User Avatar Image

BTTF Ep 4: Double Visions Predictions thread (Spoilers Warning!)

posted by The Doc on - last edited - Viewed by 5.9K users
After playing Episode 3,I can clearly say Im very pumped for episode 4...I think Edna will somehow kill someone O.o
197 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Kamagawa;476548 said:
    You unintentionally proved my point. The real Marty never actually sees the alternate Marty. Alternate Marty is always outside of Hillvalley.
    But by that logic, every time someone time travels, there should be 2 versions of them when they return to the present; Even at the end of part III there should have been 2 marty's; one with the timeline with the ravine named after Clara Clayton, the other one named after Clint Eastwood.

or at the end of part I, he should have returned to find another marty in his house since this was an alternate timeline

it seems logical that only 1 version of each person can exist per timeline. Yes we see several cases of 2 of the same person but each time, one eventually leaves.
  • Michael J Fox is Canadian;476556 said:
    But by that logic, every time someone time travels, there should be 2 versions of them when they return to the present; Even at the end of part III there should have been 2 marty's; one with the timeline with the ravine named after Clara Clayton, the other one named after Clint Eastwood.

or at the end of part I, he should have returned to find another marty in his house since this was an alternate timeline

it seems logical that only 1 version of each person can exist per timeline. Yes we see several cases of 2 of the same person but each time, one eventually leaves.
    I don't think its an issue. People only get duplicated by timelines when the time-travellers personal timeline is dramatically different to that of the alternate.

In BTTF 1 and 3 Marty's changes don't change his personal timeline dramatically (eventually) just people around him. Afterall how does a ravine's name effect Marty's life?

In BTTF 2 we see an alternate marty (out of town) because the Biff 1985 majorly altered Marty's timeline. He was driven out of town by Biff and was never friends with doc etc and thus not the same Marty.

Same applies to the games really.
    There's not an alternate Marty spawned until the FCB 1886 because its only through changing Doc dramatically that Marty alters his timeline due to lack of doc and timetravelling etc again.

And the duplicates can't be near each other theory therefore pans out.
  • I really am hoping to see Doc's duplicate (the Doc that was duplicated with the DeLorean to 2025) in the next episode.

I have to say, I was surprised by how villainous Edna turned out to be. I was actually doubting that she burnt down the speakeasy (possibly because it seemed too glaringly obvious, which tends to go against storytelling conventions), but now I really think she did.
  • Emo Hoe;476561 said:
    I don't think its an issue. People only get duplicated by timelines when the time-travellers personal timeline is dramatically different to that of the alternate.

In BTTF 1 and 3 Marty's changes don't change his personal timeline dramatically (eventually) just people around him. Afterall how does a ravine's name effect Marty's life?

In BTTF 2 we see an alternate marty (out of town) because the Biff 1985 majorly altered Marty's timeline. He was driven out of town by Biff and was never friends with doc etc and thus not the same Marty.

Same applies to the games really.
    There's not an alternate Marty spawned until the FCB 1886 because its only through changing Doc dramatically that Marty alters his timeline due to lack of doc and timetravelling etc again.

And the duplicates can't be near each other theory therefore pans out.
    Though in BTTF2 and ep2 there are 2 martys at the same time and current marty ALWAYS sees his past self without his past self seeing him. I think it is probably easyer plot-wise because if marty and altermate marty met or were in hillvalley at the same time it may be a bit of a headache. Though jeniffer technically did meet herself, though they both fainted. however, you might meet your future/alternate/past self while wearing a disguise.
    bttf4444;476568 said:
    I really am hoping to see Doc's duplicate (the Doc that was duplicated with the DeLorean to 2025) in the next episode.
    Somehow I don't think that Doc was duplicated.
    bttf4444;476568 said:
    I have to say, I was surprised by how villainous Edna turned out to be. I was actually doubting that she burnt down the speakeasy (possibly because it seemed too glaringly obvious, which tends to go against storytelling conventions), but now I really think she did.
    I still think it is/was Marty, Doc or FCB. Well...at least for the dinomite in the 2nd speakeasy.

If FCB is in 1931, I will both be amazed (because I seem to be the only one expecting it and understands how it can be possible) and demand a cookie.
  • bttf4444;476568 said:
    I really am hoping to see Doc's duplicate (the Doc that was duplicated with the DeLorean to 2025) in the next episode.

Nice twist at the end to see that. I mean christ look what she does to doc at the end and they'd been together 55 years. Very villainous indeed. In the first 2 episodes, she's portrayed as a cranky old lady in the present but a rather likeable noble character in the past. But now we see she has a dark side in the present and past; the next episode should show more of that in both time periods.
    Kamagawa;476575 said:
    Though in BTTF2 and ep2 there are 2 martys at the same time and current marty ALWAYS sees his past self without his past self seeing him. I think it is probably easyer plot-wise because if marty and altermate marty met or were in hillvalley at the same time it may be a bit of a headache. Though jeniffer technically did meet herself, though they both fainted. however, you might meet your future/alternate/past self while wearing a disguise.

Somehow I don't think that Doc was duplicated.

