User Avatar Image

Ideas that you were beaten to/weren't aware has been done.

posted by tredlow on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users
Ever had an awesome idea for a movie/game/TV show/comic/invention, only to realize that someone has beaten you to it or it has been done before?

I had an idea of a movie where a guy journeys from heaven to hell to rescue his wife. I was shocked and saddened when I found out that it was a novel AND a movie adaptation already.
33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • A couple of times I'll have nice ideas that I'll file away to develop in some way or another at some point, only for someone else to do something incredibly similar a couple of years later. It's like they're reading my mind or something.

One example was Gen X, which I thought would make a nice TV show. It was basically what if the concept behind X-Men - mutants and their struggle to fit in - was actually set in the real world and not the comic one where things like lasers and aliens exist?

Then, a couple of years down the line, Heroes comes alone. It's not quite the same thing, but it's similar enough to make me think 'Huh. Kinda what I was thinking.'

There's others, but that's probably the best example.
  • Lightbulb. Apparently some jerk figured it out already.
  • Man, the toaster was totally my idea.
  • Im telling you, it was MY idea to create a game starring a dog and a rabbit, MY IDEA
  • This is not a joke. A pheonix as an instrument of capital punishment. Frakking Bleach....
  • coolsome;516315 said:
    Wizard school!!!
    Yeah, but that didn't stop JK Rowling, so it's fine.

Also, I had an idea for a movie like Tron, but the computer world is like the normal world. Damn you, Matrix.
  • I thought it would be cool to have a movie character realize he's a movie character, and trying to break out of it. I forgot which movie that was but it's basically the same idea, just that the guy is a character in a book someone is writing at the moment and plans to have him die.

So I guess my idea IS different enough to go for it, because in my story it would all have developed in a completely different way.

The other way round however, is also interesting.
    I've made Mario fangames, and some elements of those have later been used in official Mario games, such as the Ice Flower (complete with the ability to freeze enemies to blocks and kick them) and the giant Bowser chase from NSMBWii.
    Most probably coincidence, but still cool that some ideas I had have later been had by the team who made the official games.

I think there were some more but I can't think of anything atm.
  • Guinea;516323 said:
    I thought it would be cool to have a movie character realize he's a movie character, and trying to break out of it. I forgot which movie that was but it's basically the same idea....
    The Truman Show?
  • Exiles the TV series!

Oh wait....
Add Comment