Telltale Autumn Sale

The Great Sherlock Thread

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Who here’s getting Testament of Sherlock Holmes?
  • edited September 2012
    Noname215 wrote: »
    Who here’s getting Testament of Sherlock Holmes?

I am I been eying it since E3.
  • edited September 2012
    Haggis wrote: »
    I don't know what the DJ was referring to with that broken image, but there was also an Agatha Christie anime series and accompanying manga: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agatha_Christie's_Great_Detectives_Poirot_and_Marple

Aw the link broke. :( Anyway, it was Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century.

I've been eagerly awaiting Testament for what feels like forever now. When's it coming out?
  • edited September 2012
    I was Sherlock Holmes for Halloween last year.
  • edited September 2012
    Tabloid newspaper pads out space by claiming "Sherlock" will come to an end because the actors are too busy

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s129/sherlock/news/a404783/sherlocks-third-series-to-be-its-last.html

Even more bizzarre are the comments beneath the article. Apparently, and I wasn't aware of this, "Sherlock" is 'crap' and 'doesn't work' and uses up budget originally allocated to "Torchwood".:confused:
  • edited September 2012
    Even more bizzarre are the comments beneath the article. Apparently, and I wasn't aware of this, "Sherlock" is 'crap' and 'doesn't work' and uses up budget originally allocated to "Torchwood".:confused:

wtf_is_this_shit2_RE_73_Million_Sharks_Killed_Every_Year-s468x349-71815.jpg
  • edited September 2012
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/205650/

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes pre order on Steam.
  • edited September 2012
    Ribs wrote: »

If it's impossible for the victim to have done it himself, the rules are wrong.
  • edited September 2012
    I don’t give a fuck if Moriarty was murdered. As long as Holmes didn’t do it.

oh, no...
  • edited September 2012
    Want to know what books CBS thinks Sherlock Holmes has been reading?

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/24052.CBS_Elementary_Bookshelf

This is apparently a list of books shown on his bookshelf in the pilot episode of Elementary.
  • edited September 2012
    That movie Zero Effect kind of felt like a modern-day Sherlock Holmes movie, if Holmes was a slacker and he only did business through Watson.
  • edited September 2012
    That movie Zero Effect kind of felt like a modern-day Sherlock Holmes movie, if Holmes was a slacker and he only did business through Watson.

Great movie, but I think the comparison to Nero Wolfe (with Darryl Zero as both Wolfe and Archie, depending on whether he's working or not) stands better.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited September 2012
    The Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective Adventure Mysteries Kickstarter failed, but thankfully the games are being made anyway. :D

The first three mysteries are out now on iPad 2 and higher. They say that they will be coming out for PC and Mac in a few weeks. I'm glad that these are still being made, as they are among the kickstarter projects that I was most looking forward to. :)
  • edited September 2012
    New Sherlock Holmes game in Frogwares series is out. This is the launch trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAF8HhliZSk and here's part of the gameplay - http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/09/14/the-testament-of-sherlock-holmes-developer-walkthrough

I'm not sure what to think, it looks ok I guess. At least, Sherlock doesn't resemble Robert Downey Jr. :D
  • edited September 2012
    New Sherlock Holmes game in Frogwares series is out. This is the launch trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAF8HhliZSk and here's part of the gameplay - http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/09/14/the-testament-of-sherlock-holmes-developer-walkthrough

I'm not sure what to think, it looks ok I guess. At least, Sherlock doesn't resemble Robert Downey Jr. :D

I pre ordered but they haven't sent it out yet!
  • edited September 2012
    Season 2 of Sherlock is now available to stream on Netflix Instant, for all zero of us who were waiting for that
  • edited September 2012
    I wana make a kickstarter..Sherlock Holmes Boxing!
  • edited September 2012
    I just received my copy of The Testament of Sherlock Holmes. Awesome!
  • edited September 2012
    I just received my copy of The Testament of Sherlock Holmes. Awesome!