I still think it is/was Marty, Doc or FCB. Well...at least for the dinomite in the 2nd speakeasy.

If FCB is in 1931, I will both be amazed (because I seem to be the only one expecting it and understands how it can be possible) and demand a cookie.
    Marty CAN NOT have burned down the speakeasy, he still has not time travelled to the point the speakeasy burned down and FCB has not time travelled at all yet.
  • I really hope they DON'T have FCB1986 Jennifer time travel around with Marty and permanently replace the "normal" 1986 version (from the end of Part III, that is) somehow. Just a thought I had that kind of made me grimace.

Yes, it's nice to see more of her, it's nice to see more character development, but I want to see the movie version! This one seems kind of shallow, like her whole existence is defined by rebelling against the crazy establishment. Marty wins her over not through any legitimate means, but because he doesn't make a fool of himself whilst playing guitar. We know that original timeline Jennifer can't be quite that shallow, because, as seen in Part II, she stayed with him after his hand got smashed in the wreck with the Rolls Royce, and he was always awful at playing guitar afterwards; yet she's still married to him 30 years after the wreck.

And yes, I realize basically the indication is that a person is mostly the same person whatever the events they've lived with are; but still, I think it would be kind of disappointing. :(

Anyway, as for actual predictions I feel more sure of... most of them have to do with episode 5, but ah well, here goes:

Marty's dream in episode 1 will be an important, key plot point in episode 5, as will the OUTATIME liscense plate. It might actually happen, or at the very least it is directly relevant to whatever will be going on.

We may have to time travel to 1985, due to something with the above.

If we see the time train, Clara, or Jules and Verne, it will be in episode 5.

If we see the good ol' pink hoverboard, it will be in episode 5.

If we get to control the Delorean at all, it will be in episode 5.

We'll see 2011 in Episode 5, and 2011 Marty and Jennifer of some sort. Jennifer will be played by Claudia Wells minus the digital alteration. Marty, though...?

Some sort of lampshade hanging joke will be made at flying cars and hoverboards' expense in 2011. I suspect Marty will say something to the effect of, "are you sure that's gonna happen, Doc? We didn't screw up the timeline and prevent them, did we?"

We'll see at least one new time period in Episode 5 that we haven't seen before (besides 1985, which is pretty similar to 1986). We may also see 1931 again, but we've been seeing lots of 1931, and I'm kinda hoping Episode 4 concludes that; yeah, it's interesting, but we want to see more time periods in this game than just the one year!

First Citizen Brown and regular Doc will somehow both appear in episode 4. Not sure if this will be at the same time, but we'll interact with both of them.

The whole second Delorean (and second Doc?) quandry, if it's going to be explained any further, should probably come up in episode 4 rather than waiting for the last minute with episode 5.

Episode 5 will feature several stops to repair the timeline, perhaps back and forth, several things Marty has to fix. Also, the best the puzzles are going to get, I think; if there's any time for a difficulty spike, that's the one.

I don't know if we will, but I kind of want to see a wacky refit Delorean. Through each of the movies, the Delorean was always changing; first the Mr. Fusion and flying circuits (well, technically, the hook thing was first, but that was a temporary addition), then the huge vacuum tube hood-mounted time circuits and the '50s whitewall tires, and then railroad wheels. I'd love to see some crazy stuff done to the Delorean before this game's over, too; in fact, FCB might come up with something a bit different right in episode 4, we can hope?

------------------------

And now for the crazy wild-mass-guessing that may never come up at all: the George McFly (and quite possibly Lorraine, too) of the primary 1986 (the one we saw in episode 1, as well as the end of Part I and III) knows what's going on. All of it, give or take.

I've been thinking about it a bit. In 1955, George and Lorraine meet this very memorable stranger who had a huge impact on their lives inside a single week. Some dude named Calvin Klein. Lorraine was obsessed with him and would probably at least remember his face; George had plenty of reasons to remember him, too, as that strange man who kept sequestering him, trying to talk him into getting together with Lorraine in spite of how interested in "Calvin" she was.

George also had a strange encounter in the middle of the night in his bedroom with an "alien", Darth Vader from the Planet Vulcan, who waved a strange raygun at him and used some kind of sound device to blare horrible noises in his ears, demanding compliance in regards to, again, going to the dance with Lorraine. The same thing Calvin Klein wanted, if he ever stopped to think about that in 30 years.

In 1985, when George is a successful... what, exactly? Office guy? Accountant? His first novel comes out. Yeah, that's nice, and might be successful, but they did say it was his first novel. Anyway, it's called "A Match Made in Space" and has "Darth Vader" right there on the cover. This suggests he remembered what happened and was inspired to write a book about it, at least; but how much more he understands...? And hey, he's been working on that book for a while. It's probably got some root in the notes he was messing with way back in 1955.

