User Avatar Image

Did you know what a "speakeasy" was?

posted by BrendanK on - last edited - Viewed by 1.8K users
I'm just curious, how many of you understood what a speakeasy was when it was first mentioned in the game?

I myself have never heard the term before, but as the the conversation between Marty and Edna went on I started to get the idea.
54 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yes I did. I learned about it several years ago when we went over Prohibition in 6th grade history class.
  • First for me, and a couple of other people I played the game with.
  • I knew what it was.... I have been a big fan of Gangster films for many years.... and the prohibition is a big part of most.

For those not familiar or not from the states and do not know US history this may be of some interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_in_the_United_States

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speakeasy
  • Oh you mean what a speakeasy was or what the word "speakeasy" meant? I knew what a speakeasy is but I didn't know that word was standing for it in English dictionary. I watched some gangster movies back then but all were dubbed in my native language.
  • I alt-tabbed and wiki'd it.
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    In the given context, it was absolutely clear what "speakeasy" meant. I even involuntarily had German subtitles in my first game, and I didn't know the German word as well at first, so: Learnt two things at once. :D
  • I had no idea, had to look it up. English is my second language and I'm studying to become an English teacher so I need to expand my vocabulary all the time. Adventure games has been teaching me English since I was twelve and I'm glad to see they still do.
  • Already knew, must have picked it up somewhere in the vast number of movies/tv shows I've seen or books I've read. BTTF:TG certainly isn't the first thing I've seen which had stuff set in depression/prohibition era.

Then again, no such prohibition ever happened in Australia :)
  • Molokov;441858 said:
    Already knew, must have picked it up somewhere in the vast number of movies/tv shows I've seen or books I've read. BTTF:TG certainly isn't the first thing I've seen which had stuff set in depression/prohibition era.

Then again, no such prohibition ever happened in Australia :)
    What do you ting would happen if the government tried to restrict booze in Australia? It really wouldn't end well, methinks.
  • divisionten;441862 said:
    What do you ting would happen if the government tried to restrict booze in Australia? It really wouldn't end well, methinks.
    Much like Australia's past attempts to restrict access to the internet.

OOh, brainstorm! Imagine a future about Internet Prohibition, where violent gangs compete for control over illegal cybercafes and banned websites!

So basically, the same as if net neutrality was outlawed.
Add Comment