User Avatar Image

Yet more Adventure Pack woes

posted by Tentacle on - last edited - Viewed by 2.1K users
I bought and downloaded the Adventure Pack. I've downloaded The Whispered World, but when I attempt to install it, it gives me an NSIS error after it verifies the installer. It says that the download may be damaged or incomplete, but I am unable to re-download it. Damn and blast!

Thanks in advance - any suggestions to unholy-this my problem will be appreciated.
28 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Just as a quick tip for now, try running it as an administrator. That worked for my installation problem.
  • Nope, it's not an access problem, the install files are corrupt. Had the same problem with Precipice Ep1.
  • Same problem here. I've removed the installer file and asked it to download again, but I don't know whether it'll make any difference.
  • I am also having a problem with the adventure bundle. I purchased and then downloaded "bundle.exe" and installed it. then when i tryed to run it i got this message "This application has failed to start because d3dx9_41.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

so i did re-install, same problem. re-downloaded, re-installed, same problem.

what are some actions i might try?
  • Ben BB;374874 said:
    I am also having a problem with the adventure bundle. I purchased and then downloaded "bundle.exe" and installed it. then when i tryed to run it i got this message "This application has failed to start because d3dx9_41.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

so i did re-install, same problem. re-downloaded, re-installed, same problem.

what are some actions i might try?
    Just hazarding a guess, but it sounds like your DirectX might not be up-to-date. Try going here and downloading and installing the latest version.

If you have further problems, it might be better if you start a new post, so that your issue and the one described here can be dealt with separately. :)
  • tcnuk is right - if you receive the .dll error, it's due to not having the most up-to-date Direct X. Downloading the latest should fix that problem, and meanwhile we're working on a fix for the bundle where it auto-detects and downloads the latest Direct X so you guys don't have to do it manually anymore.

As for not being able to install due to corrupted files, it sounds like something happened during the transfer process (unfortunately a possibility given the size of some of these files). The only quick recommendation I have is deleting the downloaded file so the wrapper will allow you to re-download, and hopefully that download won't be corrupted in the transfer. We're also looking into detecting corrupted files on our end.
  • Thanks for the response. I'm still trying to download the file again, but it's been proceeding very slowly and halts at about 37%. If I close and restart the program, it resets back to 0%. I've done this three times now. Are you guys having issues with the servers?
  • tcnuk;375060 said:
    Thanks for the response. I'm still trying to download the file again, but it's been proceeding very slowly and halts at about 37%. If I close and restart the program, it resets back to 0%. I've done this three times now. Are you guys having issues with the servers?
    Ditto me
  • tcnuk;375060 said:
    Thanks for the response. I'm still trying to download the file again, but it's been proceeding very slowly and halts at about 37%. If I close and restart the program, it resets back to 0%. I've done this three times now. Are you guys having issues with the servers?
    I've had a similar problem, but at 2 or 6%; I've never been able to download the files with the launcher. When checking the download folder in "My Documents", the downloaded file simply had its size reset to 1K, no matter how much was downloaded earlier. The launcher also closed all TCP connections as per sysinternals' tcpview.

I've been able to download the files with direct links (obtained with wireshark) via browser with no issues though (and all 4 at the same time, too ;)):
    Whispered world: http://telltale.vo.llnwd.net/o15/games/adventurebundle/tww-6.exe
    Jack Keane: http://telltale.vo.llnwd.net/o15/games/adventurebundle/jk-6.exe
    King's Quest: http://telltale.vo.llnwd.net/o15/games/adventurebundle/kq-7.exe
    Penny Arcade: http://telltale.vo.llnwd.net/o15/games/adventurebundle/pa1-9.exe

(I hope I do not breach any rules by posting these here; the links are not protected AND the installers automagically know to install themselves within the adventure bundle directory, so I'm assuming they won't work if the bundle is not properly installed and registered with securom or whichever it uses first).
  • Ok, an update. I've still not managed to get the whole of Whispered World downloaded through the Telltale application. I've tried about six times now and it always just stops, most frequently in the 30-40% range. Inspired by Ghorin's detective work (thanks for the URLs, by the way), I did a little snooping of my own. I'm experiencing the same as him/her: the downloaded file being reset to 1K in size and all TCP connections being closed once the "freeze point" has been reached.

My URL is not the same. I seem to be allocated the server cds419.lon.llwd.net (87.248.211.249), but otherwise the retrieved URL is the same. I'm having the same difficulties getting this to download through a browser as I am through the Telltale client (if I use the browser, I just get a blank output back at the moment).

I can also report that I managed to get Penny Arcade downloaded successfully (the smaller file size seems to increase my chances of success because of the shorter time involved for something to go wrong in). However, it took two attempts - the first time I got the file verification error.

Looks like Telltale and Limelight need to have words to sort out these problems.
This discussion has been closed.