But, now, here's the thing. In 1985, Darth Vader, the planet Vulcan (and the salute), Calvin Klein brand clothing including some suspiciously familiar (to Lorraine) purple underwear they have in stock in Hill Valley stores that year, hairdryers, audio cassettes, headphones, and the very same Van Halen song- which Marty likes and owns a copy of, and must sound weirdly familiar to George- all this stuff exists. And their kid looks JUST LIKE "Calvin Klein." Meanwhile, if they ever got curious enough to look it up- wouldn't you?- they'd discover that the real Calvin Klein who owns the company bears no resemblance to the mysterious stranger from 1955; unlike Marty. Clues are everywhere!

And then there's the matter that "Calvin Klein" ALSO accurately predicted that said kid would set fire to the living room rug when he was 8. Calvin Klein, who looks exactly like Marty. This has got to be weirding them out.

You might think, "Ah, maybe George thinks Lorraine cheated on him with 'Calvin Klein', who she's had a secret liason with all this time!"- but she might have an alibi, they could maybe do a paternity test (did they have those in the 70s though?)- since Lorraine must be just as baffled as George-, Marty looks a lot like some old family portraits and does seem physically related, and besides all that, they seem to have a pretty happy marriage in 1985, so...

And then there's the fact that their kid is hanging out with the resident mad scientist, Doc Brown. Granted, he's never built anything that works, but...

George is a smart guy, and Lorraine seems to be fairly smart too. What if they figured it all out?

Marty wouldn't have to know that they knew. Maybe they asked Doc first. Doc, knowing darn well what's going on from his own part in the events in 1955, would give them a whole speech about not knowing too much about your own future, about not messing up the timeline, and how they should be very careful not to let Marty know they know until he's actually time traveled. Maybe they'd agree to wait on Doc giving them the go-ahead before they talk to Marty about it.

...but then, they have no way of knowing once he has time traveled. Maybe they're a bit suspicious when he shows up wearing his Clint Eastwood getup. But they never get the go-ahead from Doc because no one's seen him by May 14th, 1986; no one knows what's going on with him but Marty and Jennifer, and they assume the time travel is a secret and should stay that way.

....so all of this would explain why George stayed inside Doc's lab in 1986 when Marty ran out to check on the Delorean crashing up the driveway; he peeked out the windows, and went, "ah ha!," but didn't stop to explain to Marty just yet. (Biff didn't check it out because he was semi-unconscious from the incident with the amplifier).

...but, he did show up standing right next to the time machine- I mean, RIGHT next to it- when Marty showed up in his "model T factory uniform"/"Halloween costume (in May)", made a brief quip at the silly clothes, and assured Marty, "I'm sure you know what you're doing." He practically saw him off, just short of seeing the actual time travel for himself.

Maybe this will come up in episode 5? :)
  • Michael J Fox is Canadian;476582 said:
    Nice twist at the end to see that. I mean christ look what she does to doc at the end and they'd been together 55 years. Very villainous indeed. In the first 2 episodes, she's portrayed as a cranky old lady in the present but a rather likeable noble character in the past. But now we see she has a dark side in the present and past; the next episode should show more of that in both time periods.

Marty CAN NOT have burned down the speakeasy, he still has not time travelled to the point the speakeasy burned down and FCB has not time travelled at all yet.
    Thats why i said for the dinomite. According to what we know about the timetravel mechanics used in the storyline, the original speakeasy arsonist was not Doc, Marty or FCB and the dinomite being found was too much of a coincidence. The dinomite might be obtained in a similar fashion to the lighter (i.e) FCB could do something that makes marty end up with dinomite before he leaves for 1931...again).

just to troll a little...
    do yourself a favour and watch an anime movie called the dissapearance of haruhi suzumiya.

At the end, the main character gets saved by his future self.

Second, If Marty can't be the arsonist because he hasn't done it yet, then BttF 2 is invalid because he hasn't lived to 2015 yet. Also he shouldn't be able to have a future self then as it implies he already did everything and went back to 1985 and lived till 2015. Further, by the same logic, if you time travel to the future, you don't have a future self as you havn't lived to the future as you time travelled there. You should actually be on record as a missing person or something.

End of trolling

You see me trollin, you hating.
  • Mitsukara;476602 said:
    In 1985, when George is a successful... what, exactly? Office guy? Accountant? His first novel comes out. Yeah, that's nice, and might be successful, but they did say it was his first novel.
    It was his first novel, but presumably he was already a very successful short story writer. He was already known for being an author when he's murdered in Part II.
    Kamagawa;476603 said:
    Second, If Marty can't be the arsonist because he hasn't done it yet, then BttF 2 is invalid because he hasn't lived to 2015 yet. Also he shouldn't be able to have a future self then as it implies he already did everything and went back to 1985 and lived till 2015. Further, by the same logic, if you time travel to the future, you don't have a future self as you havn't lived to the future as you time travelled there. You should actually be on record as a missing person or something.
    According to Zemeckis and Gale, when you go to the future, you go to the most likely future given the circumstances of your timeline. 47-year-old Marty was based on the likely events: that Marty would return to 1985, grow to be 47, and live a normal--but slightly depressing--life.
  • doggans;476609 said:
    It was his first novel, but presumably he was already a very successful short story writer. He was already known for being an author when he's murdered in Part II.
    Oh yeah, good point. I overlooked that. :)
Add Comment