User Avatar Image

Rate the Last Game You Finished

posted by DrRocketGenius on - last edited - Viewed by 15K users
Title says it all. Rate the last video game you completed.

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future - 9.5/10
835 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I dislike zombie mania and I usually hate games that are glorified movies, but I don't mind Walking Dead. It's acted and written well enough that I can swallow it. It does a great job at creating a horribly bleak mood and is pretty expert at making you regret your decisions. Even though, apparently, many of the "choices" are false or hollow, the illusion is successful.

I've only played 3 of 5 so far, so please no spoilers. :mad:

Edit: To be fair, I also liked Telltale's Back to the Future. My love for the trilogy, Christopher Lloyd and real and fake Michael J. Fox are more than enough to carry it for me.
  • Grand Theft Auto IV - 7.5/10

It's a decent game, plot-wise. The PC version is really pretty (and especially compared to the console version), albeit the game world is rather dingey-looking. The story missions feel overly padded with random irrelevant errands; there are no in-mission checkpoints (so if you die you have to start the entire mission over); you can't collect vehicles; and by the end of the game, I was fairly poor, having spent buckets of money on armor and weapons.

I suppose what it comes down to is this:
    Just Cause 2 has a bigger game world and is a lot more fun farting around town but doesn't have nearly as interesting a story. Saints Row 2's story is more interesting and various aspects of the gameplay are more fun, but it's not as pretty graphics-wise.

GTA4 is good for its time. It sets itself as a standard of comparison to which other sandbox games are compared. For myself, I'd say overall it's better than merely decent, but not quite good by comparison to other similar (though likely newer) games.

I suppose what I'm saying is that, at this point in time, if you're looking for a sandbox game with a good story and good gameplay, there are better games than GTA4. If you're looking for a sandbox game that is fun to fart around in, there are other better games than GTA4. It might have been great at the time it came out, but by this point it seems thoroughly middle-of-the-road regarding most aspects.
  • This is the only way to play GTA IV. The only way.

Though, this particular review is just hilarious about... thirty seconds in.
  • Carmageddon and Tsunami mods are also acceptable ways to play GTA IV...
  • StalkerWalker;816706 said:
    The last of us 14/100
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    Hey, at least there seems to be actual gameplay. :(

And Ellen Paige is in it! Although she didn't want to be.
  • Vainamoinen;816914 said:
    Hey, at least there seems to be actual gameplay. :(

And Ellen Paige is in it! Although she didn't want to be.
    But the gameplay isn't good. It's boring and repetetive.
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    Jack Keane and the McGuffin I've forgotten but it was never important anyway 7/10

Some really impressive stuff in there graphically, and it would have been a good deal better if only the controls were working as intended. The finale was a bit meh, the length mediocre and the puzzles - although lovingly crafted - a good bit wanting. The best part was where they stole a puzzle from The Secret of Monkey Island directly. Dialog and character development was abysmal as always, but also as expected. The best part was where they stole dialog from Indiana Jones directly. ;)

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis 8.5/10

When will the man with the hat be back in traditional adventure gaming?!? Will I be stuck playing this forever? Also, the Boris Schneider translation is starting to get on my nerves. The man wasn't a translator and although his MI2 translation has its perks, here it shows. I cringe whenever I read his word by word translations of "Hey there" and other colloquial English stuff.
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited 8/10
    The most messed up and creepy game I've ever played
Add Comment