I'm still waiting for mine but I'm glad it sounds good.
  • edited September 2012
    l_1317906626-53.jpg

And honey you should see me in a crown!
  • edited September 2012
    So, what was "Elementary" like? The CBS website won't show me the first episode, probably on some tenuous grounds of international geography.
  • edited September 2012
    Oh, it's aired? I'll have to check it out online after work. (Google 'watch elementary online' - I've been using WatchSeries, and GorillaVid, to watch series 3/4 of Castle and it works a treat in the UK)
  • edited September 2012
    As I predicted and is no surprise whatsoever, it did absolutely superb in the ratings, improving on the Mentalist who already was doing superb in the same slot. Seems it'll be CBS' big winner this year, following the tradition set by The Mentalist, Hawaii Five-O, and Person of Interest before it with relatively average procedurals becoming the biggest show of the season.

(I'll never forget Person of Interest for depriving us of the planned Abrams pilot in which Emerson and Terry O'Quinn solve crimes together as eccentric billionaires)
  • edited September 2012
    Ribs wrote: »
    (I'll never forget Person of Interest for depriving us of the planned Abrams pilot in which Emerson and Terry O'Quinn solve crimes together as eccentric billionaires)
    What... I...

...want...

Just about to watch Elementary. I'll report back.

EDIT: Well, that was... hmm. Pretty much what I expected. Not very good, for one. Also, a rip-off of every. Single. Quirky. Crime show. It's like it took elements from all these other shows - Castle, Monk, Sherlock and the like - and threw them into a blender, hoping something good would come out. But it didn't. It was strangely flat, the writing felt rather forced and the plot was actually rather weak, with the deduction of what happened not really coming from anywhere and the big twist at the end being pulled right from the writer's arse. It also seems as if the writer don't know what people from England actually talk like, as I found Sherlock's dialogue quite bizarre at times. We don't really use the word 'prat', for example.

I dunno. There were certain elements (a-ha!) about it that could have worked, but it just didn't gel together. I might try another episode, but I don't have high hopes.
  • edited September 2012
    Lucy Liu as Watson... *sudders*

Seriously, they couldn’t have fucked up Sherlock Holmes as much as they did with Elementary. It’s just embarrassing to watch.
  • edited September 2012
    And there's not even a decent reason for him to be in the US! Gah!
  • edited September 2012
    Wiki "The idea of a fictional series having a "canon" was first used by fans of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes series"

WOW! I never knew that. Thats rly cool!
  • edited September 2012
    That... that actually is pretty neat. And relevant! Woo!
  • edited October 2012
    Did anyone else apart from me and Noname play The Testament of Sherlock Holmes? It was a rly good game it had flaws with graphics sounds and sometimes puzzles just not giving you any clue how to solve them but the good parts outshine the negatives and its a charming game and worth a play.
    And you play as his dog! that's worth a go just for that!
  • edited October 2012
    I wonder if they’ll do another game after that one, hopefully a prequel. It would be cool if they did a game if you played as Young Sherlock Holmes.
  • edited October 2012
    I wonder if they’ll do another game after that one, hopefully a prequel. It would be cool if they did a game if you played as Young Sherlock Holmes.

I want a spin off as
    the dog Toby Homes
  • edited October 2012
    Like this?
    MV5BMjA0NjMyMTg4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDIwNTAwMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

Or like this?
    sher.jpg
  • edited October 2012
    Both.
  • edited October 2012
    Anyone here remember 'Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century'? Is it worth watching?

EDIT: Also, a not particularly glowing look at Testament.
  • edited October 2012
    Snapshot_20121003_3.jpg
  • edited October 2012
    Anyone here remember 'Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century'? Is it worth watching?

It's fairly good fun - y'know, as these things go. Nothing to write home about.

Oh, and a review of "Elementary". I still wanna watch it

http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2012/10/review-elementary-pilot/
  • edited October 2012
    coolsome wrote: »
    Snapshot_20121003_3.jpg

Bloody showoff...

Nah, I have the complete collection. I also have a bunch of anthologies of Sherlockiana.
  • edited October 2012
    So the second episode of Elementary... better than the first. Seems to be settling into a quite watchable show.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.