User Avatar Image

Where did docs delorean come from

posted by yoman45135 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.3K users
Hi theres something that really bugs me that hasnt been explained but im sure it has a simple explanation...

In outatime edna steals the time duplicated delorean and goes and fcb dies but then origanal (or at least almost original) doc comes back but where did his delorean come from? Did he make a new one because that seems a bit silly to me but whatever.

Please answer this quickly because my future depends on it.
52 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well, this HAS been discussed on other threads before, but that was a while back, so no sweat!

The key to understanding this is to realise that the Doc we see in Ep 5 is not really the 'original' Doc (from the movies and the first two Eps). THAT Doc was permanently erased from existence at the end of Ep 2, though his Delorean 'survived' and was used by Marty and FCB Doc in Eps 3 and 4, before being stolen by Edna in Ep 5.

In Ep 5 though, after Emmett becomes a scientist free from Edna's influence, the FCB timeline is erased and replaced with a new timeline, virtually identical to the timeline at the start of the game. However, there are some differences, most notably in Doc's history. THIS Doc is the grown up version of the Emmett Marty interacted with in 1931...he remembers dating Edna, and had a better relationship with his father and was therefore a more respected figure in Hill Valley. In this timeline, he and Clara moved back to 1986 after the events of the movies. THIS Doc thus didn't make the initial trip back to 1931 which Original Doc did, and he didn't get stuck in 1931 or go through the events of the first 2 episodes. He has followed a different path from that of Original Doc's, and therefore his Delorean has followed a different path from that of the Original Doc's Delorean (which Edna stole). Of course, both Deloreans are technically the same car, albeit from different timelines...Doc's Delorean is an alternate version of Edna's Delorean. Of course, they can't both co-exist indefinetly, and eventually the ripple effect does catch up with Edna's Delorean and erase it from existence...
  • ah thanks for the quick reply and also the explanation is fantastic bravo ;)
  • Also worthy of consideration; when does ednas delorean end up at the end of episode 5 once the automatic retreival system kicks in? Does it go to 1986 and become the delorean marty will use at the beginning?
    I like to think that docs delorean is a future version of ednas. This doesn't fit properly in the 'hill valley destroyed' timeline but not a lot does there!
  • Michael J Fox is Canadian;544323 said:
    Also worthy of consideration; when does ednas delorean end up at the end of episode 5 once the automatic retreival system kicks in? Does it go to 1986 and become the delorean marty will use at the beginning?
    I like to think that docs delorean is a future version of ednas. This doesn't fit properly in the 'hill valley destroyed' timeline but not a lot does there!
    Um, I'm not sure I get you there...why would the automatic retrieval system kick at the end of Episode 5?

First of all, I think the system would have been destroyed anyway when the Delorean crashed in FCB 1986 at the end of Episode 2. When Citizen Brown spent six months fixing that Delorean I seriously doubt he would have bothered fixing the auto retrieval system (if he even knew of its existence which is EVEN more doubtful!)

Secondly, at the end of Ep 5, 'our' Doc (the 'new' Doc or whatever you want to call him) unequivocally states that the other Delorean faded from existence.

They are two separate Deloreans from two different timelines...and eventually, one 'overwrote' the other in true BTTF fashion, causing the other to be erased from existence.
  • Michael J Fox is Canadian;544323 said:
    Also worthy of consideration; when does ednas delorean end up at the end of episode 5 once the automatic retreival system kicks in? Does it go to 1986 and become the delorean marty will use at the beginning?
    I don't think that Edna's delorean disappeared because of the automatic retrial. Wouldn't do that much longer ago assuming that after Edna's arrival in 1886 she didn't even touch the delorean?

I doubt the automatic retrial was even created in that version of the delorean. But I am still confused on how it disappeared because the time should have caught up to it in the citizen brown timeline.

anyway back on topic, there is some information that sn939 forgot to mention and that is why doc's delorean returned. He only mentioned why it exists.

Basically Marty looked at the 1986 newspaper noticing it changed and he fixed the timeline. So he gave the explanation message to doc and told him not to read it until he got the keys to the city. Once he read it he understood everything and came back to get Marty.

That is why Marty said "It worked". That was his escape plan. Otherwise he would be trapped in 1931 forever.
  • Tornreaper;544337 said:
    I don't think that Edna's delorean disappeared because of the automatic retrial. Wouldn't do that much longer ago assuming that after Edna's arrival in 1886 she didn't even touch the delorean?

