243 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Undoubtedly the best one so far.

Story has become pretty great, especially after a long build-up. The tension is easy to be felt by the end of the episode, and that DAMN cliffhanger was just UNHOLY.

Puzzles... still lack complexity, but the system of solving puzzles is broken by itself as there aren't really much hotspots and inventory items to begin with. It's a popcorn game/movie/something and I believe it's what Telltale aims to accomplish. Still I felt like puzzles in this episode were twice as stronger than the first two episodes combined. Guitar duel was good and actually fun to play, Biff "fight" scene is again not that convoluted but it's something different (as it's based on timed events rather than Biff waiting for you to do your move) which I would call a "gimmick", but still, it felt more like a game. What I realized in this episode is that the only thing making the puzzles actually hard to figure out is the LACK of hotspots. Sometimes what you think is not implemented in the game and if you think about it too much, chances are you completely disregarding the very obscure hints given by the game. See, you could make use of this psychology. A witty puzzlewriting is to give the illusion of having many options but only having one straight way. There are many ways to do it, by still retaining the main structure of the puzzle. For example, not everyone is able to get that you have to use the spray can on the plank in the first glance, but why limiting it to be used in only one screen of the game to make it easy? There are many other options of using the spray can to make Einie leave a trail, such as spraying it anywhere else he passes by, but it's not established why we can't do it anywhere else other than on the plank, because that's the only hotspot we can use it on. Or you could try making the player think hotdog is the way to catch Einie, but no. Playing around with player would be the most entertaining thing to do when you're a game designer, and besides, player wants to be played around in this case. I mean, design a puzzle but also set misleading traps, like reading your players' minds! That would increase the gameplay time, I'm pretty sure.

Characters felt more alive in this episode, except for one mayhaps, that being Jennifer. At first I wasn't sure with Jennifer's voice (weird enough, she's voiced by her real actress) but she sounded perfect as I got used to it. I like how Lorraine and George sounds, too. What's better than their sounds is that their characteristics, except Jen. She's nothing like the girl we knew from movies, her character shifted more than other characters but it wasn't that much of a bad contrast. It is also true that original Jennifer didn't really have much characterization to begin with, so anything is an improvement. Actually, including Jennifer, all characters are executed so well and this episode all characters have a handful of lines. For the first time I had that significant BTTF feel by the slight characteristic shifts of the characters. All were subtle and believable. This episode also had 3 villains, a record for any Telltale game or episode perhaps; Leech, Biff and Edna. All three were wonderful and actually put Marty to danger or distress by less brutal means (save for Biff but he's doing what he does best) which was great. And AJ, I see you're on forums atm, I hope you're reading this, you're as awesome as ever. Keep rockin 'n rolling man.

Environment was a great touch. At first I was thinking of HOW boring it would be to play in Hill Valley, again, NOW full of cement; but it actually looks a lot larger -despite the fact that there are probably less scenery than the previous episodes.

Animation; I still have a beef with it. At least put a good animation sequence in the last episode, like how you guys did with Hugh Bliss right before the final confrontation. He looked so lively and all.

I actually liked this episode, liked it a lot for the pace of the story, and I believe getting used to the crap factor of the first two episodes helped me make that decision. I'm now not expecting much but to see a great storyline and I guess at least I'm getting it.
  • They actually have a "Star Wars" Reference in the game. While Loraine is cleaning the statue I checked the intercom and Marty says We're fine. We're all fine here, now, thank you. How are you?" The same quote Han Solo says before shooting the intercom in episode IV.

Nice touch =P
  • KaiRubix;474757 said:
    They actually have a "Star Wars" Reference in the game. While Loraine is cleaning the statue I checked the intercom and Marty says We're fine. We're all fine here, now, thank you. How are you?" The same quote Han Solo says before shooting the intercom in episode IV.

