User Avatar Image

Folding@Home

posted by TelltaleTool on - last edited - Viewed by 1.8K users
If anyone is interested, I created a Telltale Games team for the Folding@Home project. If you're not familiar with Folding@Home, it's a distributed computing effort that uses lots and lots of volunteers' CPUs to process large volumes of data quickly. In this case, it's used for scientific and medical research. The whole thing runs at the lowest priority setting, so it should never interfere with or slow down your own work on the computer. You can learn more at http://folding.stanford.edu/

Our team is number 58833, and you just need to plug that team number in when you install the program if you want to join. right now, it's just me, and is sort of sad:
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=58833
35 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Mel
    I signed up but my name isn't showing up on the list...
  • It doesn't show up until you submit a work unit, which can take awhile. If you look at the client while it's running, there's a pie chart in the lower left showing the progress of the current frame (which is a smaller unit, of which there are a couple thousand per official work unit). to the right of that is a second pie chart showing the progress of the whole work unit. Alternatively, under "WU End" you should see an estimate of when the client will finish that work unit.
  • User Avatar Image
    Mel
    I'm going to have to try and get it working later (I installed it on my school computer and I'm off for the next 6 days). I got as far as double clicking on install.bat but the name and password I used weren't accepted. Although now thinking on it, I wasn't logged in as the Administrator.

It's a really neat idea. I had never heard of this before. :)
  • Er... if you're installing on Windows, I think you grabbed the wrong installer. You want the first one in the list, the "2000/XP/Vista Graphical client"
  • On the bright side, I'm doing my part to help fight scary diseases.

On the brighter side, I found a new way to crash my computer!
  • User Avatar Image
    Mel
    tabacco;25818 said:
    Er... if you're installing on Windows, I think you grabbed the wrong installer. You want the first one in the list, the "2000/XP/Vista Graphical client"
    That was the first one I tried. My computer at school is weird and it started to install and all the install windows flashed up and went away so I tried the no-frills one (which didn't work either) then the SMP beta.

I installed the first one at home and it went like clockwork. It's running now. :) The silly question I have, do you need to be online for it to do its thing?
  • SMP is for multiple processors :)

You need to be online for it to grab work, but not for it to actually work on it.
  • User Avatar Image
    Mel
    Thanks. :)

I'm working on Supervillin!

:D
  • I'm in!

Glad they have a linux client. My university machine can start to be useful for a change ;)
Add Comment