User Avatar Image

Worth it?

posted by FatDragon on - last edited - Viewed by 2.5K users
I generally appreciate Telltale's previous efforts, I'd probably give the Sam and Max series as a whole a 7.8, Telltale's Monkey Island a 6.5, and Strong Bad a 6 - they've all been worth playing, modestly to very enjoyable, and I'd say that the Sam and Max seasons were worth buying at full price, whereas I'm glad I got Strong Bad on the cheap, and I'd probably only pay $25 for a second season of Monkey Island based on how I felt about the first.

However, I came into each of the above series with a history with their pre-Telltale incarnations, and I liked them all before Telltale was even founded. This time around, I've never had that much enthusiasm for Back to the Future as a series - the movies are alright, but I wouldn't consider myself a fan. So would it be worth a quarter of a Benjamin to pick up the season, or would I be better off giving it a pass or waiting until it comes on sale?
100 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Play the first episode for free.

I personally wish I didn't own it at this point. The first two episodes have been a completely scenic railroad trip through a somewhat weak facsimile of the Back to the Future films with a story that has great ideas but horrendous execution. I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy, it's one of the worst things I've picked up this year, and I'd hesitate to even call it a "game" at all. But hey, you don't have to take anyone's word for it. Play the first episode. The second is more of the same.
  • I wouldn't recommend it for adventure gamers, adults and average plus above intelligent people. I could recommend it in a restricted way for children or stronger BTTF fans.

Beside of this it raises the question how effective it would be to boycott such products in order to forward better communication and a change. As TT is a money driven company this only would be effective if a large degree agrees on such a thing which again is something i doubt will happen. In the end, theoretically spoken, -10% adventure gamers, +30% licence fans doesn't look so bad.

If you want to know what's going on then you can just watch a youtube playthrough video as well. By stopping the video from time to time you can also think about certain solutions and turn this into a video(game) again or you just sit back and enjoy the show. The less there is to play the more this doesn't bother.

As the first episode is available for free you could give it a try on your own and later on compare it to reviews of the other episodes. Or maybe you want to buy it for a reduced price afterwards. There are quite some options but sadly none of them improve the product.
  • I really have to ask, both Taumel and Rather Dashing, what is your angle? Totally understand you guys aren't crazy about Back to the Future, etc. and that's fine, but you spend a lot of time on our forums talking about the game. So I guess I'm just wondering what the purpose is.
  • Taumel and Rather Dashing... Alan is calling you out. lol

FatDragon, since you're not a fan of the series I think you can skip out on Back to the Future. I'm not a huge fan of the series either. I do like the movies but I wouldn't call myself a fan. I did play the Back to the Future games first ep. and it's alright and I will be playing the next eps as well when they get to the PSN. But i think you have to be a Back to the Future fan to really enjoy it.
  • @Alan
    Uhm, i stated my opinion regarding to the question which was asked in the thread?

Doesn't getting some critical words even from users like Silverwolfpet ring some bells?
  • I respect your opinion Taumel and you are entitled to say what you want. But it seems like you (and Rather Dashing) have posted a lot of nasty insults about this game. I know it's not your kind of game but you don't have to keep reminding everyone about that,especially when the people who made the game are actually reading your comments. And why do you continue posting on the BTTF forum if you clearly hate the game?
  • A go away if you don't like it strategy makes sense if you don't care, otherwise it's not this sexy. Secondly stating opinions isn't a hooray party all the time. And last but not least i think it's rather obvious that you also want the devs to read the feedback as that's what feedback is about, hopefully leading to improved future products.
  • taumel;458294 said:
    @Alan
    Uhm, i stated my opinion regarding to the question which was asked in the thread?

Doesn't getting some critical words even from users like Silverwolfpet ring some bells?
    No, I know. I wasn't calling into question the fact that people, including die-hard fans of our stuff, don't like everything about every product we release (the teams damn well try to make them perfect though).
  • taumel;458318 said:
    A go away if you don't like it strategy makes sense if you don't care, otherwise it's not this sexy. Secondly stating opinions isn't a hooray party all the time. And last but not least i think it's rather obvious that you also want the devs to read the feedback as that's what feedback is about, hopefully leading to improved future products.
    That wasn't my implication at all (the go-away if you don't like it strategy), and apologize if it came across as anything more than a query. I was trying to gain some insight on the sometimes not constructive, and verbally cruel/harsh criticism from you guys that kind of take away from the otherwise pleasant tone of our forums. We absolutely want to hear/read/see feedback on our products, and totally appreciate it.
  • As i, other users here, quite some adventure gamers i know who don't frequent this forum, other developers, reviews have noticed TT doesn't succeed this much lately. There are a number of aspects, we already wrote about in quite a number of other threads, like the always present feeling that you're aiming only for good enough instead of great, the bugs, the steering, the lack of communication, design flaws, the general direction TT is heading, which can be rather frustrating for an adventure gamer.

The go away thing was directed at ragdoll556.
This discussion has been closed.