User Avatar Image

Best Plot Twists

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.1K users
Unable to think of any bad plot twists off the top of my head, I went to TV Tropes to help jog my memory. After battling away the Wikipedia problem several hours later, I found that I wasn't finding a lot of bad ones that weren't already mentioned, but I was finding a lot of good ones (which would be great examples to start this thread with, if I could remember what they were).

So I want to hear from you guys, what are your favorite plot twists?
80 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Any and every episode of The Twilight Zone(1959-1964). Seriously, pick one. Notice that twist? It was pretty great, huh? Yeah, I think so, too!
  • Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back and Bioshock.

/endthread
  • Darth Marsden;394952 said:
    Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back and Bioshock.

/endthread
    Your views of a good twist are kind of narrow, aren't they?

I mean, your winners are "I am your father" and "I am your father".
  • Basically everything from all the Locked Room murder mysteries I have read.

Final Fantasy X had a nice twist.
    The main character never really existed.
  • What I can think of at the moment (aside from The Twilight Zone classic's twists, but RD beat me to that one).
    Soylent Green
    Planet of the Apes
    Fight Club
    Hero and Rashomon do a good job of keeping you guessing until the end, but I don't know if that qualifies as a twist.
  • I hear there's a crazy good one in System Shock 2, but I probably shouldn't hear anything about it, as I've been told that game is required reading playing.

As for games I've actually played, the entire second halves of both The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood and Beyond the Alley of the Dolls. The former was the reason I came to the forums and the latter delivered the same "sucker punched and loving it" feeling. Well done, Telltale.

I'd also like to second Fight Club and toss in Memento.
  • House sesion 5 finalie [SPOILER]he hallucinated himself having sex with Cuddy and getting a detox off vicodin but it was his hallucination playing tricks on him he really went home alone and took vicodin like normal[/spoiler]
  • Just posting these as I think of them.

Two of them from Super Paper Mario. First, the Sammer's Kingdom. Mario's not arriving in time and the consequences, just...wow. Second, the ending, with who the real villain is and Luigi's role.
  • Citizen Kane, with the sled being rosebud..well that's one of my favorites. Also Unbreakable had a good one.
  • Titanic. You think the ship will be unsinkable, but BOOM, iceberg!

That's why James Cameron makes the big bucks, folks.
Add Comment