User Avatar Image

Launcher problem

posted by silence42 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.9K users
when I double click on the icon and the launcher comes up all i can see is the background picture with marty and the deloran...no episode names or button to start the game.
56 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    OK, I tried running the game during a clean boot and it still didn't work.

My firewall is just windows firewall, I guess. Although I do have McAfee as well.
    I have cable for my internet... 2mb. I'm not sure what info is useful :)

That's all useful information already, but nothing seems obviously wrong so far.
    What we could do is log the network traffic of the launcher and look if there's anything unusual.
    Have you ever used Wireshark?
  • Nope can't say that I have. Unfortunately for me I have to go to work now but I hope we can come up with something later.
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    Nope can't say that I have. Unfortunately for me I have to go to work now but I hope we can come up with something later.

Don't worry, I'm around a lot. I'll PM you some instructions for Wireshark later. Maybe that will shed some light onto what's going on in your Network.
  • Alright now I know God is out to get me :P
    Offline doesn't work either! I put in the code I got from the email but then the launcher has the other problem where the background picture is showing but no episodes or 'play' button. And I can't use ctrl+shift because I'm not online! Going online just makes the launcher all black again.

This is so depressing.
  • I might have a way to help you out with that, although I'm not 100% sure it will work. Try adding this file to your Documents/Back to the Future The Game/Episode 5 folder, then re-open the launcher. Make sure you only have BttF Episode 5 installed on your PC when you do this.
  • I got the file but I can't see whether or not it works yet. Hopefully it will.
  • I'm having the exact same problem McThreepwood was/is having. No connection issues, I tried both online and offline mode, tried the attached file with only Ep5 installed, but still nothing.

Has anyone managed to find a solution to this yet?

Edit: Fixed it by requesting the offline activation code.
  • I'm only going to be able to try again next week. Hopefully I'll finally get to play it :P
  • Well, that file didn't help either.
    I guess there's nothing anyone can do.

I'll keep trying to turn it on from time to time, maybe I'll get lucky.

Thanks a lot for all the help, though. Too bad nothing worked.

I'm grateful and I know no one can all foresee problems, especially on PC.

A real bummer for me, though.... I really wanted to find out how it all ends.
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    Well, that file didn't help either.
    I guess there's nothing anyone can do.

You could post a dxdiag log. Maybe there's something useful to see.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.
This discussion has been closed.