I doubt the automatic retrial was even created in that version of the delorean. But I am still confused on how it disappeared because the time should have caught up to it in the citizen brown timeline.

anyway back on topic, there is some information that sn939 forgot to mention and that is why doc's delorean returned. He only mentioned why it exists.

Basically Marty looked at the 1986 newspaper noticing it changed and he fixed the timeline. So he gave the explanation message to doc and told him not to read it until he got the keys to the city. Once he read it he understood everything and came back to get Marty.

That is why Marty said "It worked". That was his escape plan. Otherwise he would be trapped in 1931 forever.
    As far as the automatic retrieval goes, Edna's Delorean WAS the one in which the system was originally installed, however, I guess it was simply destroyed at some point during the Game, presumably during the crash at the end of Ep 2.

And I agree, how the Delorean was able to survive in the Citizen Brown timeline is a mystery...then again, I suppose its the same way it was able to survive in 1985-A in BTTF2. Actually a lot about the Citizen Brown timeline and how it came about doesn't make and is inconsistent with BTTF2 (for example, Original Doc being erased but Marty and the Delorean surviving, George and Lorraine reverting back to the Twin Pines versions as though Marty's 1955 trip never happened etc).

As for the bit about Doc and the newspaper...yeah, that's right. I didn't bother mentioning it because I interpreted the question as being about HOW Doc's second Delorean existed, and not about how Doc figured out Marty was in 1931...
  • sn939;544352 said:
    As far as the automatic retrieval goes, Edna's Delorean WAS the one in which the system was originally installed, however, I guess it was simply destroyed at some point during the Game, presumably during the crash at the end of Ep 2.

And I agree, how the Delorean was able to survive in the Citizen Brown timeline is a mystery...then again, I suppose its the same way it was able to survive in 1985-A in BTTF2. Actually a lot about the Citizen Brown timeline and how it came about doesn't make and is inconsistent with BTTF2 (for example, Original Doc being erased but Marty and the Delorean surviving, George and Lorraine reverting back to the Twin Pines versions as though Marty's 1955 trip never happened etc).

As for the bit about Doc and the newspaper...yeah, that's right. I didn't bother mentioning it because I interpreted the question as being about HOW Doc's second Delorean existed, and not about how Doc figured out Marty was in 1931...
    I kind of assume it has something to do with how the FC still being invented. Remember? all his notes were removed except for the FC. But then that brings new questions. Citizen Brown doesn't remember the time machine but he remembers the notes. Only the ideas would exist. And then of coarse that would erase Marty's time traveling adventures. Not to mention in this timeline they didn't even know each other.

Stuff like this could maybe be answered with back story in a comic book or collectible Intel in this next game.
  • sn939;544315 said:
    THIS Doc thus didn't make the initial trip back to 1931 which Original Doc did, and he didn't get stuck in 1931 or go through the events of the first 2 episodes.
    Then why did he still have the information about Marty's ancestors that the original Doc went back in time to get? I seem to recall that being one of the big reveals in the ending, the whole reason Doc went back to '31 in the first place.
  • Scnew;544421 said:
    Then why did he still have the information about Marty's ancestors that the original Doc went back in time to get? I seem to recall that being one of the big reveals in the ending, the whole reason Doc went back to '31 in the first place.
    I guess he went back in time but didn't bother looking for the Arsonist. which is ironic really because in EP1 he said if he wasn't arrested Marty would never be able to come to 1931 causing a paradox.

In fact the automatic retrial wouldn't even kick in because he wasn't arrested. but I don't think they should focus on paradoxes, because the way I see it, a paradox is impossible to avoid with time travel.

Example. You are given a time machine and you can alter one thing. So you decide to save your best friend who was killed in an accident. But then you wouldn't go back to save him because if you saved him why would you go back in time for that reason? He never died.

Realism with sci-fi almost never works. I just find it odd that they would mention paradoxes in the first place.
  • The initial purpose for doc going to 1931 was to find Marty's grandmother, other than possibly the destroyed hill valley timeline, the McFly bloodline doesn't change (actually even in the destroyed timeline if you look at georges pic he's still there). Heck even the FCB timeline 'carl sagan' still visits hill valley in 1931
Add Comment