User Avatar Image

Machinama short: CONTEST! Why not?

posted by lerenwe on - last edited - Viewed by 1.5K users
Hello guys!

This morning, in class, I thought something:

Why not a little contest?
Everybody write a script for a machinama short, and the best script will be on the next short!

So, Mr. Administrator, is it possible? Is it a good idea?

PS: Oh! And if Steve Purcell or Dave Grossman could be judge... :p

So, what do you think of this?
17 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Unless of corse the shorts are planned and made far ahead in advance, in which case we may be too late
  • There could be legal issues with it... unless TTG made it a contest or something.

Hey EMily: it would be a good marketing ploy :-D
  • Legal issues with what? I think he is just referring to writing a script for the shorts, not actually creating them. Is fan fiction part of the legal realm?
  • Actually, if we made the shorts ourselves I think it'd be more legal. Or at least more simple. Having one of us write the script while they produce the short is a bit more complicated, because your work was free but theirs wasn't, and they're under contract but you aren't, and blah blah blah...
  • I'm sure they already at the very least made the scripts for all of them, but as a bussiness they should always be open for new ideas for customer interaction.
  • Doug actually had this idea like three months ago, and then we kept forgetting to ask the lawyers if it would be okay, and by the time the lawyer and I connected about it, it was too late (voice recording had already been done for the final set of shorts). :( (And yes, there are potential legal issues with us creating shorts based on scripts written by non-employees, which is why I had to ask the lawyer about it!)

Definitely something we'll consider for the future, though. I think it's a great idea.
  • Could always just turn people INTO employees :P (Did I mention I'm a writer? :D)
  • Working as a 3D-animator, I would just love to get my hands on the Sam & Max character meshes, just to create some animation myself... but I guess this is out of question.
  • ShaggE;23694 said:
    Could always just turn people INTO employees :P (Did I mention I'm a writer? :D)
    I figure if I hang around long enough on this forum they'll hire me :D :D :p
Add Comment