User Avatar Image

The Realm of Dreams and Nightmares

posted by Davies on - last edited - Viewed by 1K users
This thread was inspired by Chyron's mention of a nightmare in General Chat.

Have you ever experienced a particularly wonderful dream or an extremely nasty nightmare? Here's your opportunity to share your memorable moments in that bizarre realm of the subconscious.

I've had many a dream of "waking" up within my dream. The worst one was about a year ago...

I dreamt that I was laying on my bed at the home I was raised in, there were no lights on and the only illumination came from the moonlight, which was seeping through the windows. I arose from my bed and exited my room, only to see a flickering light emanating from the crack beneath my Sister's room's door. I could also hear the faint sound of whispering coming from within the room, so I slowly opened the door and saw a group of six young adults sat on the floor in a circle around a small camp fire.

They all stopped whispering and turned their heads to look at me, with a sinister smile upon their faces. Within a heartbeat the group jumped to a standing position, pulled out large knives and rushed at me. They surrounded me and pierced my flesh multiple times whilst laughing joyfully. Then at the point of death I "awoke" back in my bed in the same house. Only this time I exited my room and attempted to quietly walk away from my Sister's room by going down the stairs, but before I could reach the first step, the group of murderous youths burst out from my Sister's room and butchered me again.

I found myself back in my room, laying on the same bed. I made no attempt to leave my room this time and instead I put my back against the door in order to barricade myself in. The group formed in the corridor outside and repeatedly threw their weight against the door. It didn't take long for them to smash their way in, at which point they gleefully took my life again. When the macabre process began for the fourth time, I knew there was no way out of this terrifying situation and so I ran out of my room and in to the corridor where predictably the group awaited. I ran straight at them, letting out a battle cry as I did so.

Of course I was no match against them and as I fell to the floor, feeling their blades enter my body, I laughed manically. I had accepted my fate of eternal torture and in doing so had slipped into the realms of insanity. When I died this time however, I awoke back to reality. The sense of relief was palatable but I was severely shaken by the whole experience.
39 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • dashing told me his friend's favorite punisher story yesterday and i basically relived it in dream form. Ehhhhhhhhh...
  • Sharing dreams huh?

I can't say I've had a dream in a while.

But to contribute, I suggest that one should look up a Japanese PS1 game called LSD: Dream Emulator.
    (Only commercially available on the Japanese PSN store, but its not exactly hard to find...)
    (Also hunt down the book and the CD if you can *cough*youtube*cough*)

Its based on a woman's dreams that she recorded.
    Its a fascinating experience to say the least.
    (Can't call it a game since all you do is walk around)

EDIT: Here's a vid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62IR-bs4hNo&feature=fvwrel
  • RetroVortex;505145 said:
    I can't say I've had a dream that I can remember in a while.
    Fixed
    RetroVortex;505145 said:
    But to contribute, I suggest that one should look up a Japanese PS1 game called LSD: Dream Emulator.
    (Only commercially available on the Japanese PSN store, but its not exactly hard to find...)
    (Also hunt down the book and the CD if you can *cough*youtube*cough*)

Its based on a woman's dreams that she recorded.
    Its a fascinating experience to say the least.
    (Can't call it a game since all you do is walk around)
    That sounds... awesome. I'll be giving that a play for sure. Naturally, I'll be flying to Japan and buying a PS3 over there in order to do so. *cough*
  • I've been having this recurring dream for the last decade or so.

It takes place in this rather bizarre mall that varies between three and four stories in height. I've dreamed about it enough times now that I could actually blueprint it out, if I had any skill in blueprinting.

The first floor has an arcade filled with identical racing game cabinets. They're unremarkable except for the fact that the steering wheels are replaced with Styrofoam cups. The ceiling of the arcade is mirrored, for some reason.

The centerpiece of the first floor is a large clothing store. Whereas most of the stores in the mall are oddly understocked, this one is filled to the point where you can barely maneuver. Again, unremarkable except for an enormous gumball machine facing the display window.

Further down is a magazine shop, one of two stores that carry extremely disturbing merchandise. Instead of the usual magazines, they carry collections of crime scene photos, medical pictures, and general gore. There's a set of TVs bolted above the racks that show graphic eye surgery on loop.

The second floor has generic storefronts that I haven't seen in detail yet.

The third floor is where I usually end up, and it changes every so often. There's usually a small dark movie theater on the far left that I never entered, followed by a huge bookstore that only has two shelves of books, then a game store, also near empty, thinner but tall, and what I guess is a normal mall cafeteria.

Once in a while, between the theater and the bookstore appear a restaurant and another arcade. The restaurant is like a building all its own, with two floors and a bowling alley. The arcade has all sorts of insane cabinets, like a one-button Street Fighter clone with a six foot by six foot screen, a House of the Dead cabinet with photorealistic graphics and a surprisingly in-depth story (one dream was entirely dedicated to me playing this), some other weird but generic lightgun shooters, a big DDR machine, and a top down racer.

Out in the parking lot is a small but well-stocked video store. It has red streamers hanging from the ceiling, and almost nothing but horror movies. Some rare videos, but nothing special until you come across one shelf with authentic snuff films. Hundreds of VHS tapes with titles scrawled on them and a date underneath. Somehow I knew that these were legitimate murders filmed by the killers and given to this store. I've only been there once.

Until last night, there were always very few patrons in the mall, but it was absolutely packed this time.

I have NO IDEA what's up with these dreams, but I thought it'd be interesting to share.
  • ShaggE;505149 said:
    Lengthy description of prophetic vision
    [CENTER]image
    "If you build it they will come... but you might want to leave out the gore mags and snuff movies."[/CENTER]
  • Davies;505150 said:

"If you build it they will come... but you might want to leave out the gore mags and snuff movies."
    But that's my hook to get customers in! :(
  • ShaggE;505152 said:
    But that's my hook to get customers in! :(
    Fair enough but don't say I didn't warn you when you've got a mall full of the kind of people who enjoy perusing through magazines stuffed with surgical photos and watching videos of a serial killer's murders...

...thinking about it, perhaps it's a mall for trainee surgeons and police looking for evidence.
  • When I was on zopiclone I had pretty horrible dreams where I'd be bathing in a giant tin of maggots and massive versions of people I knew would stand around the tin emotionlessly watching on and preventing me from escaping.
  • Davies;505154 said:
    Fair enough but don't say I didn't warn you when you've got a mall full of the kind of people who enjoy perusing through magazines stuffed with surgical photos and watching videos of a serial killer's murders...

...thinking about it, perhaps it's a mall for trainee surgeons and police looking for evidence.
    OF COURSE! Police cars have Styrofoam cup steering! My god, it's all coming together! My subconscious is telling me that cops love gumballs!

... Thanks, subconscious. Really helpful.
  • Ah! I do remember I had a strange dream once.

It was just like a normal day.
    I was sitting somewhere (where exactly I have forgotten), watching videos on youtube, then I decided to watch Tribute by Tenacious D.
    (I love Tenacious D! :D)

About half-way through watching the video, it suddenly changed to demonic, satanic imagry, with loud screams and strange sound effects playing in the background.
    I tried clicking off it, but it wouldn't stop, and thevpicture on the screen was also expanding out of the screen, eventually consuming my vision.
    Then I woke up, cowering in fear.
    I think I might have screamed in the dream, but no one said anything, so I don't think I physically screamed.
Add Comment