User Avatar Image

Loop hole in the BTTF universe? *SPOILERS*

posted by Hituro on - last edited - Viewed by 698 users
OK, so by Emmet not going to the movie and hooking up with Edna, And then when Marty and Doc go back, Doc disappears while they're in the car. When Marty arrives in the alternate 1985, my question is, if that doc didn't exist, and the new one never invented the time machine, hence all the things they changed in 1955 never happened, meaning Doc never built the time machine, then why didn't the time machine disappear as well? Also, why didn't Marty disappear as well? I mean, in BTTF2 they explained that while time changed, since they were in the time machine, the time stream changed around them, but then wouldn't Doc not disappear?? Just seems like a loop hole. Unless Doc did build a time machine in secret without Edna knowing. But even then, if the events in 1955 were never changed, and the time machine was never built then it would also effect the changes made in 1885 and 1931. Unless someone wants to explain this to me. But I don't think Doc Should have disappeared.
21 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think it's the same way that Old Biff disappeared in the deleted scene from BTTF2... he caused himself to retroactively become dead,* which has awkward existence failure side-effects.

    *Because he never would have gotten the life-extending rejuvenation in the future, and because this Doc is several years older than the Citizen Brown Doc, Doc in this new timeline wouldn't live long enough to be as old as he is, so he can't exist... Yes, neither can the time machine, but I think what happens is that no matter how much you screw up the timeline, the changes affect time travelers themselves more slowly, and it seems the changes will always impact the time machine itself last, if ever.
  • As Bob Gale said: It's just a movie. Game.
  • I tend to agree with AwesomePossum. Hehe, cool username by the way.

    I'd rather just enjoy the game/movies. If I pick on every single little thing, it would never end. You are right, Hituro, totally right! I just prefer to tone down the "Logic"-dial just a bit when playing this series. It's much more fun that way. :p
  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator
    Like LuigiHann said, Doc and Einstein ceased to exist because without going for rejuvenation treatments, they are now dead. When your actions in time travel in cause you to die, the disappearing effect happens quickly as shown with Biff in Back to the Future Part II.

    The time stream doesn't catch up to Marty as quickly because Marty has only time traveled for weeks rather than years like Doc and Einstein, so he is still the correct age in 1986. The DeLorean still exists because time is still being written, as explained at the end of Back to the Future Part III. Doc exists in 1986 as Citizen Brown, so the DeLorean still has a chance of being invented. (It's like why the photo didn't disappear at the end of Back to the Future Part III even though it just showed grass. Time was still being written, since Doc would have to put up the tombstone showing his death after Marty got back to 1985 in order to prevent a paradox).
  • Because the timeline seems to be very slow in catching up with marty and the delorean.
  • Jennifer;475297 said:
    Like LuigiHann said, Doc and Einstein ceased to exist because without going for rejuvenation treatments, they are now dead. When your actions in time travel in cause you to die, the disappearing effect happens quickly as shown with Biff in Back to the Future Part II.

    The time stream doesn't catch up to Marty as quickly because Marty has only time traveled for weeks rather than years like Doc and Einstein, so he is still the correct age in 1986. The DeLorean still exists because time is still being written, as explained at the end of Back to the Future Part III. Doc exists in 1986 as Citizen Brown, so the DeLorean still has a chance of being invented. (It's like why the photo didn't disappear at the end of Back to the Future Part III even though it just showed grass. Time was still being written, since Doc would have to put up the tombstone showing his death after Marty got back to 1985 in order to prevent a paradox).

    Omg you're right, I totally forgot that even though Doc is with Marty, he's much much older than the Doc of 1986 due to the excessive time travel. Plus who's to say Edna doesn't bump off Doc at some point in Doc's future. And also, that makes sense about the Delorean. It's almost like the car is the photo of the grass, rather than the objects in it. Also I remember in Back to the Future II, when Marty went back to alternate 1985, he didn't erase, and his clone was off in Switzerland. So yes, you're right, it makes sense now. Thanks for clearing that up! :)
  • I would think the car would work the same as objects like the photographs work. The picture of the tombstone remained even after the grave dissapeared even tho there is no way they would have taken a picture of the empty site that would later replace that one.
  • But why is there a photo of grass? I know that Doc's tombstone ceased to exist but surely over the years, somebody elses grave would be located there instead.
  • Masta23;475785 said:
    But why is there a photo of grass? I know that Doc's tombstone ceased to exist but surely over the years, somebody elses grave would be located there instead.
    thats just a movie gimic, yes there should have been a different grave there but it would confuse the audience if there was the name of a character they didnt know there and if it was one of the existing characters that they were saying was buried there instead it wouldnt rule out that doc might have just been buried somewhere else.
  • Hituro;475628 said:
    Omg you're right, I totally forgot that even though Doc is with Marty, he's much much older than the Doc of 1986 due to the excessive time travel. Plus who's to say Edna doesn't bump off Doc at some point in Doc's future. And also, that makes sense about the Delorean. It's almost like the car is the photo of the grass, rather than the objects in it. Also I remember in Back to the Future II, when Marty went back to alternate 1985, he didn't erase, and his clone was off in Switzerland. So yes, you're right, it makes sense now. Thanks for clearing that up! :)
    Well actually we don't know if theres another marty in swizerland and another doc in a mental institution, it is never stated nor denied.

    Doc is at least 15 years older than he should be (his children are already to go to college) and we have no clue how long he was time traveling prior to bringing Marty to the future.
Add Comment