User Avatar Image

Wouldn't it be cool?

posted by BLACK_HAWK94 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users
If like in the novel, TellTale implimented the Infant Tyrannosaur that killed Regis?
Like perhaps show a charactor who stumbles upon the infant eating his corpse?
26 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • BLACK_HAWK94;483781 said:
    If like in the novel, TellTale implimented the Infant Tyrannosaur that killed Regis?
    Like perhaps show a charactor who stumbles upon the infant eating his corpse?
    While that would be cool, Telltale wasn't able to license the use of the novels. They only have the rights to the films.

    Now that's not needless to say we won't stumble upon another dinosaur eating the corpse of a park employee or something though. It does appear that we will get a glimpse of what's left of Nedry.
  • I wonder how it is they are able to license the movies, but not the novels. You'd think since the novels were fully sold to Universal for the movies, that if you licensed the movies you'd get a two-fer on the source material as well. I know I've seen other JP games, comic books, etc. based on the movies that reference or contain element of the novels before.
  • jurassiraptor;483833 said:
    I wonder how it is they are able to license the movies, but not the novels. You'd think since the novels were fully sold to Universal for the movies, that if you licensed the movies you'd get a two-fer on the source material as well. I know I've seen other JP games, comic books, etc. based on the movies that reference or contain element of the novels before.
    Hard to say. Maybe Universal gave the rights back to the Chrichton family after his death, or it's possible that Universal didn't feel the novels were necessary to be part of the package deal when Telltale sought the rights to the game. Personally I'd love to see games based on the novels to give that familiar yet new feel to the story.
  • User Avatar Image
    Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    It could just be that Universal only optioned the books for movies at the time, so the only IP they have to license on to videogames are the movies themselves.

    They likely don't own all the rights to the book.
  • What Shinaz describes wouldn't surprise me. That's fairly common in the book->movie field of films. For example: Peter Jackson and Newline jointly own the Lord of the Rings as far as movie franchises go. The Tolkien estate owns the books. It's also how they were able to change from Newline for the coming Hobbit movies. The new company (can't remember who it is...I think Universal, but don't quote me on that) was going to have someone else direct and the I.P. owners on the Tolkien side said movie rights were contingent on Jackson directing.

    Then you add in the added difficult layer for figuring these things out: IP rights revert after a period of time, and eventually go public domain and/or open to reserving rights if they don't have a production run every so often.
  • Sinaz20;484012 said:
    It could just be that Universal only optioned the books for movies at the time, so the only IP they have to license on to videogames are the movies themselves.

    They likely don't own all the rights to the book.
    One thing I dont get about this. Where is the line drawn between what you get from the novels and your ideas? Do you sometimes go and say "You know what, this would be AWESOME!" before someone says "Sorry, its been done in the novels".

    I mean certain concepts and events in the novel can be pretty broad and generic, I'm just worried how this can impact the story you guys want to tell due to seemingly petty restriction.
  • Bombillazo;484386 said:
    One thing I dont get about this. Where is the line drawn between what you get from the novels and your ideas? Do you sometimes go and say "You know what, this would be AWESOME!" before someone says "Sorry, its been done in the novels".

    I mean certain concepts and events in the novel can be pretty broad and generic, I'm just worried how this can impact the story you guys want to tell due to seemingly petty restriction.
    Explain more?
  • Does this probably mean that EVERYTHING which isn't used in the movie but somehow in the novel is NOT LICENSED?

    eg.: the raft-on-the-jungle-river scene.
    even if TELLTALE do not use Grant and the kids on the raft but instead somehow Harding or some other characters try to use the jungle river and ride in a raft...even if that is the case, it could be ILLEGAL because it's a novel-element which wasn't used in the movies and thus TTG do not have the rights to implement that?

    or underground tunnels? or the safari hotel? is that movie or is it only novel canon? has the safari hotel to look different than it is described in the novels because it has only been mentionend in the movie-brochure but never been shown?

    is a juvenile t-rex also novel-ized and thus not permitted to use?

    what about the aviary itself? it appeared only in the novel....

    maybe someone can clear some things up for me ;) thanks!
  • tope1983;484485 said:
    Does this probably mean that EVERYTHING which isn't used in the movie but somehow in the novel is NOT LICENSED?

    eg.: the raft-on-the-jungle-river scene.
    even if TELLTALE do not use Grant and the kids on the raft but instead somehow Harding or some other characters try to use the jungle river and ride in a raft...even if that is the case, it could be ILLEGAL because it's a novel-element which wasn't used in the movies and thus TTG do not have the rights to implement that?

    or underground tunnels? or the safari hotel? is that movie or is it only novel canon? has the safari hotel to look different than it is described in the novels because it has only been mentionend in the movie-brochure but never been shown?

    is a juvenile t-rex also novel-ized and thus not permitted to use?

    what about the aviary itself? it appeared only in the novel....

    maybe someone can clear some things up for me ;) thanks!
    My guess is that they can use Novel ideas.
    The JP license is prolly mainly to use the environment, Dinosaur models and sounds etc. Thats my guess though.
Add Comment