User Avatar Image

Is Guybrush Threepwood...

posted by Debbie82 on - last edited - Viewed by 3.9K users
...some sort of Christ figure? According to Wikipedia:

"A Christ figure is a literary technique that authors use to draw allusions between their characters and the biblical Jesus Christ. More loosely, the Christ Figure is a spiritual or prophetic character who parallels Jesus, or other spiritual or prophetic figures.

In general, a character should display more than one correspondence with the story of Jesus Christ as depicted in the Bible. For instance, the character might display one or more of the following traits: performance of miracles, manifestation of divine qualities, healing others, display loving kindness and forgiveness, fight for justice, being guided by the spirit of the character's father, death and resurrection. Christ figures are often martyrs, sacrificing themselves for causes larger than themselves.

In postmodern literature, the resurrection theme is often abandoned, leaving us with the image of a martyr sacrificing himself for a greater good. It is common to see Christ figures displayed in a manner suggestive of crucifixion as well; this technique is more noticeable in films than in literature."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_figure

I noticed that though Guybrush is a plucky, yet stupid, goofy and incompetent pirate, treasure hunter and swashbuckler, yet he seems to have some sort of Christ qualities and traits (examples: Guybrush using voodoo powers for good under guidance of the unnamed Voodoo Lady, his almost supernatural ability to hold his breath underwater for 10 minutes, etc.), and on multiple occasions Guybrush presents himself as an unlikely sacrifice and, in doing so, is able to destroy the evil undead pirate LeChuck and his voodoo curses time and time again (see the examples on Curse of Monkey Island and Tales of Monkey Island).

So if Guybrush is a Christ figure, he sure seems to be an unlikely one, huh? :cool: :rolleyes:
39 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Perhaps he was shot out of a canon from some cargo ship?
  • Mermaid;350801 said:
    I doubt Jesus EVER...left a Manatee via its service entrance.

Well, Guybrush, Morgan and Winslow being swallowed by a manatee and remaining there for a short time kind of references the story in which Jonah was swallowed by a whale and remaining there for three days and nights. Even Jesus made a reference when he said, "An evil and unfaithful generation seeks a sign, but no sign will be given it except the sign of Jonah the prophet. Just as Jonah was in the belly of the whale three days and three nights, so will the Son of Man be in the heart of the earth three days and three nights" (Matthew 12:39-40, NAB).
  • hehe Jesus was doing biblical fan service.
  • Debbie82;351120 said:
    Well, Guybrush, Morgan and Winslow being swallowed by a manatee and remaining there for a short time kind of references the story in which Jonah was swallowed by a whale and remaining there for three days and nights. Even Jesus made a reference when he said, "An evil and unfaithful generation seeks a sign, but no sign will be given it except the sign of Jonah the prophet. Just as Jonah was in the belly of the whale three days and three nights, so will the Son of Man be in the heart of the earth three days and three nights" (Matthew 12:39-40, NAB).
    Goes to show how little I know from the bible and what a bad christian I am...
  • This topic reminds me of an article on TV Tropes (I spend too much time there, lol)

What Do You Mean, It's Not Symbolic?
  • I dunno if you guys remember/know this, but Dom Armato, while claiming he doesn't know, has directly implied that Guybrush was supposed to be a messianic figure. Stating
    "He enters the series on top of a mountain, with no obvious point of entry...It's almost like he came down from somewhere."
    [or something to that effect, I can't remember the exact quote.]

EDIT: Didn't see that Fawful beat me to the punch.
  • alexonfyre;352053 said:
    I dunno if you guys remember/know this, but Dom Armato, while claiming he doesn't know, has directly implied that Guybrush was supposed to be a messianic figure. Stating
    "He enters the series on top of a mountain, with no obvious point of entry...It's almost like he came down from somewhere."
    [or something to that effect, I can't remember the exact quote.]

EDIT: Didn't see that Fawful beat me to the punch.
    So, er, that would make him Moses then? :D
  • StarEye;352212 said:
    So, er, that would make him Moses then? :D
    Right, cause he threw something from a mountain, too...some pyrite.
  • he also brought back rapp scallion back from the dead
  • This thread have enough stuff to make a petition at the Vatican to make Guybrush a saint.
Add Comment