Nice touch =P
    They also had a Dukes Of Hazzard reference aswell, When marty was stuck in the billboard Jennifer said "Which one are you, Bo or Luke?" I thought that was a good laugh.
  • I have to say that without a doubt was amazing. Exploring the new Hill Valley and getting to experience the changes was fun as hell. I do love the Jennifer from this 1986 without a doubt. She's awesome.

Needless to say I can't wait to see the next part. It can't come soon enough. Keep up the great work.
  • smallo;474764 said:
    They also had a Dukes Of Hazzard reference aswell, When marty was stuck in the billboard Jennifer said "Which one are you, Bo or Luke?" I thought that was a good laugh.
    And also, the method through which they brainwash people is clearly a nod to A Clockwork Orange - making people feel physically ill when they consider criminal actions. That and the shot of Doc with his eyes clamped open as he undergoes the "procedure" are definitely nods to that film.
  • Guess I'm going to be the first one to give a negative review.

To me this wasnt BTTF at all. Started out okay with marty making cracks about Mr. Fusion being under warranty and referencing 2015. We do get to see all our characters who would be alive in 1986 under different cirumstances (other than Needles whom they had copyright issues with and Marty whom is normal) but NO time travel? It was basically the anti-biffhoric timeline; instead of a dangerous hill valley, it seemed far too similar to the future in demolition man; credit fines for everything and emmet brown and edna basically as raymond cocteaus character split (emmet the good site, edna the evil side). It was basically just an exploration of the town and very little references to the previous films/episodes aside from some 1931 references and the 2015 reference mentioned above.

Now the ending was good, pretty much from the part marty lands in the decycling underground lair and having to battle edna and biff and emmet finding out the truth so at least I have hope for the next episode although I'm already sick of the FCB 1986 and hope that most of that we get whisked back to 1931 fairly quickly.

But I remember after playing episode 2, i was excited to see walkthroughs on youtube to see what i missed. I've watched both the first 2 episodes after playing but have little interest seeing this one again.

So yeah honestly the only parts i liked were the meeting with doc in his office and the underground part. The town square parts and mcfly garage parts were awfully boring and I didn't care for them. It was mildly ammusing seeing a wussified biff but overall this was easily the worst episode of the 3 so far for me.
  • I'm right there with Falanca. Best episode of the 3 so far, and I've loved them all. Personally, this one seemed more...intense near the end than the last ones. Plenty of references abound as well, such as the peanut brittle in the McFly garage. But the thing that got me the most was the acting. Every actor/actress amped it up in this one, even Biff's VA. And, of course, that UNHOLY cliffhanger, to borrow Falanca's phrasing.
  • The most brilliant stroke of the game is when you ask about your siblings, Dave and Linda. You're told Dave went to a big city newspaper and Linda went to some sort of women only housing.

Dave: Marc McClure who also played Jimmy Olsen in the Superman movies
    Linda: Wendy Jo Sperber who was in Bosom Buddies

Bravo to the writing team.
  • unclehighbrow;474798 said:
    The most brilliant stroke of the game is when you ask about your siblings, Dave and Linda. You're told Dave went to a big city newspaper and Linda went to some sort of women only housing.

Dave: Marc McClure who also played Jimmy Olsen in the Superman movies
    Linda: Wendy Jo Sperber who was in Bosom Buddies

Bravo to the writing team.
    Also late in the game, edna makes a reference to "Mr. Wilson" with Biff around and marty says biff isn't much for humour (Thomas F Wilson is primarily a comedian)
  • I really liked episode 3, it really gave me the BttF vibe of "Shit, what did we screw up this time?"
    Running around this bizarre Hill Valley gave me that feeling of seeing Marty running
    around the 2015 Hill Valley in the movie.
    And I really liked Claudia Wells' voice acting. Wouldn't mind hearing more of her in future TellTale games.
    The guitar Battle was fun, I really like that sort of puzzle.
    Finally seeing Lorraine was great too, was about time.
    And I wanted to like young and old Edna in 1 & 2, but that is pretty much over.
    That witch needs to get hers, and soon.
Add Comment