User Avatar Image

Am i the only one who uses walkthroughs for this game?

posted by Bertan1311 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users
I have played all three seasons of sam and max and i didn't finish one, not even one episode without using the walkthrough at least once (okay, three or four times)

I am the only one?
56 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Old games are hard man. The only one i have beaten is Somi. But i beat all sam and max episodes by myself. (except night of the raving dead)
  • I only used a walkthru for one episode in season one. It was the one with virtual reality and was my least favorite episode. I played it through with the walk-thru because I didn't want to miss anything storywise.
  • I have to use hints throughout the series mostly season 3... Who would come to the conclusion to drop a cellphone in an old pizza box in the middle of an alley on the hopes that a pidgeon would eat it?
  • Mystic wrote: »
    I have to use hints throughout the series mostly season 3... Who would come to the conclusion to drop a cellphone in an old pizza box in the middle of an alley on the hopes that a pidgeon would eat it?

That puzzle wasn't difficult at all. This is how you get to that conclusion:
    - Future vision shows you need to get to the roof
    - There's no visible way to the roof
    - But there's teleportation to reach places that are out of reach otherwise
    - Teleportation needs a phone
    - The roof probably doesn't have a phone
    - But there's a cell in your inventory - to get up to the roof, you'll need to get the mobile there
    - You can't throw the mobile to the roof
    - Maybe the all-infesting pigeons can carry it up there
    - Can't interact with the pigeon directly (or it didn't have the right effect, can't remember)
    - Pigeon keeps going back to the pizza box
    - Let's put the phone on the box and see what happens
    - Yuck. I wasn't expecting exactly that - but it works!

Now, it took a lot longer to write down than to actually think up - with the experimenting, it wasn't more than a minute. If you've been playing adventure games for a while, this thought process comes naturally ;)
  • Plus Future Vision Sam says something along the lines of "I can't BELIEVE it swallowed it whole". That was actually my clue.
  • Well, its not much of a game if you just use a walkthrough from beginning to end.

I only use them when I've been stumped for about 15 minutes or so.
  • I needed walkthroughs for parts of 301 and almost all of 302. The other three episodes I didn't use any guides because I was able to understand the puzzle styles more.
  • in 305 for a while I didn't know you could move while waving the corn dog which is a big part of the puzzle.

That happened to me too. I actually was about to go to the walkthrough only to think real fast if that was possible.
    Also A happens to me ALWAYS on adventure games. I cant even remember when I didnt know what to do because I didnt have a specific item or hotspot(I think the only time was to get superball to turn around in 305 which was a very dumb puzzle)
  • I've used a walkthrough to complete most of the episodes in all series, mainly because I really wanted to finish the game; which is very foolish because there's no satisfaction when you use a walkthrough to help, I usually use them twice per game, although Moai better blues seemed quite logical to me, when series 4 comes out I promise myself not to use a walkthrough!
  • I've used a walkthrough for all the episodes of s2 except ep 3
Add Comment