User Avatar Image

Traditional animation vs. 3D animation...

posted by Leplaya on - last edited - Viewed by 8.8K users
I am not that big of King's quest, but I have seen bits of pieces of the games. The only game of King's quest that I remember playing was the 7th one, and that one was the Princeless Bride. I'm not that big into the animation of that one(Since I dislike it when people mimic the Disney style) but my sister likes it and it reminds her of Don Bluth's style. I know the game is likely to be done in 3D but will there be certain parts of the game that will use 2D? Or even better, used for the cutscenes of the game? It would be sweet if that would happen.
164 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Hmm, maybe.. It would give the game that little pazzaz! (or however you spell it. :p)
  • I'm sure the game will use the Telltale Tool, like all the other Telltale games. So no, I don't think the game will incorporate any 2D.
  • Woodsyblue;454830 said:
    I'm sure the game will use the Telltale Tool, like all the other Telltale games. So no, I don't think the game will incorporate any 2D.

SBCG4AP had some 2D effects and it was made with the Telltale Tool, too. And all of Puzzle Agent is in 2D.
  • I just sincerely hope Telltale do not go with the same caricaturish cartoon look as with Tales of Monkey Island et al. That would be so disheartening. King's Quest deserves a look all its own.
  • Nintendo Boy1;454841 said:
    SBCG4AP had some 2D effects and it was made with the Telltale Tool, too. And all of Puzzle Agent is in 2D.
    This is true. I guess I just don't imagine that's the direction they'll take KQ, but I guess only time will tell.
  • It would be nice, as long as it doesn't look like Disney or bluth.
  • King's Quest was always a bit cartoony to me (especially V with all the talking animals), so the move to the full animation style in VII seemed a logical step. And saying in can't look too much like disney or bluth is almost like saying it shouldn't be an animated style at all.

A realistic look would make for a jarring change of tone in the series. You can't get away with some of the things in KQ in an Elder Scrolls like hyper real game. Just TRY to imagine cedric flying in Oblivion (it is not recommended to do this more than three times in one day as it can cause insanity).

It would be interesting though for Telltale to try a new artistic style with this one, but I would much rather have it be somewhat cartoony and have them focus more on making the gameplay more like a Sierra game and less like Lucas Arts. (i.e. the heavy exploration and open world feel Sierra game tended to have)
  • joek86;456593 said:
    Just TRY to imagine cedric flying in Oblivion (it is not recommended to do this more than three times in one day as it can cause insanity).
    Somebody should make a mod like this. And when you enter a cave Cedric will say Hoo- I will wait for you here graham. A rabbit almost killed me once in one of these caves.
  • der_ketzer;456678 said:
    Somebody should make a mod like this. And when you enter a cave Cedric will say Hoo- I will wait for you here graham. A rabbit almost killed me once in one of these caves.
    No just a rabbit, a POISONOUS rabbit!
Add Comment