cartoons in a much better way.

features I would like to see:
    - gaphic quality controls (even if there are not many special effects the game would have been much better if I had a chance to get a descent framerate)
    - a puzzle counter that showed the total number of puzzles (so I could be sure that I did not miss any)
    - Maybe a little thingie that told me the number of puzzles available in a location at this moment when I hover about it on the map
    - turning puzzle pieces
    - (more) puzzles without a fixed correct solution // randomized puzzles that still work. --> this would make it harder to create a walkthrough but some puzzles just had the potential for that. e.g. the hydraulics puzzle or the log-&-snowmobil puzzles.
    - I liked that the first snow mobile puzzle had 2 solutions in the same map (The N and the S) and that this was hinted at in the "how"-note.
    - different amounts of money for the puzzles (maybe depending on the difficulty).
  • Now I've finished the episode and my earlier feelings of boredom stayed a long way away for the remaining over half of the game. Some of the puzzles got me racking my brain, especially the birds on a clothesline thing. I'm sure my ears were spewing smoke as I tried to visualize it without pen & paper.

The story was great after it got going and it felt somehow refreshingly different. Probably because of it's surprising grimness and many things with the baddies that made them mysterious and scary, like them avoiding direct interaction with Nelson.

The gnomes looked appropriately creepy too and the Penderecki-ish music multiplied the effect. Especially for me as that guy's music is to blame for my most frightening and distressing film experience (Inland Empire, I'm looking at you).

I also liked not having a manual save function as there isn't easy way to savescum perfect scores on every puzzle like in Layton and the end result actually reflects the player's skill with the puzzles.

Ramble ramble, I enjoyed the game and would definitely buy an episode 2 as I expect it to be even better.
Add Comment